Ref (Phil Gibbs) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Ref (Phil Gibbs)

Liam Vercoe

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 27, 2010
To give the ref some credit, when the board for added time came up at the end of the first half, it blatantly wasn't enough and everyone rightly kicked off, and he signalled to the Fourth Official and then the ground saying it was however many more minutes instead of 5 (I think).

Apart from that he was absolute poo.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Vickery":2qblp7vp said:
Lindy lino was again awful - always likes to play with his bum when he comes down to HP and mouth shut up to the crowd. Ref missed a penalty, corner, and foul on Luke. Also liked to play advantage for us - when there was no advantage but blew up for free kicks for the cheats

How old is he?? looked well past his sell by (I can talk!!)
Looked like Anton Lesser with a serious hangover!!
The bit I REALLY dislike is when RR let the ball go for a 'corner'. Lino didn't signal, looked at the ref, when he pointed to a goalkick .. so did the lino!! that REALLY winds me up!
Didn't he see it?
Have more respect if he flagged for a goalkick without looking at the ref .. even if he was wrong.

You are paid to make decisions sunnyjim! I could run the line if all I had to do was 'follow' the ref!

Jan 10, 2015
Plymouth
Not using the ref as an excuse we lost because we cant score at the mo, but he was the worst ive ever seen backed up by a useless lino, it was as if the FA were short of officials today and asked a fat bloke and his dad fro the pub to do it

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Liam Vercoe":ieu8by5u said:
To give the ref some credit, when the board for added time came up at the end of the first half, it blatantly wasn't enough and everyone rightly kicked off, and he signalled to the Fourth Official and then the ground saying it was however many more minutes instead of 5 (I think).

Apart from that he was absolute sh1te.

I would like to think it didn't take the crowd for him to realise 5 wasn't enough, putting the fact that as a professional referee he shouldn't have been influenced by the crowd anyway, we barely played a minute of actual football all half, how 5 was deemed enough at all I'll never know.

The only conceivable explanation has got to be that he said 9 to his official who having not heard it properly assumed 5, the alternative is he's more inept than anyone could possibly imagine.

Jan 29, 2010
plymouth
The ref was rubbish but it made no difference to the result . Argyle were gutless and rubbish. Why do none of our players ever challenge for the loose ball?

Feb 15, 2005
Plymouth
Graham Evans":1m0v2zmc said:
The ref was rubbish but it made no difference to the result . Argyle were gutless and rubbish. Why do none of our players ever challenge for the loose ball?

The ref was a total disgrace. The worst I've experienced in 57 years of watching football.

I can't see how his performance did not effect the result. How can you play football in the right manner, when your being constantly held, pushed, kicked and players falling over in agony without being touched. All with a ref that seemed totally ignorant of what was going on around him.

The goal should never of stood. Several penalties should have been given for pulling of shirts and pushes inside the box. Reid's arm was held every time the ball was played up to him and
McHugh almost had his shirt pulled over his head inside the box from a corner, etc.

Had the ref picked up on only a couple of the instances the result would have been a lot different.
:furious: :furious: :furious:

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
arrythewurzel":14ryqa3s said:
Thought he did OK. Very difficult game to referee. Overruled the fourth official on his first half injury time. Got a few things wrong but certainly not the worst I've seen.

If you wanna talk about poor performances it's an unmarked professional footballer on the six yard line with time to smash the ball home who scuffs a side footed shot weakly towards goal ..... or with only an injured goalie lying prostrate on the floor and the professional footballer miskicks it wide when easier to score. That's a poor performance.
Had to stop reading after that I'm afraid.

Nov 8, 2014
Steve.PAFC2012":37mz8jva said:
arrythewurzel":37mz8jva said:
Thought he did OK. Very difficult game to referee. Overruled the fourth official on his first half injury time. Got a few things wrong but certainly not the worst I've seen.

If you wanna talk about poor performances it's an unmarked professional footballer on the six yard line with time to smash the ball home who scuffs a side footed shot weakly towards goal ..... or with only an injured goalie lying prostrate on the floor and the professional footballer miskicks it wide when easier to score. That's a poor performance.
Had to stop reading after that I'm afraid.

He's probably the ref himself.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
The Doctor":2untrcoi said:
I'm not blaming the referee for our loss. I think he contributed to it though.

Result aside, he contributed to the dire exhibition that was supposed to be a football match. The man was absolute putty to Wycombe's cheating tactics. The man should never be allowed to officiate again. Simply the worst and most inexplicable I've ever seen, he just did not have a clue.

Dec 3, 2005
Phil Sloggett":2tu7f58d said:
GreenThing":2tu7f58d said:
What was going on with the Lyndhurst lino? The last ten Mia he was running the line about a foot over the line.

He also kept yawning at the crowd. Perhaps if he had paid more attention to the game, rather than playing up to the fans, his decision making might have been a little better!

Also the Lyndhurst linesman at half time and full time - looked up at the jeering baying crowd in the Granstand and just smerked at us all!!!

Dec 3, 2005
The worst thing about the Ref today - speaking as an ex minor league Ref - was the total inconsistancy of his 'advantage rule'.

Wycombe player was fouled, Ref plays on playing the advantage, (fair enough), no advantage gained so he pulls it back for the free kick - great refferreing.

Argyle player is fouled, Ref playes on again playing the advantage, no advantage gained, so the Ref allows play to continue!!! When he should have taken it back for the foul - like he did when it was a Wycombe free kick.

Yes Ref's make mistakes during a game as much as the players do, but when they make the decision to play the advantage rule THEY MUST APPLY IT TO BOTH TEAMS!!!

Feb 23, 2008
What would be the best way to lodge a complaint with the FA?

That lino really was an arrogant barsteward too. Waving players away if they came within a few yards of him etc.

I thought Reid had every right to argue at the end. It blatantly took a touch off their player. Lino made the wrong decision then got all pompous.

Jul 6, 2005
Crap Refs and Linos are the norm at his level, today was not an exception.

We have to be better than letting it affect the outcome of games.

Nov 28, 2011
Bude
was carey fouled in the second half, when he made a run down the right, knocked the ball past the player, went down? or was he playing for a free kick, and the ref just played on? and what about the mchugh yellow card incident, i thought it was a great tackle, with their player making a right meal of it.