Reserves v Bristol Rovers at Coach Road Tuesday 1pm | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Reserves v Bristol Rovers at Coach Road Tuesday 1pm

Feb 15, 2005
On paper it seems a poor result, a strong experienced Argyle side losing to a Rovers development team but how did DA /PW send them out to play? Did he say use this match for fitness and not to risk injury or did they say get out there and put in a display with a view to playing Saturday?

Feb 28, 2016
philmeboots":2izhvntf said:
MarkMatthews":2izhvntf said:
Jordan Bentley MOTM for me, outstanding first half. Could not fault CamSang, great when he came on. Thought Fletch and Batts did ok, always prefer both on the pitch at the same time though, think they both bring the best out of each other.

Thought Law had a good game, just wish he would stick by his instincts and not be over pressured into a decision he shouldn't make just because more senior players start demanding. Thought Cooper had a good game too. Highlight though for me was Jordan Bentley.
Thought Jordan Bentley played well too. Not so impressed with a Fletcher tbh though. Thought that he had three really good chances and should have put at least one away.

Just one of those days for Fletch, I know he can do better but it's not like Blissett covered himself in glory either, so nothing lost,nothing gained but as always great energy and effort from Fletch he can never be knocked for that.

Bitterly disappointed for Rose and for Taylor, no way either should be starting these games on the bench, least of all not coming on! You don't see Rovers or MK putting out their over 23s, it's completely embarrassing when our management do, particularly if they lose or only scrape by! Absolute tragic.

In answer to the post above we tried for the win it was a close entertaining game, no excuses can be made there. Congratulations to Chris Hargreaves and his team.

Apr 29, 2016
MarkMatthews":p64rlju3 said:
philmeboots":p64rlju3 said:
MarkMatthews":p64rlju3 said:
Jordan Bentley MOTM for me, outstanding first half. Could not fault CamSang, great when he came on. Thought Fletch and Batts did ok, always prefer both on the pitch at the same time though, think they both bring the best out of each other.

Thought Law had a good game, just wish he would stick by his instincts and not be over pressured into a decision he shouldn't make just because more senior players start demanding. Thought Cooper had a good game too. Highlight though for me was Jordan Bentley.
Thought Jordan Bentley played well too. Not so impressed with a Fletcher tbh though. Thought that he had three really good chances and should have put at least one away.

Just one of those days for Fletch, I know he can do better but it's not like Blissett covered himself in glory either, so nothing lost,nothing gained but as always great energy and effort from Fletch he can never be knocked for that.

Bitterly disappointed for Rose and for Taylor, no way either should be starting these games on the bench, least of all not coming on! You don't see Rovers or MK putting out their over 23s, it's completely embarrassing when our management do, particularly if they lose or only scrape by! Absolute tragic.

In answer to the post above we tried for the win it was a close entertaining game, no excuses can be made there. Congratulations to Chris Hargreaves and his team.

Yep good luck to them. Not an embarrassment to me though to play first team fringe players returning from injury. I reckon that’s why we went into this league. Our squad is not deep enough to play an academy side and a reserve side both under 23 is it?

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
philmeboots":1m3yczct said:
MarkMatthews":1m3yczct said:
philmeboots":1m3yczct said:
MarkMatthews":1m3yczct said:

Yep good luck to them. Not an embarrassment to me though to play first team fringe players returning from injury. I reckon that’s why we went into this league. Our squad is not deep enough to play an academy side and a reserve side both under 23 is it?
Bang on. A quote from DA when we entered the Central League South:

Adams said: “Substitutes for the first team will get match time, as will players coming back from injury.
“It will be good for the development of the younger ones to play with them on a game-by-game basis.”

Herald

Feb 28, 2016
Just where is the development of Battle, Taylor and Rooney going to come from? Apprentices getting in over them leaves a bitter taste, can't do wonders for moral. The three first year pros and development lads (and I would include Sam Ryan in that, ridiculous to extend his apprenticeship instead of giving him a development deal when he is ineligible to play in apprentice games) should be the first names on the team sheet in my opinion, then plug the gaps with whatever is left over.

If we had an U23 side we would have enough players and I think it imperative, we set one up going forward, then we would have enough as I hope we would have retained the likes of Cory Harvey, Steer, Miller, Calver, Palfrey, Hall et al for longer.

May 8, 2011
MarkMatthews":1s8biewc said:
Just where is the development of Battle, Taylor and Rooney going to come from? Apprentices getting in over them leaves a bitter taste, can't do wonders for moral. The three first year pros and development lads (and I would include Sam Ryan in that, ridiculous to extend his apprenticeship instead of giving him a development deal when he is ineligible to play in apprentice games) should be the first names on the team sheet in my opinion, then plug the gaps with whatever is left over.

If we had an U23 side we would have enough players and I think it imperative, we set one up going forward, then we would have enough as I hope we would have retained the likes of Cory Harvey, Steer, Miller, Calver, Palfrey, Hall et al for longer.

That is what is going to happen as finances improve and Argyle build up the youth/development programme and the quality of the youngsters coming through improves so more are offered apprentices or professional contracts.

We’ve seen the first signs of that this season with entry into the Central League plus the signing of youngsters from outside the normal catchment area.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Perhaps there is greater potential in the apprentices than the young professionals. I would rather have the best coming through rather than following some kind of seniority among those under 19.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
MarkMatthews":eya2w32r said:

Mark, You seem to be aware of the Academy lads and keep in touch with their progress. Do you know if Billy Craske has a long term injury?
I watched him captain the U18 team against Portsmouth on Friday 1st September and I thought that he was outstanding in their 2-1 win. I have not seen any mention of him since that game.
HC Green did mention an injury a few weeks ago but I wondered if there was any further update.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
As an aside, I saw this on Twitter yesterday!

XmBrhCk.png

Apr 29, 2016
MarkMatthews":36lzo33q said:

I liked Ben Steer a lot and Palfrey. I thought that we had a reasonable blend at Coach Road though. We started with Cooper, Ryan Law, Jordan Bentley and Alex Fletcher. Cameron Sangster and Alex Battle came on in the second half and we gave returning pros a good run out. Wylde, Lameiras and Blissett on the edge of the first team also got minutes. Reckon we got it spot on.

Feb 28, 2016
davie nine":pnd2oxhm said:
MarkMatthews":pnd2oxhm said:

Mark, You seem to be aware of the Academy lads and keep in touch with their progress. Do you know if Billy Craske has a long term injury?
I watched him captain the U18 team against Portsmouth on Friday 1st September and I thought that he was outstanding in their 2-1 win. I have not seen any mention of him since that game.
HC Green did mention an injury a few weeks ago but I wondered if there was any further update.

I don't know Davie, come to think of it I think that was the last time I saw him. I've not seen him as a spectator at any game so I haven't had chance to find out.