Stating the obvious | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Stating the obvious

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
Deacster":26rgyyuf said:
The start to this season mirrors last season, not especially playing that well, dominating games or with many clear margins. Yet here we are 5 points clear again! Hopefully the bigger squad this season will help us last the distance.

The bigger squad is the essential difference--and I believe it will see us out of this accursed league!

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Only if a bigger squad means having more than a Plan A.

For all the hard training last year, we were pretty predictable and once teams suss out what the new system is they'll be ensuring the basics like leaving the same player unattended so who comes out with the ball is always Bully and they'll put a player with a bit of pace on Carey who lacks that turn of speed. Purrington's a promising one. Two up front would certainly seem to make us a little less predictable.

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
Gary_Wills":1zgxq9c4 said:
Only if a bigger squad means having more than a Plan A.

For all the hard training last year, we were pretty predictable and once teams suss out what the new system is they'll be ensuring the basics like leaving the same player unattended so who comes out with the ball is always Bully and they'll put a player with a bit of pace on Carey who lacks that turn of speed. Purrington's a promising one. Two up front would certainly seem to make us a little less predictable.

Congratulations Gary , the first post i have ever understood from you .

May 17, 2012
judging by some comments, it's not worth celebrating any win/run/ performance cos it's only where we are in May that counts- we need to forget last season, this Team is unrecognisable from last( how many were at orient last year, 3 ?) . Every game and every point is precious and we should bask in the glory of being the form team, god knows we rarely get much to crow about as argyle supporters :scarf:

Jul 12, 2016
Different team but same Manager and tactics. Performances to date similar to last year not convincing but winning points. Still cannot see us scoring many goals but time will tell.

Jun 4, 2015
Ford
I see we're still 3rd favourites for the L2 title behind Pompey and Donny though. On the other hand, Paddypower have us at 5-1 on for promotion, according to the Oddschecker website!

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Yes that surprised me too. 3rd or 4th favourites to win the league outright at 7 to 1 yet overwhelming favourites for promotion at 5 to 1 on. I am not a betting man but was tempted at the more generous 12 to 1 just a fortnight ago.

Mark Smith

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Luxembourg and Horsham
I'll be more comfortable once we have beaten some of the higher-flying teams.

At present we have only played three teams currently in the top half of the table, and we have lost twice.

Before 10 games the table can be deceptive, but now it is firming up that is the state of affairs.

I'm not saying we can't beat the better teams, only that we haven't been fully tested yet against Crewe, Doncaster, Portsmouth, Grimsby, etc.

(Then again, I have always thought that at least one promoted team each year has had a lucky fixture list, mostly playing teams on a bad run when it comes to playing them; difficult to prove)

Jul 12, 2004
On Saturday we were two points clear now we are five. What does that say about the so called threats below us. It is worthless winning 5-1 at home and then lose 3-1 away as Portsmouth did. Their fans must be far more worried than we are.

Is there a Northampton, Oxford and Bristol Rovers in the pack? Possibly one but I suspect not three.

Apr 15, 2008
London
I don't think anyone will be getting carried away until Feb/March this year. Still need to strengthen in January I reckon (within reason/budget of course). Still, we'd have taken this position in mid-August.

NLG

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
I guess we are all suffering the pain of last season's disappointments after being in such a good position. Add to this the fact that many feel we are playing in a similar way, with some saying not playing that well and getting lucky wins. Should this really stop us getting excited and uniting behind the team and generating the positivity DA seems to think is needed to be successful? It seems a number of people are unhappy we are not winning like the 70's Brazil team, and they are fully entitled to be critical. However surely they realise this can be construed as negative and unhelpful and can actually impact how successful we can be. If someone keeps telling you you are useless, no matter how well you do your job, it will have an impact on your performance.

In these rare periods of success, giving positive support will keep it going much longer than providing constant, and at times unwarranted, criticism.

:scarf:

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
If Adams were in the market of offering up an objective opinion on Argyle matters, then his input might be remotely taken on board by more of the missing masses.

I think the mistake the good people of Plymouth are really making is employing long memories, taking into account stuff like the trend of recent history, the crunch point of the previous two seasons, performances, entertainment, the feel of the premises, what the leaders of the place actually get done rather than talked about, all nonsense stuff. When all the pundits will inform you only result matters, it's the here and now, forget the past, 10 games and all's forgiven, believe in better funding success because live support and the club shop, enjoyable or not (cos the result matters not the enjoyment, get with it!), is the only thing paving the way to EPL riches.

Until the people sat in the stands looking on change, and the people not there out doing something instead change, the people who are supposed to do the stuff just won't be able to. So frustrating.

Apr 6, 2009
I think we haven't played particularly well but have got the points and thats all that matters. I'm more excited about if we start playing really well!!!

Points however are points at the end of the day and if we continue to win ugly and rack up the points so be it.

Dec 2, 2005
London
The really obvious thing to state is: If you're a fan of a lower league football club and they are 5 points clear at the top of the table, following a run of 8 wins and a draw, there isn't really much point in you being a fan of a lower league football club. It will never give you happiness.

Sep 21, 2003
Peverell
LostPilgrim":3ho12her said:
The really obvious thing to state is: If you're a fan of a lower league football club and they are 5 points clear at the top of the table, following a run of 8 wins and a draw, there isn't really much point in you being a fan of a lower league football club. It will never give you happiness.

Amen. Give me "dodgy" or "lucky" wins all season long. I can remember walking away from many Sturrock performances, even games where we'd won 3-0, thinking "How the hell did we win that?".