Street traders | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Street traders

Aug 30, 2006
Sheffield
I've been into the club shop before wanting to buy a flag. The choice I had was a smallish Forza Verde flag for £ 8. I ended up buying a Devon flag which was twice the size and only £6 from a shop on the Barbican. I've also since bought a green /white /green Uganda flag off the internet for £3. Both these flags would have a longer shelf life than ForzaVerde and would be better sellers even in seasons when we don't get to Wembley. As others have observed there seems to be a certain lack of commercial nous up at HP.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
rjgalway89":1azsq53j said:
Sorry for a slightly unrelated post but does any kind soul fancy buying me a playoff final scarf and I can meet you pre match on Monday. I live in Northern Ireland and travelling over tomorrow night. Cheers
I can get one tomorrow afternoon for you if there's any left. I'll PM you.

May 27, 2016
The company that sells these fake copies make around £10 k a day. They had 3 stalls scattered around various locations. We were sat in Americanos and watched them sell a scarf or flag for around £8 every minute ... Around £480 an hour X 8 hours X 3 stalls.
So anyone saying it's small time street traders making a few quid could not be more wrong. This company effectively stole £70k out of the tills of the argyle shop.
While their gear did not have the Argyle name they were telling people it was official merchandise. Trading standards for some mysterious reason shut up shop from last week, while the city centre management team seems to have turned a blind eye to the lack of street trading permits or pedlars licenses. Make of that what you will but to me the whole thing stinks.

Sep 21, 2003
Peverell
Sebby Godwin":29hmcsnp said:
The company that sells these fake copies make around £10 k a day. They had 3 stalls scattered around various locations. We were sat in Americanos and watched them sell a scarf or flag for around £8 every minute ... Around £480 an hour X 8 hours X 3 stalls.
So anyone saying it's small time street traders making a few quid could not be more wrong. This company effectively stole £70k out of the tills of the argyle shop.
While their gear did not have the Argyle name they were telling people it was official merchandise. Trading standards for some mysterious reason shut up shop from last week, while the city centre management team seems to have turned a blind eye to the lack of street trading permits or pedlars licenses. Make of that what you will but to me the whole thing stinks.

No, Argyle have blobbed a load of income by not getting their act together and placing stalls themselves.

C

CornishGreenWhite

Sebby Godwin":1w74746i said:

Selling 1 a minute at every stall?! Don't think so! That would mean they're selling 1440 Scarfs and Flags a day! (60 scarfs X 3 stalls X 8 Hours)

Are we all going to be taking in 10 scarfs and 4 flags each? :facepalm:

They have not stollen 70k out of Argyles till's. Rightly or wrongly, Argyle have missed the opportunity as per as they are thoroughly amateurish and should have had these stalls across the city.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
I believe that it is not possible to copyright names. Whether that extends to names of football clubs I'm not sure but one thing that would be for certain is, the club do not own any rights to the word "Plymouth." Has the club gone to lengths to protect the word "Argyle" or indeed would they be allowed to? After all, Manchester United cannot and have not any claims on the word "United."

As long as no club logos or badges are used, sadly these traders are not infringing on the rights of clubs. As for selling in the city centre, this infringes on local traders and not the club.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Lundan Cabbie":2f9v39ym said:
I believe that it is not possible to copyright names. Whether that extends to names of football clubs I'm not sure but one thing that would be for certain is, the club do not own any rights to the word "Plymouth." Has the club gone to lengths to protect the word "Argyle" or indeed would they be allowed to? After all, Manchester United cannot and have not any claims on the word "United."

As long as no club logos or badges are used, sadly these traders are not infringing on the rights of clubs. As for selling in the city centre, this infringes on local traders and not the club.

They are once they make any mention to it being official merchandise, by claiming it is Argyle merchandise and that they are therefore official salespeople they are passing themselves off as another company, intentionally deceiving customers to sell as someone they are not.

I imagine the club could do something theoretically but I imagine with the lack of police/city interest are probably unable to do so in practice.

As others have said Argyle have lost out to these cheats. Sadly they'll get away with it now only to come back again next time the good times return.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
pedro91":q3876d81 said:
Thee was a seller at the car boot sale at Argyle this morning.
Don't know if she was affiliated to the club

There was a club official stall by the team coach this morning and a leech stall further away. As I passed by I reminded potential buyers that the leech stall wasn't official and they walked away. :)

Feb 23, 2008
kingsy
Even one in St budeaux square yesterday .....I did ask him if they are real and not fake and he said you get what you pay for .......He did say he wasn't very busy