Reuben - to Pompey (Cook - "No deal") | Page 19 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Reuben - to Pompey (Cook - "No deal")

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
davie nine":25s4o6vh said:
Fortunately, in less than 20 hours this thread of 251 posts will finally become obsolete (until January, I suppose).

Alleluia!!!

Less than 5 hours and 271 posts.

Knarf must be getting anxious now.

Mar 14, 2009
It's good that the Argyle board have stood firm. It seems like we are very settled.

The David de gea transfer just shows when a player wants to leave they hold the cards. I always thought if Reid was leaving it would be down to whether he is committed to Argyle and whether he seeks the move. If he wanted to go, just like Hourihane, I think a move would of been on the cards but I'm guessing he is more than happy to stay.

As For Man Utd, it leaves them with one unhappy player, who's they have to hope knuckles down. What a mess they have made of things.

Nov 30, 2010
Brechin
jerryatricjanner":z5wp93qg said:
I think 300K might be a more realistic price but what would we get for that? A 3 grand a week striker on a 2 year contract after probably forking out 200K in the first place perhaps? No guarantee he would be any better than Reid either. We couldn't sell him without replacing him as all we have left is Jervis who has made a very encouraging start and Brunt who is still finding his way in league football and is probably a league 2 journeyman type number 9 rather than a player who is going to inspire a promotion push. After that Harvey who we are still waiting to step up to the mark, the injured Smalley and a boy who is not yet ready for regular first team football. For people to say we have managed to get to 2nd after 5 games without any great input from Reid and to think that could be sustained with only the forward options we would have left is a bit naive and would be a massive gamble never mind taking away so much positivity that the fan base generally feel at the moment. IF the club felt an offer did come in that was just too good to turn down for a player nearing the end of his contract say 400/500k then the only thing that would appease most fans would be to spend the vast majority of it on buying a proven player of some quality for the lower leagues. As it stands unless behind the scenes Reid is seriously pushing to double his wages elsewhere, which I doubt then the club should stay strong as they appear to be doing. The feel good factor, the goodwill with the fan base would be well rewarded with a serious promotion push adding at least 20,000 paying customers over our likely budgeted for attendance figure for the remaining 20 home games which would cover any transfer fee lost now.

The point is, that we can't spend 'the vast majority' of any fee received for RR on a replacement. We can only spend - at most - 50% of it. The rest goes in the debt pot as unbudgeted income. So even if Pompey offered £500K, we could only spend £250K of it on a replacement. Which makes the Board's decision even easier in terms of saying 'no'.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I wouldn't agree with that Jim.

If you think about it, surely the temptation to pay off a largish slice would make turning it down even braver.

Although saying that, the idea of someone offering £500k for RR with a year to go is beyond ludicrous.

I'm sure he's been tapped up, has his head been turned, I doubt it, perhaps next June, he'll go, but I have no doubt if things are going swimmingly in December, there will be several new offers on the table. It's what success brings, which must be a positive step forward.

Nov 30, 2010
Brechin
As far as I can judge, the Board have been robust and firm in their dealings with Pompey (and, apparently, others) in making clear that Reubs is not for sale and I applaud them unreservedly for that. I'm guessing/hoping/assuming that their analysis is the same as mine: that the fastest way to clear the debt is to go up & therefore not letting Reubs go for anything less than astronomical money makes no sense.

I'm sad that I haven't yet had the opportunity to see DA's side in the flesh yet - York away is firmly in the diary. But from what I have seen it looks like a) the Board has backed DA and b) they are dead serious about promotion. That makes me more optimistic than I have been for some time.

Wish we'd put in a cheeky bid for Tubbs though, if only, as my kids say, 'for the bants' ;)

C

Cobi Budge.

Sorry but it's ridiculous to expect a side to pay a million for a 27 year old league 2 player with a year left on his deal. If he was 19 and had a few left then maybe.

If someone was to come in for him at this second I'd want 500k, but if we had time to replace him then he's probably worth 250-300k.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Another reason for turning down offers is that we have had a successful start and the attendances, as long as our success continues, will keep increasing.

I do not have the figures but I am pretty sure that our promotions in more recent decades were achieved after unsuccessful or uninspiring starts to the season.

The comparison between our crowd for Southend at the end of August last year compared to Newport at the same stage this year was up by 25% and I suspect that this trend will continue.

Even at an average of £12 per supporter per game, which is the lowest average that I have seen suggested on here, that would give a very substantial increase in gate money. Probably a minimum of £20k per home match.

No brainer!!! Keep Reuben and move on.

Nov 30, 2010
Brechin
Cobi Budge.":14zmlaqg said:
Sorry but it's ridiculous to expect a side to pay a million for a 27 year old league 2 player with a year left on his deal. If he was 19 and had a few left then maybe.

If someone was to come in for him at this second I'd want 500k, but if we had time to replace him then he's probably worth 250-300k.

It's not really about 'what it's reasonable to expect', it's about how badly any prospective purchaser wants him and the difference him going makes to our promotion push bearing in mind we can't sign a replacement of equivalent value (or at least spend as much on one). That's market economics. Any bid we accept has to reflect that - which is, presumably, why those that we've had have all been turned down.

The Board have the whip hand and they know it. Pay our valuation or get lost, regardless of whether you think it is 'reasonable', or not.

Apr 20, 2004
Dorset
The window may be shut on transfer deals but not on delayed announcements of them ... :crazy:

Hopefully not in this case, though.

C

chronicgreen

With Smalley nearly fit as well this is surely the strongest squad we've had since the 'glory years' of the Championship, great news about Reid.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Cook has made 10 changes to the starting 11 for the JPT game tonight compared to the last game for Portsmouth. He just doesn't care about any football rules and is willing to pay the £5,000 fine. To throw money away like that after coming through administration is very poor form.