Ref (Phil Gibbs) | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Ref (Phil Gibbs)

Jul 10, 2011
He seems to have survived Sunday's game without a riot now it is up to the governing body to hand out any fines or sanctions. Whilst there are no accusations toward the English FA the behaviour of some officials in high office elsewhere will make any "punishment" towards Argyle diddicult to accept.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
pepilgrim":18sivv3u said:
He seems to have survived Sunday's game without a riot now it is up to the governing body to hand out any fines or sanctions. Whilst there are no accusations toward the English FA the behaviour of some officials in high office elsewhere will make any "punishment" towards Argyle diddicult to accept.

Gibbs did book a Coventry player for time wasting, yes really, probably after instruction from the FA following the farce at our match.
There was also a coming together of players, where players from both teams surrounded the referee.

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
pastiesforlife":1zlmah4h said:
Things can only get better?

Ref for tomorrow is the one who sent Conor off for taking a free kick at Dorchester. Argyle have amassed zero wins from the five games he's officiated.

The interesting thing about that incident is that it was Joe Lennox who actually took the free-kick before the referee's whistle was blown. he touched the ball to Hourihane and Hourihane really just acted on instinct and crossed the ball as he had planned to do. Lennox was the one who committed the offence and should have been shown the yellow card. But then, I guess that neither the referee or the referee's assistant was actually watching.

IGNORE ME - I'M WRONG: Lennox didn't touch the ball, although he did make a dummy run over the ball that started the free-kick move. Thanks to JE for kindly pointing out yet another instance when my memory fails me and my age starts to show...

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Time keeping was simple in my refereeing days. You started your watch at kick-off and you stopped it whilst players were receiving treatment on the pitch. When it reached 45 minutes, it was half/full time. No adding time for goal celebrations and no adding time for substitutions (although there was only one per team anyway). If there had been excessive time wasting then you used your discretion.

The word "excessive" is still valid today though. There is no law saying how quickly players have to get up off the floor after being fouled. There is no requirement for a 'keeper to run to take a goal kick and there is no law saying he must take it from the nearest point of the six yard box. Yes it is frustrating when your team are chasing the game but it isn't cheating. Pushing the laws to their limits is no more than gamesmanship.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Rubbish, Wycombe cheated for about 86 minutes the other week.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
IJN":3u0bhcbc said:

Depends on what you see as cheating Ian. For instance, the offside law wasn't invented for teams to operated the offside trap yet when Tony Adams and co stepped up with right arms aloft, we didn't consider that cheating despite them using the laws of the game to their advantage rather than sticking to the spirit of the law.

Maybe I have misunderstood what Wycombe got up to but so far on these pages, the word cheating has been used without proper and full explanation of what they were doing that could be considered as cheating.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
They cheated about 8,000 Argyle fans out of a game of footie. In my view a capital offence.

dunlop

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
Lundan Cabbie":2m5e05pz said:
IJN":2m5e05pz said:

Depends on what you see as cheating Ian. For instance, the offside law wasn't invented for teams to operated the offside trap yet when Tony Adams and co stepped up with right arms aloft, we didn't consider that cheating despite them using the laws of the game to their advantage rather than sticking to the spirit of the law.

Maybe I have misunderstood what Wycombe got up to but so far on these pages, the word cheating has been used without proper and full explanation of what they were doing that could be considered as cheating.

Maybe "con"is the word we should be using because that is what they did every time they had an opportunity and the referee fell for it every time and in fact made it worst by lecturing wasting more time instead of showing a yellow card.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
dunlop":g4y2byrv said:
Lundan Cabbie":g4y2byrv said:
IJN":g4y2byrv said:

Maybe "con"is the word we should be using because that is what they did every time they had an opportunity and the referee fell for it every time and in fact made it worst by lecturing wasting more time instead of showing a yellow card.

'Ungentlemanly conduct' .. remember that? one of the laws that referees don't enforce anymore .. along with obstruction and dissent!! :furious:

C

Cobi Budge.

The Wycombe keeper punching the ball into the Devonport when he just had to touch it back over the net, that was blatant cheating, and the worst thing was, the ref was standing right next to him, giving the OAP some special treatment?

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Cobi Budge.":sntq2hyl said:
The Wycombe keeper punching the ball into the Devonport when he just had to touch it back over the net, that was blatant cheating, and the worst thing was, the ref was standing right next to him, giving the OAP some special treatment?

There it is .. right there . Ungentlemanly Conduct!! :furious:

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Pogleswoody":17vjhkn8 said:
Cobi Budge.":17vjhkn8 said:

Now called Unsporting behaviour and would attract a caution. A yellow card to a goalkeeper who plays once every ten years though, would quite simply have been water off a ducks back.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Lundan Cabbie":361w8wbl said:
Pogleswoody":361w8wbl said:
Cobi Budge.":361w8wbl said:

Now called Unsporting behaviour and would attract a caution. A yellow card to a goalkeeper who plays once every ten years though, would quite simply have been water off a ducks back.

Maybe but he perhaps wouldn't err again in that match? :think:

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Lundan Cabbie":hqkdu0u4 said:
Pogleswoody":hqkdu0u4 said:
Cobi Budge.":hqkdu0u4 said:

You've answered your own question there LC. The keeper knew he'd rarely if ever get another game so he could do whatever he liked with impunity. Regarding what happened to the original keeper, the ref wouldn't have sent this one off he'd picked the ball up and legged it out of Home Park.