Southampton take over one of our development centres | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Southampton take over one of our development centres

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
Whilst the money, whether its £30K or £1.5 million, is very important to just about all L1/2 clubs the sums involved are pocket money to most Prwm teams. My main gripe is that the so-called big boys can just waltz in, pick a player, stick up 2 fingers and waltz out.

Put ME on the pitch!!":2sucjqrm said:
According to the wiki leak it's up to £1.3m for 100 appearances in the Prem, £150k for just 10 appearances.
Quite a drop in price when it comes to championship players. Just 250k for 100 appearances... they could still easily make their way as a top class player after that... Will Hughes for example seems destined to make the top grade.
So if a player goes to Saints, makes 5 appearances then given a free t/f to a Championship team for whom he plays 43 games before a £10 million move to a Prem club - whats our income ????

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
tigertony":myy17eg4 said:
Whilst the money, whether its £30K or £1.5 million, is very important to just about all L1/2 clubs the sums involved are pocket money to most Prwm teams. My main gripe is that the so-called big boys can just waltz in, pick a player, stick up 2 fingers and waltz out.

Put ME on the pitch!!":myy17eg4 said:
According to the wiki leak it's up to £1.3m for 100 appearances in the Prem, £150k for just 10 appearances.
Quite a drop in price when it comes to championship players. Just 250k for 100 appearances... they could still easily make their way as a top class player after that... Will Hughes for example seems destined to make the top grade.
So if a player goes to Saints, makes 5 appearances then given a free t/f to a Championship team for whom he plays 43 games before a £10 million move to a Prem club - whats our income ????
Reminds me of when Southampton were supposed to have 60% (iirc) of the Bale money when he moved to Madrid but they cancelled it whilst they were admin and desperate for money, bet they feel like shooting their foots off now :lol:

P

pafcstafford

I find this constant subject really grating especially when I hear on radio and TV and even Southampton fans going on about their academy. Them and their chums epitomise capitalist greed. For us to get a measly 30k what is the point.

I really don't think we should bother with these kind of soccer schools. Just have to one of our own and that's it no links etc with others it simply isn't worth it...

Pulis said as much when he was here that youth isn't worth bothering with....

How do crewe protect themselves from this.

On another note there's people worse off than us Stafford Rangers my local non league side set up a small scale youth system that the fans put their own cash in etc. Essentially they have young lads playing in local Sunday football the kids don't pay subs etc and receive free quality training twice a week in the hope eventually they will become good enough and head to their u18s and so on around 5-6 8-12 year olds have left them past couple of years and they don't and never will receive a penny these kids are now at stoke and Vale etc and alot of fans now question why their donations should pay for all that.

Are we not basically in the same boat?

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
pafcstafford":1esllb0n said:
I find this constant subject really grating especially when I hear on radio and TV and even Southampton fans going on about their academy. Them and their chums epitomise capitalist greed. For us to get a measly 30k what is the point.

The point is the boy is only 14 years old. Thirty grand seems a fair price for the development that Argyle have put in.

If in ten years time he is playing for England in the 2024 Euros, I very much doubt that much of his progress to that level can be attributed to what he was taught at ages 11-14.

Apr 4, 2004
Lundan Cabbie":3m1yjhdd said:
pafcstafford":3m1yjhdd said:

The point is the boy is only 14 years old. Thirty grand seems a fair price for the development that Argyle have put in.

If in ten years time he is playing for England in the 2024 Euros, I very much doubt that much of his progress to that level can be attributed to what he was taught at ages 11-14.

Fair point but 30k seems a very small amount to receive for a young player with the potential to go that far in the game. Having said that it's not certain that a small academy like ours would allow the same rate of development that he may show in a better set up. Or even that our academy is good enough to fulfil that potential.

P

pafcstafford

Lundan Cabbie":21v9p04g said:
pafcstafford":21v9p04g said:

It's not about the one lad for me as a whole and with the epp rules is it really worth the money invested in my view noway. May aswell just let premiership sides do all the work and pick the lads up for free when their released at 18-19

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
pafcstafford":32e6d8v6 said:
Lundan Cabbie":32e6d8v6 said:
pafcstafford":32e6d8v6 said:

It's not about the one lad for me as a whole and with the epp rules is it really worth the money invested in my view noway. May aswell just let premiership sides do all the work and pick the lads up for free when their released at 18-19

Absolutely. The scheme has set the break even level way too high for small academies. The investment needed for a higher rank is way too high for for the finances of a lot of smaller clubs.

P

pafcstafford

Do palace suffer similar issues with Chelsea arsenal spurs etc on the door step?

Feb 8, 2013
might seem an old-fashioned view but what has Southampton got to do with Devon? the best players will make it to the top whatever the system, let these players play for their local sides first. So much crap is talked and all it means is that the richest get to exploit things for their own purposes. If you keep things regionalised at a young age then it seems to me that it will be fairer for the kids themselves to prove that they are the best at their local club, district, county etc. some sort of natural progression and natural development of own expectations. As a slight aside (but not a total one) does anyone know the sort of numbers of kids that are affiliated with Chelsea, Tottenham etc. at young ages? expect it is thousands and the purpose is to (1) save money (2) prevent other clubs having them in the first place. this is probably a semi-rant that doesn't actually make sense but I know what I mean and I'm peed off on this sort of subject every time...

oh, and as probably mentioned elsewhere the top Premier clubs could not care less how England do. Self-interest abounds.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
pafcstafford":2n0u8efn said:
Do palace suffer similar issues with Chelsea arsenal spurs etc on the door step?

Not that I have heard of but I must admit I don't really have my finger on the pulse of our 9-14 year olds.

Jan 29, 2010
Young players can't just be stolen anymore. EPPP guarantees that Argyle will be compensated for their development of Olly Gardner. They will be due around £30,000.[/quote]

We didn't get anywhere near that for him

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Pete H":1ifpf92h said:
Young players can't just be stolen anymore. EPPP guarantees that Argyle will be compensated for their development of Olly Gardner. They will be due around £30,000.

We didn't get anywhere near that for him[/quote]

Then he couldn't have been properly signed up to Argyle's academy then. If he was then they are due £3,000 for each year of development Argyle put in between the ages of 9-11 and £12,500 for each year over 12. It is fixed and not negotiable apparantly.

Jan 29, 2010
Lundan Cabbie":1l4gus0s said:
Pete H":1l4gus0s said:
Young players can't just be stolen anymore. EPPP guarantees that Argyle will be compensated for their development of Olly Gardner. They will be due around £30,000.

Then he couldn't have been properly signed up to Argyle's academy then. If he was then they are due £3,000 for each year of development Argyle put in between the ages of 9-11 and £12,500 for each year over 12. It is fixed and not negotiable apparantly.[/quote]

That's right, but when did he sign and at what age ?

Oct 23, 2013
Block 12
Pete H":25pvm6fv said:
Lundan Cabbie":25pvm6fv said:
Pete H":25pvm6fv said:

Then he couldn't have been properly signed up to Argyle's academy then. If he was then they are due £3,000 for each year of development Argyle put in between the ages of 9-11 and £12,500 for each year over 12. It is fixed and not negotiable apparantly.

That's right, but when did he sign and at what age ?[/quote]
Current age; 14
Time at Argyle: 3 years

Jun 8, 2014
You know it's going too far when a discussion about how much we recieve for a 14 year old gets this in depth.