Radio Devon Digital Radio | Page 12 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Radio Devon Digital Radio

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Norbert":1u4uyvqs said:
So once more no Argyle on DAB but it was Torquay and with their current troubles I was happy to listen and cheer them on. But even this was ruined by the constant moving between games. When they went to the Argyle goals (and I am moaning about that) the links were poor and at times it was hard to know what game was being aired.

If we put the reduction of Argyle commentary being an inferior level of service from a public broadcaster to one side the coverage that is given to the featured team is woeful.

Whoever you support you want uninterrupted coverage of the game you are listening too.

Clearly editorial decisions made by parts in white ivory towers who have told professionals like Sir Gordon Sparks what football fans need. I wonder how many games if any the bosses have been to. If any they have been to freebies at Premiership games eating prawn sandwiches with other freeloading opportunists who think a terrace is something the hot tub sits on.

You have to sympathise with Radio Devon. Their remit is to cover the whole county and to be fair to them, they do ensure that the local transmitters are putting out uninterrupted coverage of the three teams. It's only the county wide broadcasts that do the hopping around. I'm sure they will improve on their timing on when to give updates from elsewhere.

Nov 14, 2010
Cornwall
Rich McLean":1lo2i7pc said:
Apologies for not posting the info up this week, been in the middle of moving property

No need to apologise Rich, just pleased you were not ill. Hope the move went smoothly and just to reiterate how grateful some of us are for the early news on coverage. I will be at Home Park on Tuesday so won't need the radio
but those who can't get there will be standing by for sure. :scarf:

Oct 11, 2014
TUESDAY 6/10

19.03 - 22.00 BBC RADIO DEVON SPORT

Presenter; Alan Richardson

TALK UP:
The first big Devon derby comes in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy and Argyle may have held the upper hand in the League but City have triumphed on both occasions they’ve met in this competition. In the National League Torquay United are at home to Dover Athletic.

LEAGUE TWO

19.45 – PLYMOUTH ARGYLE v EXETER CITY (at Home Park)
Commentator; Charlie Price; summariser; Jack McDermott; Graham Kirk TBC; roving mike; Peter Smith
Frequencies – 95.7FM – Plymouth and West Devon; 103.4FM – countywide; DAB – countywide; 990MW; 95.8FM - Exeter and East Devon; 801MW – North Devon

NATIONAL LEAGUE

19.45 – TORQUAY UNITED v Dover Athletic (at Plainmoor)
Commentator: Mark Edwards; summariser; Chris Fleet
Frequencies – 1458MW – Torbay and South Devon;

Sep 22, 2011
Lundan Cabbie":3v7eef2t said:
You have to sympathise with Radio Devon. Their remit is to cover the whole county and to be fair to them, they do ensure that the local transmitters are putting out uninterrupted coverage of the three teams. It's only the county wide broadcasts that do the hopping around. I'm sure they will improve on their timing on when to give updates from elsewhere.

Rubbish, there is no way I can show sympathy for a public broadcaster that now delivers an inferior level of service. We have to maintain the highest standards otherwise season by season the coverage will be gradually eroded until the only people to hear it will be the back row in the grandstand behind the press box.

The only way to I prove is to deliver the service that was available until the end of last season

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Norbert":1ccxopz6 said:
Lundan Cabbie":1ccxopz6 said:

Rubbish, there is no way I can show sympathy for a public broadcaster that now delivers an inferior level of service. We have to maintain the highest standards otherwise season by season the coverage will be gradually eroded until the only people to hear it will be the back row in the grandstand behind the press box.

The only way to I prove is to deliver the service that was available until the end of last season

It is only inferior in your eyes (or ears). The number of hours dedicated to the county's sport is still the same. This is a massive county in area terms. When I am coming home down the M5 and pass that "Welcome to Devon" sign, I am still an hour from Plymouth. You can't expect the same local coverage in places that simply aren't local. What you can expect county wide is fair and equal coverage of all sports teams of Devon. To call for a return of the unbalanced coverage of last season is just selfishness.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Lundan Cabbie":21l2t5er said:
What you can expect county wide is fair and equal coverage of all sports teams of Devon.

The point you seem to be missing here is that the coverage is not fair and equal for all teams. Regardless of who are the featured match on DAB, Exeter are allocated the East Devon FM and at least 2 other AM channels, while Argyle have the Plymouth FM channel only. The net result is that you can hear uninterrupted coverage of the Exeter matches almost anywhere in the county while Argyle are restricted to the Plymouth area only. Fair and equal coverage?

Mike Greening

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 2, 2008
GreenThing":2x1suymz said:
Lundan Cabbie":2x1suymz said:
What you can expect county wide is fair and equal coverage of all sports teams of Devon.

The point you seem to be missing here is that the coverage is not fair and equal for all teams. Regardless of who are the featured match on DAB, Exeter are allocated the East Devon FM and at least 2 other AM channels, while Argyle have the Plymouth FM channel only. The net result is that you can hear uninterrupted coverage of the Exeter matches almost anywhere in the county while Argyle are restricted to the Plymouth area only. Fair and equal coverage?

Nice one son. :thumbup: :clap:

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
GreenThing":4ne9yahp said:
Lundan Cabbie":4ne9yahp said:

Yes but Exeter is the County Town!! :oops: :doh:
:lol:

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
GreenThing":2suyyp03 said:
Lundan Cabbie":2suyyp03 said:

The AM transmitters which put out local coverage on match days are located in Torbay, Exeter and Barnstaple and barely reach Plymouth. Providing "local" coverage is what it says on the tin. Everywhere in the county you can get either your local side uninterrupted or the shared coverage on the county wide service.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
WottonForEngland":2mo3pllg said:
Actually loving the banter from the opposing fans on the radio tonight. Jack giving the exeter fan some stick!

Couldn't agree more. It has been suggested before that this or some similar format should be adopted for these games where the rivalry gives the broadcast that something extra.