Sportsmanship over Gamesmanship (v Doncaster) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Sportsmanship over Gamesmanship (v Doncaster)

L

lambanog

djg145":ntahhalt said:
I dont care about Doncaster - I don't care if they go on to be the Champions - ALL I care about is that Argyle end up above the team in 4th position.
Wow how wonderful, , and I quite agree, but has that got any substance on my comments ?M

Dec 14, 2008
Plymouth
Not for me. If we clap them off the pitch after beating us I will be very disappointed. It's accepting defeat. Yes they will absolutely be 100% favourites for the title and no doubt would win it, but should they slip up and we could have caught them but didn't because we gave up thinking we could, I'd be pretty p! $$ed tbh.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
green dreams":2opl7il0 said:
Not for me. If we clap them off the pitch after beating us I will be very disappointed. It's accepting defeat. Yes they will absolutely be 100% favourites for the title and no doubt would win it, but should they slip up and we could have caught them but didn't because we gave up thinking we could, I'd be pretty p! $$ed tbh.
This for me. We keep going until the maths say it's done and dusted. I'm sure that whoever Doncaster (or us) are playing when something's decided will afford them the sportsmanship they/we deserve.

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
I live in Donny and from what I hear fans are moving seats (and there are plenty of empty ones!) for this one just to have a go at Luke for his perceived lack of sportsmanship against the young lad who missed a penalty against him and the stupid ex greek Coppinger who should have known better than to grab luke by the throat

Add to this Derek and Fergie were childhood friends in Aberdeen there will be no love lost. As for the league I think they will win it now and they deserve it because they have given Argyle more than enough chances to catch them only for us to be equally bad in losing three home games on the bounce, Lets not also forget the earlier games against Grimsby and Barnet so all in all we have had 5 games to at least be a lot closer than we are.
I think we have both been the most consistent of a poor division and will both be bottom half next season if we go up

Aug 15, 2008
i dont care how we win next week. it matters not. get 3 points and we will go on to the title.

if we have tl time waste, foul, wind up, and employ dark arts so be it.

Aug 15, 2008
Doncaster will lose their heads again. They are too bothered about revenge for the reverse fixture. They will play into our hands if they go gung ho.
I am more comfortable when we are expected to lose. Reference Anfield and our away stats.

Mar 8, 2016
edengreen":36jbdheq said:
I live in Donny and from what I hear fans are moving seats (and there are plenty of empty ones!) for this one just to have a go at Luke for his perceived lack of sportsmanship against the young lad who missed a penalty against him and the stupid ex greek Coppinger who should have known better than to grab luke by the throat

Add to this Derek and Fergie were childhood friends in Aberdeen there will be no love lost. As for the league I think they will win it now and they deserve it because they have given Argyle more than enough chances to catch them only for us to be equally bad in losing three home games on the bounce, Lets not also forget the earlier games against Grimsby and Barnet so all in all we have had 5 games to at least be a lot closer than we are.
I think we have both been the most consistent of a poor division and will both be bottom half next season if we go up

If Luke can deal with what Exeter city fans give him then going to the likes of Doncaster rovers won't concern him in the slightest. They only get a couple of thousand home fans so can't imagine it's gonna be hostile, a non league club punching above their weight to be honest.

May 16, 2016
Moving seats just to be able to shout abuse at a L2 Keeper who saved a penalty ?

A promotion season for them and that passes as excitement ?

Jul 9, 2008
Plymouth
No way!, the only time you may do this is (more or less), the last game of the season when /if a champion winning side visits. Up to that point its in their faces and bite, scratch or just play them off the pitch!

D

Doncastervisitor

lambanog":2471l4jg said:
Next Sunday's game against Donny, will be critical for both teams, if we manage a win, the table is still relatively open, if we draw, then I believe that will favour Donny, not us, if we lose then they go a huge number of points above us.
It is my thoughts that if Donny win, then it must be accepted that they will finish as champions, and well done to them, and if this is the result, then I wonder if Argyle would be sporting enough to clap them off the field.
Instead of reading about thuggery, the black arts, ball boy shoving, petulant managers etc, I think Argyle showing that sportsmanship still exists would garner huge PR for the club.

visiting Doncaster fan in peace..

No, nothing is decided on Sunday whatever the result, so no need to do that. Even if we win and open up a 9 point gap, it's not over is it? I would still hold hope for my team if we were trailing..

Army green":2471l4jg said:
edengreen":2471l4jg said:

If Luke can deal with what Exeter city fans give him then going to the likes of Doncaster rovers won't concern him in the slightest. They only get a couple of thousand home fans so can't imagine it's gonna be hostile, a non league club punching above their weight to be honest.

A couple of thousand? Sure our core support is less after relegation but we have around 5000 home regulars.

Non league? We dropped out of the league for 5 seasons other wise have been in the football league since the 1920s. Not so long ago Doncaster vs Plymouth was a Championship fixture too, or do you have a very short memory?

For what it is worth I think Plymouth have enough points in the bag, with a few more wins, to be promoted.

For us, the maths is simple, win 3 more games and we are guaranteed a top 3 spot. Only 3 sides can get more than 86 points, and we are on 78 so 87 is a target. We don't need to win on Sunday - we don't do things easy at Doncaster (refer to the league 1 promotion game vs Brentford in 2012/13) - but we will sure as hell want to..!!

Good luck for the rest of the season, after Sunday of course..

Feb 24, 2009
Paignton, Devon
Doncastervisitor":30rnrnh4 said:
lambanog":30rnrnh4 said:
Next Sunday's game against Donny, will be critical for both teams, if we manage a win, the table is still relatively open, if we draw, then I believe that will favour Donny, not us, if we lose then they go a huge number of points above us.
It is my thoughts that if Donny win, then it must be accepted that they will finish as champions, and well done to them, and if this is the result, then I wonder if Argyle would be sporting enough to clap them off the field.
Instead of reading about thuggery, the black arts, ball boy shoving, petulant managers etc, I think Argyle showing that sportsmanship still exists would garner huge PR for the club.

No, nothing is decided on Sunday whatever the result, so no need to do that. Even if we win and open up a 9 point gap, it's not over is it? I would still hold hope for my team if we were trailing..

Army green":30rnrnh4 said:
edengreen":30rnrnh4 said:

A couple of thousand? Sure our core support is less after relegation but we have around 5000 home regulars.

Non league? We dropped out of the league for 5 seasons other wise have been in the football league since the 1920s. Not so long ago Doncaster vs Plymouth was a Championship fixture too, or do you have a very short memory?

For what it is worth I think Plymouth have enough points in the bag, with a few more wins, to be promoted.

For us, the maths is simple, win 3 more games and we are guaranteed a top 3 spot. Only 3 sides can get more than 86 points, and we are on 78 so 87 is a target. We don't need to win on Sunday - we don't do things easy at Doncaster (refer to the league 1 promotion game vs Brentford in 2012/13) - but we will sure as hell want to..!!

Yes, don't have a problem at all with your sentiments Mr Don.

Re Sunday, may the best team win and, more importantly, at the end of the season may both teams deservedly get promoted :scarf:

Mar 8, 2016
Doncastervisitor":1drfneu9 said:
lambanog":1drfneu9 said:

Army green":1drfneu9 said:
edengreen":1drfneu9 said:

Ok fair enough, I did honestly think you got about 2-3k, that must have been in the days at belle vue?? 5k isn't going to make McCormick lose any sleep if your fans are planning to move into the spare thousands of empty seats behind the goal to give him grief is it? which is why I made the point in the first place. May the best team win on Sunday, underestimate us at your peril.

D

Doncastervisitor

We wont underestimate anyone, least of all a team in second place FFS..!!

As for moving seats to goad your keeper, that doesn't make sense. The away end is well segregated and the nearest blocks not open,

Some fans may have a go at your keeper, we all have our fair share of numpties. However most of the anger is towards him not because of his past, but more so his less than sportsmanlike behaviour towards our young striker after the penalty miss at your place. Coppinger reacted and got a red card, but your keeper deserved a yellow.

He may get grief, but for footballing reasons, I would like to think..

Win or lose on Sunday, both our teams are going up..