R.I.P Gordon Sparks. (Plus merged funeral thread). | Page 15 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

R.I.P Gordon Sparks. (Plus merged funeral thread).

Jun 9, 2006
Exmuff
So sad . Thoughts with family, friends - you are the voice of Argyle a true professional and one off. So appreciated. RIP Sir Gordon.

Reactions: TBT
Feb 13, 2021
Been out and about today so only just heard this very sad news, a legend, thoughts with his family and friends

Reactions: TBT
May 5, 2020
Desperately sad news. Sir Gordon was part of the argyle fabric for decades, and brought so much colour to away day commentaries on Saturday afternoons...an Argyle, Plymouth and Devon legend. He will never be forgotten..

Reactions: 999mattyg

Tynan One Nil

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 23, 2013
So sad, RIP Sparksy - you will always be remembered with great affection by the Green Army and many others beyond, a true gent.

May 26, 2015
I'm sorry to hear this news. It is wonderful to read all these tributes to Sparksy. All I can say is that I loved his commentary on Argyle and his uniquely magnificent Devon accent. RIP Sparksy; you are a true Argyle legend!

Kiwi Jim

🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
Apr 10, 2022
Ohakune, New Zealand
Rest easy big fella.

Felt heartbroken when I heard the news this morning in New Zealand.

Got my old CD of his commentary from the 2004 promotion season out this afternoon and was playing it full noise.

A true Argyle legend who will never be forgotten.

Graham Clark

✅ Evergreen
Nov 18, 2018
24 hours on the news that Sparksy is no longer with us is still difficult to comprehend. Whilst there seemed an inevitability about it, that it happened so quickly still shocks to the core. How wonderful it was that he could hear each of the goals on Saturday and respond with the thumbs up.

So thankful that the 'Suck on that' audio clip has re-emerged. It says everything about the Big Man and his love for Argyle. I first knew him in his early Plymouth Sound days - nearly 40 years ago. In his days at Radio Devon he represented the pinnacle of local radio broadcasting. Knowledgeable about his subject and in touch with his audience, even when, unforgivably they gave him the early 'graveyard' shift. However, his legendary commentaries went one step further and it is where he achieved, quite rightly, radio immortality. One couldn't fail to be absorbed and enthralled. It seemed that in every attack Argyle had they would score. Equally you felt they would concede at any moment - a unique ability to reflect the natural anxieties of being an Argyle fan when you couldn't make the game.

However, I wanted to highlight his role in the dark days of administration. It is when I got to know him best. He was driven by the fact that his father was Chairman of the Argyle Shareholders (and I think the Vice-Presidents Club). What happened in 2010 / 2011 only inspired him to do all he could to challenge and expose. I think GoS will have a record of all the air time he gave to the campaign to save the Club. Whether it be Guilfoyle or Ridsdale his rigorous exposure gave essential oxygen to the campaign to save the Club. That not only included radio but TV too. He fully embraced the opportunity to end the nightmare by getting behind the Trust and James Brent giving them both the air time to challenge and deliver. I will always remember that determination to do all he could to save the Club with great admiration and affection. His part in what the Club have now become was acknowledged when he became an Ambassador after he hung up his mike. It gave him time to enjoy Argyle without the responsibility of describing it and I know he loved it.

A top bloke, genuinely loved and wonderfully idiosyncratic (remember the Bruce Forsyth Appreciation Society!) . A unique broadcasting talent too, the like we will never see again. RIP Big Man.