Southampton take over one of our development centres | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Southampton take over one of our development centres

Jul 29, 2010
.....and you just know that the Hampshire hogs are busy moaning right now about how clubs are taking their young players for less than they feel they're worth.

We need a fair system of compensation. £30k now plus 10% of any future transfer fee from any player coming through that was at that academy at the time of takeover would be fairer.

That way the lad going to Arsenal say would yeild us £1.6m.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
I never said it was right, I just pointed out that it is there and Argyle are not losing out right now. They may consider they have lost out in tne future if Gardner turns out to be the next David Beckham or something but if he has that in him he is more likely to find it at Southampton than at Argyle where they have no development opportunities beyond the age of 18 unless the boy has proved special enough to have already made the first team squad.

Nobody has acknowledged that this is a great move for the boy but then maybe there are some out there that don't believe it is.

Feb 15, 2005
Another half baked idea from the sage, young players have always been poached from the lower clubs, I agree it doesn't make it right of course. Paul Scholes was on Oldham's books as a lad and he ended up at MUFC.

The young players will always be swayed if a top club comes in for them and have done for years before the premiership came into being.

We can't compete with these clubs, end of.

Jan 29, 2010
Lundan Cabbie":3qwyp4nc said:
I never said it was right, I just pointed out that it is there and Argyle are not losing out right now. They may consider they have lost out in tne future if Gardner turns out to be the next David Beckham or something but if he has that in him he is more likely to find it at Southampton than at Argyle where they have no development opportunities beyond the age of 18 unless the boy has proved special enough to have already made the first team squad.

Nobody has acknowledged that this is a great move for the boy but then maybe there are some out there that don't believe it is.

Well that's true it is a great move for Ollie, no doubt about that, the point I think we are all trying to make is that Southampton got him for a fee well below what his potential market value is in a few years time. I have seen him play many times and believe me when I say he is good !
My problem is the set fee system and the blackmail that went before it. Several clubs ditched there youth systems as soon as it was bought in, Yeovil and Wycombe spring to mind. Its a rip off totally, Liverpool signed Lloyd Jones from us a couple of years back, fantastic for the lad, travelling Europe playing football, wonderful stuff, but what did we get for him ? Not a lot !!
pete

Apr 9, 2011
am afraid the only thing that matters is the prem & am afraid its the people with their Sky Sports subs who have helped create the situation we are in. The original idea of the Premiership was to improve the quality of players in the top flight thus strengthening the National squad but this has spectacularly backfired as all it has done is open it up to the money grabbing foreigners.

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
jimsing":39dybhy0 said:
Absolutely disgusting for Chivenor Soccer School to just roll over and decide that they will support Southampton instead of Argyle after 17 years of support from Argyle.
Absolutely disgusted that one of the lads, Head Coach's son, Lee Barrow, has gone to West Brom.
Disgusting that young Olly Gardner can be just taken over by Southampton without a bye or leave.
It doesn't even suggest that any compensation will be granted by Southampton for the three years training that Argyle have put into the lad.
Absolutely disgusted with the way that Southampton have ridden roughshod over everyone. Is this what we can expect from the new system??
If so , it stinks.
Absolutely correct. Chivenor Soccer School should be ashamed. :furious:

Sep 3, 2009
Lundan Cabbie":mdk45msf said:
The money is to compensate the club for the development they have put into a youngster. It is not a payment that reflects future potential. Any youngster who has 100 appearances to his name, the compensation is massively increased.

Am I right in thinking that under EPPP, the compensated club is due up to £1.5m if and when the player in question makes 100 Premier League appearances? If so, I actually think that's about right.

Also, the ethos behind EPPP is that the best prospects end up in the best academies and so have the best chance of making it. If they don't, then all that good coaching should filter down the leagues when those cast out by the top clubs play for lesser lights.

As a way of spreading best practice, I get it.....and it's up to Argyle to get the club up the leagues and improve our academy status, so we keep the better players.

I hate Dyke's plans for Premier League B teams but EPPP seems to make sense, unless I'm missing something obvious here?

Apr 4, 2004
The EPPP fixes the prices at low prices relating to the number of years the selling club developed the player. 1.5 million. Try about 100k maximum.

Sep 3, 2009
ming the merciless":nvs6bwmf said:
The EPPP fixes the prices at low prices relating to the number of years the selling club developed the player. 1.5 million. Try about 100k maximum.

Are you sure? I thought much higher at 100 apps in the PL

According to the wiki leak it's up to £1.3m for 100 appearances in the Prem, £150k for just 10 appearances.

Quite a drop in price when it comes to championship players. Just 250k for 100 appearances... they could still easily make their way as a top class player after that... Will Hughes for example seems destined to make the top grade.

Apr 30, 2011
Lundan Cabbie":321skam0 said:

Would you be quite as flippant if it was Palace having their decent youngsters stolen so frequently?

The 10% of future transfer was a great shout by whoever posted it and L1 and L2 clubs should use whatever small amount of power they have left to make this happen.

A united stance of all L1 and L2 clubs fans refusing to subscribe to Sky Sports would probably be the most influential and realistic thing we could do? Just putting it out there...

Jun 8, 2014
In a very simple argument you could always say these players would never reach their true potential at Argyle so it makes sense for them to move, a change of academy allocation is just wrong though. Fair enough they leave when they're a bit older but I don't think it's fair tht out support of the academy gets so easily taken away from us.

Don't blame those such as Gallagher and Jones who have left from Argyle itself, but this sort of switch seems annoying.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
tigertony":1gb3u36j said:
jimsing":1gb3u36j said:
Absolutely disgusting for Chivenor Soccer School to just roll over and decide that they will support Southampton instead of Argyle after 17 years of support from Argyle.
Absolutely disgusted that one of the lads, Head Coach's son, Lee Barrow, has gone to West Brom.
Disgusting that young Olly Gardner can be just taken over by Southampton without a bye or leave.
It doesn't even suggest that any compensation will be granted by Southampton for the three years training that Argyle have put into the lad.
Absolutely disgusted with the way that Southampton have ridden roughshod over everyone. Is this what we can expect from the new system??
If so , it stinks.
Absolutely correct. Chivenor Soccer School should be ashamed. :furious:

Why should they be ashamed? By going with Southampton, they can double the anount of training sessions each week as well as offering better opportunities to the kids in respect of their general education. That's what they are saying. If Argyle can't give the support they need then why shouldn't they look to improve their lot?