Pre Season Match Thread - Reading U21s | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Pre Season Match Thread - Reading U21s

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
Hall and Lane on Boateng and ? off

Jul 2, 2014
kernow19":3v6oy7ie said:
Cobi Budge.":3v6oy7ie said:
Still no pre season clean sheet...worrying.

Indeed. Micormack obviously not in the form he was last season. Hope Bittner makes a speedy recovery to give him some competition for the #1 spot.
this has more to do with our defense than Luke. He was well protected last season by a five man defense. This season, we will have just four backs and will concede more, but (hopefully) score more too. The fault will not necessarily have anything to do with Luke's abilities. Given that we have one of, if not the, best keepers in the Division, a lighter defense and more offense may make sense.

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
Jul 2, 2014
I wonder if Semedo is a loan target. Plays in the exact position that we need a player for. Reading have McCleary and Blackman as there starting right wingers.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
Decent enough test that was but would have liked us to have had more shots on target but both goals were well worked with Carey firing from outside the box and a great turn and finish by Reuben (I know it's only pre season but he looks near enough back to his old self)

Jun 18, 2015
Cobi Budge.":1w23g4nl said:
Still no pre season clean sheet...worrying.
Hopefully McHughs injury is just a precaution if he was in the back four we would of kept a clean sheet thats how much I rate the guy hes the best center back we have had in years my personal favorite player and a rock in the back. Would be the first name on the team sheet for me and bar injury or an unlikely dip in form I would play him every game.

Jun 11, 2012
Fairly enjoyable game.

Newbies:

Sawyer - 6 - Fairly good. Sensible distribution.
Boateng - 8 - I know it's a friendly, but he looks potentially superb. Big, strong, quick, and so comfortable on the ball. Can get forwards as well as sit and defend.
Carey - 8 - Clever little footballer. Lovely left foot.
Simpson - 6 - He's failed to stand out so far in pre-season, but still optimistic going by other fans' reviews.
Wylde - 7 - Extremely quick, but lacks composure. Definitely a threat.
Jervis - 7 - He's a good component of the fluid front 3. He's mobile despite his size, and a nuisance for defenders.

Aaron Kuhl's a cracking little player for Reading.

Jun 27, 2013
From my point of view, good run out for the lads but need to work on defence, as solid as Sawyer was he should be experienced enough to work out straight away that their #10 was stronger on his left & show him the touchline instead of constantly letting him inside, also when Cox came on why wasn't he playing the holding role allowing Boating to venture forwards? That aside, pleased enough with the work out & confident that with a few tweaks & an on loan RM (despite him playing on the left flank Somedo could be an option) to give him competition will be a force to be a force to be reckoned with this season.

Mar 14, 2009
The advantage of playing that reading team is you can tell alot of them have played together over a course of a season. This meant their knew their roles and looked like a team that has gel'ed. So why it might not of been the team people wanted us to face, the advantage is this team were very much a functional unit.

Now. Argyle will frustate people l feel this season. There is no doubt there is a set piece/crossing issue. Can DA sort that within the next two weeks? I doubt it... Its a problem that goes back under the JS reign. Argyle have physical enough players to deal with it but just dont.

The fullbacks are exposed too. Doesnt help when mellor gives the wide player ground and walks back into our area most times.

Then there is McCormick. Alot of people may not remember but in the mk1 era he flapped at crosses but gradually got better. Its noticeable today someone has told him to command his area. Except, at times he mis-judged and they hit a post 1st half when he got caught in no mans land. I think he has been told to be more pro-active in his area so may take time getting use to his more positive role.

Argyle took more command of the 2nd half. Was this because Reid played down the middle instead of Brunt? Was it because Reading subbed 3 players at start of 2nd half? Maybe a combination of these factors.

Boateng stood out. Loves to get forward from deep and passes the ball very well. Wylde adds width and pace although thought his final ball was poor today.

Argyle attacked with pace, and always had people high up the pitch ready to counter. They mixed up the passing and there was some decent deliveries into the box. The pleasing aspect was that bodies got into the box.

If people want a solid Argyle where you get a goal ot two and maybe sit on the lead...well l dont think thats going to happen. I see many fans frustated because of not getting results early doors due to defensive frailties. Yet if you want to see an attacking Argyle who look good on the eye then you hopefully you will be pleased.

My worry initially is teams stay compact against us. Use our set piece frailties and pick us off to get the result.

What is needed still player wise? A right sided mid to help the balance of the team. The reading right side mid, who was left footed would suit our team very nicely. Good delivery and trickery, as he was reading's best outlet.

Mar 21, 2008
Boateng is a player judging by that performance, probably the best player on the pitch by quite a way and Reuben looks sharp and quality, which is a good job with Brunt looking as much of a league 2 version of Rory Fallon as he did last season.

Dissappointed with Simpson, he was just completely anonymous and I can't even be kind and say he does the jobs people don't notice because the ball just seems to pass him by as he jogs around lost.

Wylde flatters to deceive, looks promising especially against considerably weaker opposition but when it comes to the crunch doesn't seem to have the final ball or shot.

Carey on the other hand looks decent as does Jervis who's rapid!

Nov 4, 2012
Rob_GT4":2q0th037 said:
Boateng is a player judging by that performance, probably the best player on the pitch by quite a way and Reuben looks sharp and quality, which is a good job with Brunt looking as much of a league 2 version of Rory Fallon as he did last season.

Dissappointed with Simpson, he was just completely anonymous and I can't even be kind and say he does the jobs people don't notice because the ball just seems to pass him by as he jogs around lost.

Wylde flatters to deceive, looks promising especially against considerably weaker opposition but when it comes to the crunch doesn't seem to have the final ball or shot.

Carey on the other hand looks decent as does Jervis who's rapid!

Simpson is coming back from injury in fairness and is probably still regaining fitness.

KCJ

Nov 23, 2011
Fairly pleased with todays match, can be sure already of much more entertaining football this coming season. Forward movement mostly very positive especially first half. Rueben when he came on looked close to being fit and the new midfielders are improving every match. If there are concerns then Sawyer was lead a proper old dance by Readings right hand side, he followed their winger inside on almost every occasion allowing the wing back into space which Wylde wasn`t coming back to cover. Also Luke seems a bit out of sorts and not very vocal - possibly missing a experienced Goalkeeping coach ? Very pleased with the way the team is being kept almost the same each fixture, if there are no more additions you can probably ( give or take Mchugh) pick our first choice eleven already.

Jul 7, 2006
In the first half we played some nice passing football but rarely had a shot on target. Defensively we looked fragile and but for some outstanding saves from McCormick we would have been behind.

Second half Argyle were much the better team. Rueben Reid was a joy to watch and Jervis came more into the game. They seem to link quite well.
I think that we will score goals and play some good passing football. However the back 4 defence, as in all our pre-season games, seems at times to be too slow and unaware as a unit (in the defensive role). Therein lies the problem. IMO

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I tell you what, anyone who doubts Ruben as a striker, wants their bumps felt.

The way he took that chance at the end was a thing of beauty, no looking up, simply slotted in the corner of the net.

Whilst I rate Brunt, we did look far more effective in the 2nd half.

Jul 6, 2009
Reid was very good and took his chance extremely well. Boateng was excellent. Not at all sure about Wylde. Carey has quality, Simpson isn't fit.