Peter Jones in Sunday Independent | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Peter Jones in Sunday Independent

Jan 29, 2006
Canterbury
I remember that one Tyhee, back in 2008. They felt it as far up as Hartlepool and someone died in Barnsley, even though the epicentre was in Lincolnshire.

Certainly felt that one where I was (South Leics)... about 1 in the morning - very strange experience, a bit gutted I'm not still in Notts to have experienced the recent quake.

Could hear/feel the joists of the house straining, and the deep rumble... weird feeling but quite a buzz

Sep 3, 2009
Graham Clark":239hq1g3 said:
After being away I have managed to catch up with the recording of the Supporters Meeting on YouTube. Peter Jones comments in the Sunday Independent were a verbatim quote from the comments he made at the meeting. Seeing the context of his comments in the meeting they were an amalgam of bewilderment and disappointment that attendances were lower than expectation despite, as he put it, the 'product' being better on the pitch.

Compared to two years ago Memberships are down around 15% at between 3,800 and 3,900. Checking back on the breakdown of the last figures publicly available only around 50% of Memberships were full price, the rest being concessionary or part membership. Additionally on checking John Lloyd's excellent but under reported Supporters Survey (with over 800 respondents) less than 10% of respondents had supported the club for less than 10 years. Only 40% of respondents were resident in Plymouth.

Although, not overwhelmingly conclusive , the objective evidence points towards the club failing to connect with its local population and potential future supporters. In the last three years the unity and support that was endemic upon the club's exit from administration has evaporated shipwrecked by over promises and under delivery. However, the new revised grandstand proposal does give the football club an opportunity to properly embed itself within the heart of the community and offer facilities that can be used most days of the year that will in turn, combined with the adjacent Life Centre, should enable it to be a focal point of the community.

What I perceive is that some of the heart of the club has gone missing and its relationship with the supporters has been adversely affected as a result. In my view it is imperative that the the new facilities within the grandstand ensure that it can fulfil its role as a focal point in the community. That means proper openly available supporter's bars, meeting rooms, conference and banqueting facilities being provided. Linkages with the Life Centre and better integration with what Central Park has to offer should assist in reinforcing the focus of getting Argyle at the heart of the community and with it the opportunity of growing longer term committed support.

In my view, it is not the 'product' on the pitch that will alone dictate future attendances but it is the commitment to ensure, particularly if public money is involved, that the facilities offered in the new grandstand and how they are integrated within the wider community that will play a significant role in the future development of the football club. Included in that is ensuring the capability to expand capacity, but the facilities must come first. It is an opportunity that must not be wasted.

Careful, Graham - sounds dangerously like a sensible strategy...

Seriously, a boost to the flagging grandstand proposals with something new and workable is, as you say, a golden opportunity. Hopefully, Mr Jones, as a self-styled brand and marketing guru, will be all over it like a rash. If not, why not?

Dec 7, 2006
Graham Clark":7vlvilhz said:
After being away I have managed to catch up with the recording of the Supporters Meeting on YouTube. Peter Jones comments in the Sunday Independent were a verbatim quote from the comments he made at the meeting. Seeing the context of his comments in the meeting they were an amalgam of bewilderment and disappointment that attendances were lower than expectation despite, as he put it, the 'product' being better on the pitch.

Compared to two years ago Memberships are down around 15% at between 3,800 and 3,900. Checking back on the breakdown of the last figures publicly available only around 50% of Memberships were full price, the rest being concessionary or part membership. Additionally on checking John Lloyd's excellent but under reported Supporters Survey (with over 800 respondents) less than 10% of respondents had supported the club for less than 10 years. Only 40% of respondents were resident in Plymouth.

Although, not overwhelmingly conclusive , the objective evidence points towards the club failing to connect with its local population and potential future supporters. In the last three years the unity and support that was endemic upon the club's exit from administration has evaporated shipwrecked by over promises and under delivery. However, the new revised grandstand proposal does give the football club an opportunity to properly embed itself within the heart of the community and offer facilities that can be used most days of the year that will in turn, combined with the adjacent Life Centre, should enable it to be a focal point of the community.

What I perceive is that some of the heart of the club has gone missing and its relationship with the supporters has been adversely affected as a result. In my view it is imperative that the the new facilities within the grandstand ensure that it can fulfil its role as a focal point in the community. That means proper openly available supporter's bars, meeting rooms, conference and banqueting facilities being provided. Linkages with the Life Centre and better integration with what Central Park has to offer should assist in reinforcing the focus of getting Argyle at the heart of the community and with it the opportunity of growing longer term committed support.

In my view, it is not the 'product' on the pitch that will alone dictate future attendances but it is the commitment to ensure, particularly if public money is involved, that the facilities offered in the new grandstand and how they are integrated within the wider community that will play a significant role in the future development of the football club. Included in that is ensuring the capability to expand capacity, but the facilities must come first. It is an opportunity that must not be wasted.
Maybe it's time for Cowdery and his ineffective/complacent/clueless (delete as appropriate) cohorts to move on and let a new, more forward-thinking and imaginative communications team take over? Christ knows they seem to have been there since the year dot. :problem:

I have occasionally wondered about the merit of the Bradford City ticketing model. I don't know if it is still the case, but whilst in our division they halved their ticket prices and doubled their numbers, with 12-15000 crowds regularly achieved. Of course this doesn't increase ticket revenue, but the spin offs in terms of shop sales and the impact of a big crowd on team performance was, in their case, substantial. Would be a very brave move though.

Aug 15, 2008
Argyles Communications department was cutting edge in the 70's... Its still the same now.....

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Andy_S":10f86rmo said:
Our problem, with home crowds, is that the opposition don't bring any/many supporters with them.

If you compare the away numbers that Argyle provide, against the pathetic numbers that come to HP, we dip out big time.

Consider this (courtesy of GoS)

Cambridge, 1st game of the season, we took 1200 to their ground.

Wycombe, top of the league, they bring 143 to us.

This is a good point. I'd guess that, on average, we supply several hundred more 'customers' to opposition clubs than they provide to us each game. Let's say 300 people @ £20 each (most travelling fans will be full price), so that's £6000 per game. Over a 23 match league season that's almost £140000 - not to be sneezed at.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Andrew_Holcombe":o5ydsmar said:
BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME. THINK MK DONS.

I'd rather not!

Think Darlington