Reuben Reid - PFA Team of the season. | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Reuben Reid - PFA Team of the season.

Aug 22, 2006
NorfolkGreen":1jdfqwm3 said:
If, and I appreciate the enormity of the word "if", we win the play offs I wonder if Matt Tubbs would come to us?

Matt Tubbs is apparently on a fairly big wage packet. That's partly why AFC Wimbledon didn't keep him.

tonycholwell

R.I.P
Jun 9, 2006
Somerset
Delighted for Rueben.

He has been a colossus this season, without his goals we would be mid table at best.

And yet, he still receives stick, called fat and lazy, but still battles on. Seems his fellow pros know better than some "fans"

Jan 3, 2013
Hilarious! Team of the year? After his performances over throats three months he shouldn't even be playing for Argo! Tony he IS lazy

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
jerryatricjanner":1f4t2lv9 said:
McHugh's case wouldn't have been helped by the fact that votes are cast in January and his dodgy start at left back early in the season would have harmed his case as well.
Think you're thinking of a different award, PFA awards are voted for at the end of March.

Jul 29, 2010
Knarf Reprah":2jxoxqqa said:
Hilarious! Team of the year? .........he shouldn't even be playing for Argo! Tony he IS lazy

Nope, sorry Frank but the laziness comes from those who put forward players into narrow categories of acceptability and fail to appreciate they come in many shapes, sizes and roles. Nick Chadwick (V1.0) used to run around athletically for 90 minutes, by that narrow definition he must've been a world beater :think:

Reuben is a big lump of a forward (not fat but muscular BTW!) and his primary job is to retain first phase possession. He does this by being strong enough to hold defenders off, retaining the ball and then passing to others. Simple as that.

That he can ALSO get into good scoring positions during a game is a credit to his ability to manage his energy retention. Sure he stands around a lot when the ball isn't near him and he trots back casually when we lose possession. But it's precisely BECAUSE he does that that he still has some energy left to make a short quick burst at a critical time to get into those scoring positions. That's not being lazy, it's making the most efficient use of his energy.

Barry Hayles and SEB did this too, they too were sometimes accused of being lazy.....and that too was a lazy observation. Speaking to a switched on Brighton supporting colleague yesterday he identified exactly the same quality in Troy Deeney having watched him the day before, barely moving when he didn't have to but bursting away from a defender when it mattered. Still having energy to do this in the 95th minute produced the goal that sealed his team's promotion to the Premier League.

Now, when you additionally consider that Reuben has clearly been carrying an injury for most of the season too then to receive accusations of laziness must be quite offensive to him. I'd like to think he see's the criticism for what it is though, lazily observed ignorance, and dismisses it accordingly.

Well done to the lad, he's been fantastic at what he does and it's why his fellow professionals have recognised it :clap:

A mention too for Luke. He is the keeper for that team, of that I have no doubt. His omission is, I feel, purely political. If not from the PFA directly then in the individual minds of enough of the voting professionals to make a difference to the final tally.

jerryatricjanner

โœ… Evergreen
Auction Winner ๐Ÿ‘จโ€โš–๏ธ
๐ŸŒŸSparksy Mural๐ŸŒŸ
Apr 22, 2006
A very good summing up of the Reid situation X Isle. Rather than be accused of laziness we should applaud him for playing half the season through the pain barrier and being restricted to about 80% of his full capacity.

jerryatricjanner

โœ… Evergreen
๐ŸŒŸSparksy Mural๐ŸŒŸ
Apr 22, 2006
Argy1e":qljfnjcd said:
jerryatricjanner":qljfnjcd said:
McHugh's case wouldn't have been helped by the fact that votes are cast in January and his dodgy start at left back early in the season would have harmed his case as well.
Think you're thinking of a different award, PFA awards are voted for at the end of March.
Isn't that the deadline for votes being handed in? I understand the voting forms are sent out in the New Year and most clubs/players return them pretty quickly.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
The inclusion of Matt Grimes is baffling given he left the league in January. One of our defensive unit definitely should be in there and for me O'Connor should also, however he fulfills a role that doesn't get a lot of credit from an outsiders view.

jerryatricjanner

โœ… Evergreen
๐ŸŒŸSparksy Mural๐ŸŒŸ
Apr 22, 2006
A very good summing up of the Reid situation X Isle. Rather than be accused of laziness we should applaud him for playing half the season through the pain barrier and being restricted to about 80% of his full capacity.As for your take on McCormick I don't agree. Footballers are not normally top of any morals table and I dont think his past demeanour would have had any or certainly very little bearing on it. The players and also the manager's of the club's both voted Bentley top keeper and he is an outstanding prospect, bigger and younger than McCormick and seemingly destined for bigger things in the future. A lot of Argyle fans are very quick to label McCormick the best when most have probably seen the other keepers play just once or twice each.
Grimes is another example of form in the first half of the season being a major factor and voting forms would have been out about the time he left City.

Jul 29, 2010
Nobby":2pql41jp said:
The inclusion of Matt Grimes is baffling given he left the league in January. One of our defensive unit definitely should be in there and for me O'Connor should also, however he fulfills a role that doesn't get a lot of credit from an outsiders view.

My take on the defence Nobby is exactly as you state, ours is a defensive 'unit', rather than individually brilliant players. Teams we've played who got no change out of our defence probably didn't walk of the pitch thinking "by 'eck that Hartley/McHugh/Nelson fella was mustard today". They were shut out by a very effective defensive unit, and you can't vote for a unit, just individuals.

To my mind Luke is in there and a back three of McHugh, Hartley, Nelson are there. I put more store in the goals conceded column of the league table than the whim of a voting slip.

It's frustrating that we have three out of four great departments to our side and still only find ourselves in 7th/8th, but that's a whole other discussion. Even if the PFA don't recognise it in their team, and the league table doesn't recognise it in our final finishing position, we however should acknowledge that our keeper, defensive unit and 30+ strike duo are very good :clap:

jerryatricjanner

โœ… Evergreen
๐ŸŒŸSparksy Mural๐ŸŒŸ
Apr 22, 2006
But don't you think fans of Southend and Shrewsbury who conceded less goals and without playing 2 defensive midfielders to protect a back 3 would also have great claim on their players being included? We all probably look at things from a rather biased point of view whichever club we support.

tonycholwell

R.I.P
Jun 9, 2006
Somerset
Knarf Reprah":3og16cwh said:
Hilarious! Team of the year? After his performances over throats three months he shouldn't even be playing for Argo! Tony he IS lazy

Frank, it has been clear for some time that RR has been carrying an injury. It is remarkable that not only has he been selected but has carried on for the team. He is our top scorer and by a wide margin. He is the only natural goal scorer regularly played in the 1st team.

Up front there is no hiding place, no protection yet his goals have earned the team this play off place. The service he receives is frequently woeful.

So, he is not lazy, but, in my view, he is gutsy and has, again, made the difference.

ps whats his throat got to do with anything?:)

Melbourne Mark

๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ
Mar 1, 2006
Melbourne
Well done, Reuben!

Now just get the goals to take us up!