Squad taking shape: the state of play... | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Squad taking shape: the state of play...

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
And I bet that every single team in the top 6, with their lower crowds and (probably) lower budgets expected to finish below us. Just because Oxford and Portsmouth failed even more spectacularly doesn't make what we did a success.

21 years ago we had never even been in this poxy division in our history. Go back half a decade and we had only spent 4 years at this level, 2 of which we got promoted anyway.

Not arrogant, but we should be getting promoted. Adams doesn't even have to be the messiah, if his signings are good and he actually makes us a team (not Sheridan's bunch of individuals with no cohesion) then we'll go up - no doubt.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
I'm noting what I passively see, rhino, where does that involve asking, on a solely subjective aspect? How could any such direct enquiry be meaningful or its result unbiased?

I don't consider on the evidence publicly available our well meaning ownership to be any smarter or capable than our pack of peers in mid L2, that simple. Is DA of superior quality to other managers in L2 - complete unknown. New squad - tautology, if you haven't a squad the default of getting one has newness.

How that then leaps to how this sports business might recklessly run its finance, well...

And I think there's plenty of doubt about going up. I suspect we'll finish stronger than we start but not scrape playoffs. Too much gelling too little time.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Our tactically inept manager got us in the playoffs last season despite making 19 signings. Clearly "gelling" wasn't an issue there!

This league is rubbish, end of. We should be aiming for top 3, and I'm sure Adams knows that.

Sep 6, 2006
MannameadGreen":3qzxfqhp said:
With the players we currently have and who are fit (so no Reuben):

McCormick

Mellor
Hartley
McHugh
Sawyer

Cox
Nelson

Carey
Harvey
Wylde

Jervis

I'd still like:
- a 'deep-lying playmaker' type of CM
- a defensive utility man who can play right-back, centre-back and defensive midfield (O'Connor type)
- a right-sided player who can play wide-right in a 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1
- another striker, preferably a poacher
- a dynamic, energetic, attacking deep CM in the mould of Bobby Reid

So you want 3 defensive Midfielders!? Definitely think we need another striker. Bit short there. Reid - Not fit. Brunt - Very raw Ditto Harvey

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
MannameadGreen":3oaqnj9t said:

McCormick

Mellor
Hartley
McHugh
Sawyer

Cox
Nelson

Carey
Harvey
Wylde

Jervis

Interesting. I posted a very similar suggested line-up on the Carey thread early today having not seen this thread. I also put Nelson into midfield in a 4-2-3-1 formation. I think Hartley would play left side and McHugh right side. I don't think Harvey will start. I reckon there will be at least one more midfield player signed (central and/or right-sided).

Jun 8, 2014
Balham_Green":2wk7j357 said:
MannameadGreen":2wk7j357 said:

McCormick

Mellor
Hartley
McHugh
Sawyer

Cox
Nelson

Carey
Harvey
Wylde

Jervis

I'd still like:
- a defensive utility man who can play right-back, centre-back and defensive midfield (O'Connor type)

So you want 3 defensive Midfielders!? Definitely think we need another striker. Bit short there. Reid - Not fit. Brunt - Very raw Ditto Harvey

Not quite sure that's what he's getting at at all.

We currently have Cox as a central midfielder and that's literally it, a utility man, deep lying/advanced playmaker type and an energetic box to box would go well. I'm not sure we need all that, and would personally go all out for a box to box midfielder followed by a playmaker if it's at all possible.

Definitely need another striker, we have Reid who'd not fit and then only three who're big risks that aren't either 18 or Deane Smalley.

Wide right midfielder would be much appreciated to. I think 4 more signings is realistic enough.

Sep 6, 2006
Paven":1lc67ypl said:
Balham_Green":1lc67ypl said:
MannameadGreen":1lc67ypl said:

McCormick

Mellor
Hartley
McHugh
Sawyer

Cox
Nelson

Carey
Harvey
Wylde

Jervis

I'd still like:

Not quite sure that's what he's getting at at all.

We currently have Cox as a central midfielder and that's literally it, a utility man, deep lying/advanced playmaker type and an energetic box to box would go well. I'm not sure we need all that, and would personally go all out for a box to box midfielder followed by a playmaker if it's at all possible.

Definitely need another striker, we have Reid who'd not fit and then only three who're big risks that aren't either 18 or Deane Smalley. Plus Jarvis

Wide right midfielder would be much appreciated to. I think 4 more signings is realistic enough.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
MannameadGreen":2kyxa5ze said:

McCormick

Mellor
Hartley
McHugh
Sawyer

Cox
Nelson

Carey
Harvey

I'd still like:

That team looks more like a relegation team than a promotion team

Mar 27, 2013
BIDEFORD NORTH DEVON
Mr Oddball .... I think the squad is taking shape quite nicely with 4 New signings so far and believe there's more to come

Start of a New Era and memories of Wycombe Away are long gone

Are you coming to Bideford ? Sat 18th July :scarf:

oddball":1lxc34w5 said:
MannameadGreen":1lxc34w5 said:

McCormick

Mellor
Hartley
McHugh
Sawyer

Cox
Nelson

Carey
Harvey

I'd still like:

What don't you like?

Jun 8, 2014
oddball":3c7c4r60 said:
MannameadGreen":3c7c4r60 said:

McCormick

Mellor
Hartley
McHugh
Sawyer

Cox
Nelson

Carey
Harvey

I'd still like:

Blimey, we played teams much worse than this and stayed in the football league (twice) so I'm not quite sure how in any world you can say that?