Simon Church (signed for Scunthorpe) | Page 12 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Simon Church (signed for Scunthorpe)

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
HC Green":371kxtux said:
Tugboat":371kxtux said:
Another opportunity missed through lack of urgency or ability to make a decision?

Seems odd that the club haven’t really commented on the matter.

Also seems odd that another club on far smaller gates seem far in front of us in terms of what they can offer a player.

So where has all our money gone? Please remind me.

I suspect if we sign him, we will be reading comments like, cheap option, no one else wanted him, injury prone, if we don’t sign him it will be because of money or lack of, nobody ever seems to think it’s down to footballing reasons, or the player’s personal reasons like location. Odd that.

Yeah personal reasons and locations but still come down for a few weeks on trial?

Same with that Cardiff striker on loan. Everything seemed in place then we stalled for reasons still unknown and the deal fell through.

Jul 12, 2016
By all accounts Church has not played much competitive football lately.He is a free agent who presumably is keen to get his career back on track. DA has a reputation for finding these sort of players. In our position I think DA would have offered him a contract by now if he had been convinced it was worth it. As for quality of training facilities etc it's more like our location would be offputting.

Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
The club seem to be pleading poverty again but you have to ask where have the windfalls gone?

I know we've spent some money on Harper's Park which was desperately needed but the playing budget is the worst in League 1 according to the manager.

Nov 16, 2006
With the way our season’s gone, I get that everyday is negative at the moment, but this bloke has been ON TRIAL and now it seems that he’s not going to sign, consensus is that he’s must have turned us down because of money/facilities etc. or even because our manager is too negative!

Surely the fact that he is on trial could just as easily mean that we didn’t think he was fit/good enough to make instant impact that we so desperately need, that he’s no different to what we’ve got etc?

It’s not always the case that the least positive scenario is the right one!

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Green Neil":32iphda2 said:
With the way our season’s gone, I get that everyday is negative at the moment, but this bloke has been ON TRIAL and now it seems that he’s not going to sign, consensus is that he’s must have turned us down because of money/facilities etc. or even because our manager is too negative!

Surely the fact that he is on trial could just as easily mean that we didn’t think he was fit/good enough to make instant impact that we so desperately need, that he’s no different to what we’ve got etc?

We obviously did research on him before offering him a trail so we must have know what kind of striker he is (hold up type/ball to feet etc etc) so I wouldn’t put it down to how similar he is. If he’s good at whatever role he plays then we have to adapt slight to accommodate him.

If he’s not fit or ready to play for a few months why would another L1 club be interested in signing him?

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
What is to say we wanted him in the first place?

He has been on trial for 1-2 weeks hasn't he, if Adams was that keen on him and with our current form we would have made an offer much sooner.

Perhaps he wasnt up to Adams' fitness standards or serious injury has meant he's lost a step. Perhaps by the time he would be fully fit January would be upon us and we would have more options anyway. Maybe the injuries to Taylor and Ciftci are better than we expected a week ago.

All in all it would have been a big gamble, if he's turned offers down his wages won't be small so we face tying up a big salary on a potential dud. Scunthorpe with an already reliable forward are probably in a better place to take that gamble, if it comes off great, if it fails they have Madden to fall back on, him signing for us means forgoing a pick of whoever is available in January so he has to be a success.

Of course we may have been outbid but we don't know that, I know things seem to be going against us at every turn but it really is just as reasonable to assume Adams just didn't fancy it. If we're feeling really positive maybe Adams has got someone better already lined up, we can dream :greensmile:

Aug 5, 2016
Imagine if we wasted a big chunk of the the remaining budget on another striker who spent more time in the physio's room. Maybe Adams gave him a trial to see how sharp he was, and didn't feel 100% confident he was over his hip trouble.

Nov 16, 2006
Tugboat":ihk5kday said:
Green Neil":ihk5kday said:

We obviously did research on him before offering him a trail so we must have know what kind of striker he is (hold up type/ball to feet etc etc) so I wouldn’t put it down to how similar he is. If he’s good at whatever role he plays then we have to adapt slight to accommodate him.

If he’s not fit or ready to play for a few months why would another L1 club be interested in signing him?

My only thoughts Tuggers were that our situation is obviously a bit more desperate than other clubs. We need someone who was able to hit the ground running, whereas other clubs who are not rapidly being cast adrift like us can have a slightly longer term “by Xmas time he should be fit & firing” type attitude.

It may well be because he hated it here and any hypothetical offer we made him was for crappy wages etc., but we simply don’t know.

C

Charles Plym

Who in their right minds would sign for us????? On a hiding to nothing . Fans that boo the first error . Social media full of villification of the owner , manager and of anyone who offers positive words . This club right now is getting what it deserves . Zilch . Until the whole mindset of the club from owner to fans becomes more positive we will remain crap !

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Charles.plym":xztrkram said:
Who in their right minds would sign for us????? On a hiding to nothing . Fans that boo the first error . Social media full of villification of the owner , manager and of anyone who offers positive words . This club right now is getting what it deserves . Zilch . Until the whole mindset of the club from owner to fans becomes more positive we will remain crap !

There are easily far worse than us.

When teams perform as badly as we have you are likely to receive far worse as a player or manager. Adams takes some stick on here but he gets off extremely lightly at games. Fortunate he doesn't have the Mayflower right behind him and fortunate the Green Army is hugely forgiving and supportive at games. Very few teams in our position would chant "one Derek Adams" and "Derek had a dream" during the small glimpses of hope we get at games.

As for social media, it's a bad place. Some of the things said on here aren't nice but they aren't sent directly to any player. The same can't be said of Twitter or Facebook but sadly that is the way of the Internet and the accessibility of players these days. Thing is its part and parcel of the game now, it would be hugely naive to think other clubs are better, that fanbases don't have their same moronic online sections.

The mindset is not to blame, we live under the same owner, same manager and same support that saw us gain promotion. Things haven't gone out way of late but the Green Army has stood relatively strong, you may not be able to tell it on here but the players and manager have been given a very easy ride for a team sat dead last with barely any shots on goal let alone actually putting one in.

Feb 8, 2005
Charles.plym":17js4vgi said:

Said by a TRUE supporter of the Football Club - NOT.

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
Charles.plym":348y6kxy said:

So if Brent skipped into the club on match day and did a little dance at half time and said to everyone 'let's all have fun together with a little singalong' it would make a difference would it? Fans don't want his positive mindset. They want his money. In fact, they think that they are one and the same thing. So, short of Brent giving us millions, which he has never said he would, how is he going to persuade fans that he has a positive mindset?

C

Charles Plym

jimsing":zzp7b199 said:
Charles.plym":zzp7b199 said:

Said by a TRUE supporter of the Football Club - NOT.

Oh I'm a TRUE supporter all right and I don't need to be judged by you for that , I'm sick of negative posts so I'm going to call it as I see it , I don't label negative supporters non fans as I'm sure they are as committed as anyone , I am however questioning the view that constant moaning achieves change , I just take the view that our supporters are very much reactive " what have we got to cheer about" just one example of the entitled attitude that prevails amongst our fan base , our situation is dire right now and how the players might respond to being cheered rather than jeered remains to be seen but it's got to be worth a try ? The last time our fan base got behind the side was the Wycombe play off semi and boy that lifted the players . Sit back and whinge if you like , you pays your money of course but if the end product isn't what you hoped for then perhaps you didn't play your part ? Handing over your 25 quid only does so much .