Points needed to secure play off spot? | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Points needed to secure play off spot?

May 3, 2007
Liskeard, Cornwall
72 to 74 points normally secures a playoff place.
We have 60, so could need 12 to 14 more to get sixth or seventh spot.
We have three very winnable home games, Wimbledon, Tranmere, Mansfield and a difficult one vs Burton this Friday.
Could get something at Pompey and Carlisle but the last away day at Shrewsbury could be nervy.
We should get 12 from that lot, 14 looks doable with a bit of good fortune.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
when you put it like that Rhino it looks far from easy,in fact the run in looks quite difficult.Tranmere and Carlisle are battling against relegation so will be more than up for those games. Burton and Shrewsbury are battling for automatic promotion so again will be more than up for it.Portsmouth at Fratton won't be a walk in the park either....

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
70 for me too. With our goal difference meaning rivals will need 71 that will be a tall order for Luton and Stevenage.

Feb 21, 2011
If we did manage to sneak 7th I only hope Bury manage to sneak automatic as over two games in the league they have made us look very ordinary, fancy us to beat any of the other contenders over two legs though.

Nov 29, 2011
Plymouth
Yeah, I think we only 10 more points as well. None of the teams fighting to get in, including us to be fair, are in great form so I struggle to see them overtaking us with our goal difference if we got to 70.

May 3, 2007
Liskeard, Cornwall
Good points, especially as (I am told - thanks Graham!!) many of the other teams around us are playing each other, if you see what I mean, so will take points off each other.
I would be very confident we can get 10 from those 7 games.

Aug 24, 2011
jerryatricjanner":12ai668y said:
70 for me too. With our goal difference meaning rivals will need 71 that will be a tall order for Luton and Stevenage.

Especially when there playing each other on the final day!

Mar 23, 2011
Fareham
I think 12 is needed, Stevenage's run in is not too bad and arguably better than ours. Their next 6 after Burton are all against mid table fodder/ relegation candidates and 4 of those are at home.

Wheras we have Burton H, Portsmouth A which are quite tricky. Looking at our fixtures we would scrape 12 together, it will be close! Unless we capitulate....

stewthenoo

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 24, 2005
YELVERTON
OK, we're on sixty now, 7 games to go. I think 81 points should see us safe. :whistle: :thumbs: :scarf:

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
We are averaging slightly over 1.5 points per game, if that were to continue for the next seven games we would end up on 70 points. Just to make sure we need a purple patch of three consecutive wins.

I think our superior goal difference will be the telling factor after 46 games.

Jun 15, 2013
Superior goal difference makes me feel comfortable. At least no other teams will get over us if both scored same points at the end of season.

Poolepilgrim

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 16, 2005
Okehampton
Another way to look at is if we get 11 points from our 7 games with our goal difference teams below us will need the following to finish above us

Stevenage & Luton 14 points
Northampton 16 points
Exeter 17 points

I would usually relish prediction threads like this, but Argyle have been so unpredictable this season, i could easily see us losing a home game against Wimbledon, cue loads of wailing and nail biting, then we win away at Shrewsbury to secure a play off spot.

In other words, none of those games look easy to me, and there are going to be a few more twists and turns. But it's enjoyable compared to the last few seasons... :scarf:

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
hometown5":1p2omryt said:
Superior goal difference makes me feel comfortable. At least no other teams will get over us if both scored same points at the end of season.
Agree. If we get the 10 points for 70 both Luton and Stevenage will need 13 points from 7 games which would be first or second place form which although quite possible is a tall order for them. I do think looking at the table that Stevenage will look at their point at Burton as one gained rather than two dropped in the grand scheme of things.