Ref (Phil Gibbs) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Ref (Phil Gibbs)

Tynan One Nil

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 23, 2013
Maybe there is a charge for the FA failing to control their officials? We do have 8000 witnesses after all.

Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
arrythewurzel":1nte95hx said:
If you wanna talk about poor performances it's an unmarked professional footballer on the six yard line with time to smash the ball home who scuffs a side footed shot weakly towards goal ..... or with only an injured goalie lying prostrate on the floor and the professional footballer miskicks it wide when easier to score. That's a poor performance.

I thought the professional footballer who miskicked it wide when easier to score with only an injured goalie lying prostrate on the floor had a particularly poor game, though the rest weren't much better apart from McHugh & Nelse.

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Got to wonder what the point of the grandstand linesman was when he can't help the ref (who was fat and woefully behind play) with that penalty decision.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
It says a lot that (IMO) that wasn't the worst ref we've had this season. Stevenage away's referee was even worse.

But yesterday's lost it completely. No control over the game at all. Should have completely stamped out on Wycombe's cheating from the moment the went ahead, but he let them do it.

Referees have a difficult job. But so many at this level are a joke. All I want is someone who can actually control a game and show a tiny bit of consistency, but of course that's too much to ask.

Penlee

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
My concern is that refs ARE consistent - an early yellow for time wasting would have done the trick, instead he calls 'Captain' Hayes over for a word about his colleagues antics. Refs are clearly getting coached/told to do this and it is ludicrous - very hard to get any response out of the FL or referees assoc though

Oct 20, 2015
Derriford
djg145":3qeaprld said:
Phil Sloggett":3qeaprld said:
GreenThing":3qeaprld said:
What was going on with the Lyndhurst lino? The last ten Mia he was running the line about a foot over the line.

He also kept yawning at the crowd. Perhaps if he had paid more attention to the game, rather than playing up to the fans, his decision making might have been a little better!

Also the Lyndhurst linesman at half time and full time - looked up at the jeering baying crowd in the Granstand and just smerked at us all!!!

Fully agree about linesman - it was clear throughout the the second half that he was enjoying winding up the crowd. After one bad decision, for which the Lyndhurst erupted, he just puffed out his chest and swaggered back up the line. He was also responsible for McHugh's booking, which came shortly after Carl had had a chat with him about another poor decision. The ref didn't see the tackle just after his whistle, even though it occurred at his feet, so he called the lino over for his opinion. It was a good tackle, but the lino obviously saw the opportunity to get his own back for being criticised. He was running up and down on the pitch and several of us told him to get off it. And he failed to see Reid pulled over on the six yard line. At one free kick taken by the goalie, he agreed the position and ran back only for the ball to be thrown yards forward. Despite seeing this he simply waved the kick on.

The ref was week and inconsistent, particularly on the advantage rule as noted elsewhere.

Worst display by officials this season, by far. But something really need to be done about time wasting, which is getting worse and worse as ref's won't clamp down on it with bookings. Simply adding time on at the end does nothing but increase the frustrations of players, managers and fans.

P

Positively Green

Does anybody know how any spectator could complain about the officials to the FA? It would be interesting to find out what the assessor has to say about the way the referee handled the game. I am not sure I can sit through another game of such blatant cheating by another team again to be honest.

Sep 23, 2005
You can contact them via their website thefa.com. You register and then are allowed a form to email them.
I've done it a couple of times over issues I had, on both occasions I received a lengthy personal reply with explanations of policies and assurances that they would review the issues raised.
Ultimately it probably didn't do a lot to change things but if you have a grievance it is always worth airing it with them.

P

Positively Green

jollygreenjohn":ch36hshq said:
You can contact them via their website thefa.com. You register and then are allowed a form to email them.
I've done it a couple of times over issues I had, on both occasions I received a lengthy personal reply with explanations of policies and assurances that they would review the issues raised.
Ultimately it probably didn't do a lot to change things but if you have a grievance it is always worth airing it with them.

Thank you. If I have time I may well send something. I am very aware that many children were watching Saturday's game (I talked to a couple of Mums who were bringing their football-playing boys for the first time). If Wycombe's dirty tricks are being seen as the norm and accepted unpunished by officials then any children watching will learn that this is a way to win and so it gets passed down to the grass roots. I would like to find out if the FA thinks this is their vision for the future of football before I encourage my grandchildren to take up the game at school/local club level.

Sep 23, 2005
I agree. Well worth expressing those views in the way you have and at least you would get it off your chest.
I wrote asking why we had such a relatively inexperienced ref in the first leg of our play off last season. I received a robust defence of why they had chosen him but we got a much more experienced one in the 2nd leg. Nothing to do with me obviously but rather than festering about it I got my thoughts across.

C

Cobi Budge.

In the Premier League, referees manage time wasting effectively, they put a foot down and don't allow it to happen, however in League 2, it genuinely seems as if referees have just accepted time wasting as part of the game.

To be honest I'm not even sure that I'm angry with Wycombe for time wasting, I'm just angry that the ref was weak enough to let it happen. Any form of time wasting should result in a yellow card, simple. Kicking the ball away is the most obvious form of time wasting, yet I don't think I've seen a yellow given for it this season, on Saturday, a Wycombe player kicked the ball away and the ref actually smiled at him, flip the coin, against Yeovil at home, Jervis kicked the ball away and the ref smiled at him.

In what was the worst display of time wasting I've ever witnessed, I'm still stunned that the ref didn't dish out a single yellow card for it. The worst moment was in the second half, the ball was on the roof of the net, Richardson simply had to touch it back over the crossbar to take his goal kick but he instead punched it into the Devonport, the ref was standing right next to him, nothing.

There's a big difference between a team slowing the game down, and a team deliberately time wasting.

Jul 10, 2011
I noticed this gentleman listed as the match referee for Port Vale v Coventry on Sunday 7th Feb and those who witnessed his inept performance at Argyle, may be interested in following this one. He will have a different crew to assist.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
pepilgrim":1qu3ypb6 said:
I noticed this gentleman listed as the match referee for Port Vale v Coventry on Sunday 7th Feb and those who witnessed his inept performance at Argyle, may be interested in following this one. He will have a different crew to assist.

I am reminded of school assembly and the school hymn, 'He would true Valiant be?' The referee. Let's see how strong he is this weekend. He is doing a higher League, so one could argue the game should be even more demanding!