The Banton/Thomas debate | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The Banton/Thomas debate

A

Alexander

Banton is frustrating fans because he shows glimpses of talent as he did on Tuesday, but has periods of not being involved, shows no desire to tackle, and is clearly lacking in confidence.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
I agree, the epithet lazy definitely has racist undertones and should not be applied to Banton, who in fact just shows a lack of application and is prone to stand around waiting for the ball to come to him. What a load of bo11ocks.

C

Cobi Budge.

I personally think this whole race argument is nonsense.

If Argyle had, over the last few years, had more Non-White players than white players, and more white players had been labelled 'lazy', I strongly doubt anybody would bat an eyelid.

Behind every simple stat, there isn't a conspiracy or a sinister motive.

Granted there is some racism still around in the UK, but compared to the rest of Europe, it's minor.

99.99999% of British football fans will not even think about race when judging a player's application.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Lesley Reardon":n6ks6uai said:
I hate to say it but the 'lazy' moniker seems to get applied only to non-white players, at least by certain people. Racial stereotyping run very deep. Maybe worth stopping and thinking carefully before using such subjective and ill-considered descriptions in future.

With all due respect Lesley I think pulling the the 'race card' out here is crazy.

As Ian Newell suggested, there are many lazy white players we have had too. Maclean, Gow and Capaldi would be up there in my list too.

The colour doesn't come into it for me. Reid was a lazy so and so when he was younger. Thankfully he has improved that part of the game. Banton also appears to be improving that part of the game what with tracking back more.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Must admit that I'm quite staggered (as Nathan Thomas might be too) by this latest piece of managerial wisdom by the gaffer.

Sheridan now tells the Herald that he wanted Banton to stay out there against Wycombe to receive the criticism so he would grow as a player!

Apparently having an ineffective player out there for the players own benefit was more important than trying to rescue a point.

Remarkable.