Ref (Phil Gibbs) | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Ref (Phil Gibbs)

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Martyn":1uw5u4dn said:
Cobi Budge.":1uw5u4dn said:
Phil Gibbs was bad but he was nowhere near as bas as Andy Woolmer.

While I'm certainly not making excuses for Gibbs, he did have to deal with a dirty, cheating side & a generally bad tempered, poor game on a bog of a pitch.

While in comparison Woolmer had 2 decent sides, it wasn't ill-tempered & the game was played on a perfect pitch, yet he still managed to balls up. I can't remember there ever being that much anger aimed toward a ref at Home Park, the chants of 'sh*t referee' that night were probably louder than all of the chants this season at HP combined.

If he was that bad how come he has been given a cup final.

You get cup finals based on having a consistent season, with positive feedback from the assessors, and of course Match reports from Clubs
Simon Hooper got a Premier League game at the start of the season.

A colossal balls up later and he was immediately back doing lower league football again.

I could have told the FA that Hooper was incompetent and never ever worthy of a PL game (he's not even football league standard to be honest).

Makes you really wonder about their selection policy...

Sep 23, 2005
HongKongGreen":2odkk5te said:
It gets even better for the JPT Final....

Phil Gibbs as the fourth official, and none other than Andy Woolmer as the referee. Yes, THAT Andy Woolmer! Link

Could this possibly be the worst combination of officials possible?! Someone must be having a joke!!!

Maybe a long service award for Andy Woolmer before retirement, I can always hope.

Jul 10, 2011
Since Mr Gibbs has been rewarded with a cup-final, all be it as forth man,can someone enlighten me please as to the purpose and responsibilities of the 4th official, apart from the obvious timer board waving,which Gibbs has recently experienced conflict with at Home Park ?

C

Cobi Budge.

pepilgrim":3ab2nxzj said:
Since Mr Gibbs has been rewarded with a cup-final, all be it as forth man,can someone enlighten me please as to the purpose and responsibilities of the 4th official, apart from the obvious timer board waving,which Gibbs has recently experienced conflict with at Home Park ?

In addition to displaying substitutions & time added on, the fourth officials primary role is to maintain calm on the touch line, he has to communicate to the ref what is said if opposition managers/players conflict, he facilities substitutions & has to check whether the player being brought on is registered/and is on the team sheet & he's obliged to explain any decision the referee makes if asked by either manager. He's also needed in case the ref or one of the linesmen get injured & can't continue. I know it seems like fourth officials just wave a board but they do have a role to play.

Jul 10, 2011
Cobi Budge.":2duv8tme said:
pepilgrim":2duv8tme said:

In addition to displaying substitutions & time added on, the fourth officials primary role is to maintain calm on the touch line, he has to communicate to the ref what is said if opposition managers/players conflict, he facilities substitutions & has to check whether the player being brought on is registered/and is on the team sheet & he's obliged to explain any decision the referee makes if asked by either manager. He's also needed in case the ref or one of the linesmen get injured & can't continue. I know it seems like fourth officials just wave a board but they do have a role to play.

Thank you Cobi, wouldn't it be wonderful if 4th official could be interviewed post match,rather like the managers, and explain any decision the referee has made, if asked, since he has been in constant touch with the ref and should clarify any matters requiring explanation.