Sack Adams now | Page 19 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Sack Adams now

O

Ox Fan

Balham_Green":aglu1b1z said:
Ox Fan":aglu1b1z said:
Hard luck chaps. Really wanted you to come up and the playoffs can be a cruel thing.

As an outsider looking in, I wouldn't sack Adams. He got you 5th in his first season. Appleton got us 13th in his and a big chunk of the season we were struggling near the bottom, with a very real threat of relegation. A lot of us would've had him sacked but then we finished the season strongly, had a good summer where we signed players like Roofe and Sercombe and went on and had a brilliant season this time round. If you sack Adams you'll go back to square 1 with no guarantees of getting better next time.

Given that you spent a lot of the season in the top 3, I think he's definitely got it in him to get you up. A lot of the disappointment you'll have now will just be the fallout from a disappointing end of the season. I suppose the end of the season run in shapes the post season attitude about a manager but personally I can see him getting you up next season.

Yeah but you haven't got a clue really. Just because it worked for Appleton doesn't mean it will for Adams.

Well yeah you're right I don't know, but not do you or anyone else.

I'm just saying that we stuck with our manager after he had a worse first season than Adams and he's done a great job in his second season. It's been the best season I've ever had watching Oxford (I'm one of the younger fans).

I was just making the point that I think it makes more sense for you to keep Adams and let him build on his first season, rather than ripping it all to pieces and starting again. But then again I don't have a clue, as you say.

O

Ox Fan

Steve Evans":228bjm9p said:
Ox Fan":228bjm9p said:
Hard luck chaps. Really wanted you to come up and the playoffs can be a cruel thing.

As an outsider looking in, I wouldn't sack Adams. He got you 5th in his first season. Appleton got us 13th in his and a big chunk of the season we were struggling near the bottom, with a very real threat of relegation. A lot of us would've had him sacked but then we finished the season strongly, had a good summer where we signed players like Roofe and Sercombe and went on and had a brilliant season this time round. If you sack Adams you'll go back to square 1 with no guarantees of getting better next time.

Given that you spent a lot of the season in the top 3, I think he's definitely got it in him to get you up. A lot of the disappointment you'll have now will just be the fallout from a disappointing end of the season. I suppose the end of the season run in shapes the post season attitude about a manager but personally I can see him getting you up next season.
ox fan!thanks for the commiserations mate and well played your team.a great game against you down here.
going from one thing to another,what's the word on curtis nelson?

Thanks for the kind words.

Regarding Curtis Nelson, all I've read is that we've had talks with him. But that was from a rumour on our forum, so nothing reliable!

What do you make of him?

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Ox Fan":2hwldtcp said:
Steve Evans":2hwldtcp said:
Ox Fan":2hwldtcp said:

ox fan!thanks for the commiserations mate and well played your team.a great game against you down here.
going from one thing to another,what's the word on curtis nelson?

Thanks for the kind words.

Regarding Curtis Nelson, all I've read is that we've had talks with him. But that was from a rumour on our forum, so nothing reliable!

What do you make of him?
really good central defender who would benefit,in my opinion,from not being captain.he has just turned 23 and has played over 200 games for us!with great respect,i hope he stays with us.

Oct 5, 2013
On the evidence of what has happened this season under DA, I have serious doubts that it will be much different next season.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
philevs":2o9lwx4v said:
On the evidence of what has happened this season under DA, I have serious doubts that it will be much different next season.

Depends on whether we have the pre new year DA when he had his first choice team or the post new year when injuries took a massive toll on the threadbare squad.

May 14, 2004
PLYMOUTH
Given a decent budget Adams will get us up, I agree we should have played 2 up front but in Adams I trust, the previous incumbent couldn't even change he's (swear word) socks let alone a playing system people have short memories!

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I tell you what, it's not many Managers that can say they saved TWO teams from relegation in one season.

Sheridan can.

He also saved us. Short memories??

J

jimbo

Thick janners forget really quickly.

Give it a week they will forget they are still in the 4th division.

Jan 18, 2009
Bittaford
It wasn't just injuries! Mr Adams seemed to lose bravery and judgement in the second half of the season compared to pre december i.e. the game against Notts County where Reub got 2! He took off Wylde after 25 mins to change the game even tho it was still 0-0.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
jimbo":2kqhezi0 said:
Thick janners forget really quickly.

Give it a week they will forget they are still in the 4th division.

"They"?

Jul 14, 2008
Sheridan is a poor mans Pulis in that he knows how to organise a team in order to keep them up - there is no shame in that and it's clearly something he is very good at, I'm grateful for what he did here. But in order to move up the leagues I think you need someone a bit more progressive - I still haven't got over some of the away performances I witnessed last season (14/15). Good luck to him at Notts though. I'm very confident Adams will get us up next season.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
edmonds200":1pooj3wz said:
It wasn't just injuries! Mr Adams seemed to lose bravery and judgement in the second half of the season compared to pre december i.e. the game against Notts County where Reub got 2! He took off Wylde after 25 mins to change the game even tho it was still 0-0.

It's been a weird old season from DA that's for sure. Many expected him to start slowly before growing into the league as the season wore on. As it turned out though the league seemed to kick the stuffing out of him as it went on.

Hopefully the summer break will give him a chance to sit down and think back over his approach to last season. He will need to come out fighting again next year as he did before; no fear, no worrying about upsetting the opposition, no worrying about upsetting players, ignoring the criticisms and to some extent praise from us fans.

He is a good manager no doubt about it, it just seems as though something was lost along the way last year, something that hopefully he can recapture this summer.

Jan 18, 2009
Bittaford
BTW despite my post I don't think we as a club could currently attract anyone half as good as Derek Adams. He is a championship level manager minimum and certainly better than Stubbs and the Norwich manager