Squad taking shape: the state of play... | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Squad taking shape: the state of play...

When DA became manager i watched quite a few RCFC youtube vids and it seemed
like carey replaced vigurs at some stage in the LCM role in a midfield 3 or
on other occasions he would be seen wide.
He may start with carey wide left for away games (451) with wylde on the
bench? Coming on if chasing the game. Starting wylde in the home games (433)
to give us more attacking width. Luggy and buster for example.
It will all depend on whether wylde does the tracking back stuff well enough.
As carey has played left side of a midfield trio before with DA then i see no
problem in him playing inside in a 433/451. Really not sure he can play inside
in a 442 though. He has played LB/LWB/LM/RM/LCM and as a striker in his career
so he is a pretty useful player to have in the squad whatever.
Bit like lee hodges used to be. But a i dont believe he is a box to box type.
DA could easily adapt the 433 to a narrow 4312 to accomodate tyler if he wanted to
as well although you would have to lose the wide player to achieve it.
Maybe he will play both on the flanks in a 442? Depends on the signings to come
i guess.
That first pre season game and formation cant come soon enough for me.

Sep 8, 2013
Defo need one more CM, otherwise we will be thin in central midfield. And I think we need an influential CM.

Sep 8, 2013
We are still short of a key CM (one who can control and supply) and perhaps a striker (front man who can score or play wide right). The latter particularly so if Reid and Smalley are unlikely to be fit for early season fixtures...(which suggests that this could perhaps be a loanee).

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Can't believe people are happy with this. We look well light in midfield and upfront IMHO

Certainly not a PROMOTION chasing squad yet no matter how good the manager might be.

Think we need to sign another 3 midfielders and 2 forwards to have any chance of getting out of this dreadful league.

Hope we don't become totally reliant on loanees again as that's only a short term fix

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
PL2 3DQ":1fi7nd8r said:
monkeywrench":1fi7nd8r said:
HarlHM":1fi7nd8r said:
monkeywrench":1fi7nd8r said:
Wonder how he'll accommodate wylde and Carey given they are both left sided.
They are?
Far as I know they are.

The second article on the Argyle website about Carey has backtracked a bit and is now saying Carey can play on the right or left or as a striker. I don't think he's the midfield playmaker we were led to believe from the first article.

I've seen him quite a few times, both in person and on tv, and I have never seen him played on the right or as a striker. Whenever I have seen him he has been playing either left side of midfield or left side of a front 3.

Jun 8, 2014
samjones":145pggj0 said:
Can't believe people are happy with this. We look well light in midfield and upfront IMHO

Certainly not a PROMOTION chasing squad yet no matter how good the manager might be.

Think we need to sign another 3 midfielders and 2 forwards to have any chance of getting out of this dreadful league.

Hope we don't become totally reliant on loanees again as that's only a short term fix

How do you know if this is a PROMOTION winning squad? They've not had a blooming training session yet let alone had a game together in which we can judge them.

Bloody hell, the season doesn't start tomorrow - there's ages yet and more signings to come.

Just CHILL out for a bit.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Paven":20zohass said:
samjones":20zohass said:

How do you know if this is a PROMOTION winning squad? They've not had a blooming training session yet let alone had a game together in which we can judge them.

Bloody hell, the season doesn't start tomorrow - there's ages yet and more signings to come.

Just CHILL out for a bit.

Don't feed the troll.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
He did say YET which in the circumstances is a fair appraisal of the current situation.

With the players we currently have and who are fit (so no Reuben):

McCormick

Mellor
Hartley
McHugh
Sawyer

Cox
Nelson

Carey
Harvey
Wylde

Jervis

I'd still like:
- a 'deep-lying playmaker' type of CM
- a defensive utility man who can play right-back, centre-back and defensive midfield (O'Connor type)
- a right-sided player who can play wide-right in a 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1
- another striker, preferably a poacher
- a dynamic, energetic, attacking deep CM in the mould of Bobby Reid

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Good shout. At least five short of pulling off the miracle which would be promotion in this inexperienced manager's first season.

Warnock achieved it but was way more experienced and had a far better squad assembled, with cash to throw around.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Bet Pompey and luton expected to be above the likes of little ol' plymouth last season, didn't help them much.

Motivation trumps expectation I'd bet, there's little evident inspiration from the top for that, but maybe DA can bring some.

May 3, 2007
Liskeard, Cornwall
Gary_Wills":k3h3qh4d said:
Motivation trumps expectation I'd bet, there's little evident inspiration from the top for that.

And you have asked have you Gary? So, how do you know? Or do you expect JB to throw cash at it, therefore exposing our club to circling the drain again? What is happening with the new manager and the construction of a new squad looks pretty consistent with a desire for sustainable progress to me.