The Future (Cornish recognition) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The Future (Cornish recognition)

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Green_Flash":23mauhwo said:
Because clubs base their identity on the cities they are in and that is the formula that attracts fans, not just from the city but from the surrounding areas - that is true of every club in the country. As you say, Cornish fans already come to Argyle in large numbers.

We could go the cricket route and name clubs after counties rather than cities but I dont think it is quite as successful a formula...

I don't think anyone is suggesting changing the badge or name, but nods to the Cornish support would be nice. I mean Christ, if the club released that St Pirans flag t-shirt I'd be all over it. Didn't they used to sell caps with the flag on the side?

Jan 6, 2004
I have no problem with some cornish merchandising - a cornish flag on an Argyle T-shirt? A little confusing for my taste - but sure, why not? But the original post suggested something a bit more than that.

tbc

Nov 4, 2011
Why do I get the feeling that if we were to include a nod towards our Cornish neighbours we'd have a BBC Spotlight OB talking to 1 or 2 people (representing the whole of Cornwall) complaining about being associated with a team from another country...

Mork

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Oct 18, 2013
Forster NSW
tbc":1cakryxw said:
Why do I get the feeling that if we were to include a nod towards our Cornish neighbours we'd have a BBC Spotlight OB talking to 1 or 2 people (representing the whole of Cornwall) complaining about being associated with a team from another country...
We well might, I know many of them personally, but this isn't about them or being divisive, this about Argyle fans of the future and bringing people together and maximising the potential fan base of Cornwall.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
We recently had the Cornish flag on the front of our first team shirts for six years in succession.

Aug 10, 2006
Mork":367fu7xn said:
I've tried to post this subject with humour but have been misunderstood, so I'm not a troll or City fan, just a fan trying to think ahead as I believe all clubs will have to adapt, which I know will fly in the face of tradition and values people hold dear!
My point is that our fantastic club generates a lot of support from Cornwall, these fans will always support Argyle even though I feel there number may be decreasing, many fans are armchair supporters only willing to cross the bridge when good times comes, nevertheless they are still a vital potential income provider for the club. Having witnessed the recent success and subsequent failure of Truro City, many Argyle fans stopped going to Plymouth instead heading for Truro for cheaper and more convenient football, I believe that one day the model of the Cornish Pirates will be used in football and thus becoming a Cornish team and not just a Truro team for example.
Potentially Plymouth Argyle could lose thousands of fans, something I don't want to happen! Would it not be prudent of the club to embrace this support by making it more inclusive in the club, hopefully the people of Plymouth are proud of the support Cornish people give to there club, but it shouldn't be taken for granted and I seriously believe its full potential for supporting Argyle hasn't been realized, there is approx. population of 475000 in Cornwall, if the club is smart, it will maximise this potential support by including it within in the club,eg; including a chough on the club crest, or playing in black & gold socks or anything that will let the Cornish people no that this is your club aswell so you come and support Plymouth Argyle and feel proud , there is a huge marketing opportunity for this and I believe one of the ingredients required if my dream of seeing Argyle in the premier league.
What do you think? What are your ideas?
don't be silly there's a clue in the name PLYMOUTH argyle.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Green_Flash":rmhkdtuz said:
No, Plymouth Argyle is a Devon club. Cornish fans are more than welcome, but if they want a club with a Cornish identity they will need to set up their own.

Actually two Cornishmen did just that in 1886. And guess what they called this new club?

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
I thought it was April 1st again but my wife's thoughts are that there's something true about the OP. She says we've had blue and yellow away shirts, why not always incorporate the gold in future? I will stress they're her thoughts not mine.

M

Monkey Nuts

I don't have any problem with having something on the kit that recognised the part that Cornwall plays in the support of Argyle.

Green Flash

Perhaps you should change your name as seemingly your are obsessed with adding part or some of the Cornish identity to Plymouth Argyle ?

Are you a Cornish Councillor standing for re-election or an Independent candidate or a UKIP bod ?

I think the original idea is stupidity in its saddest form and am surprised/saddened that so many people have replied - including me !!

Maybe you should find another vehicle or forum to advertise your wares ?

Keep the Faith :scarf:

I think we should take it further and recognise supporters from Tavistock, Bideford, Ivybridge and all those other places that aren't actually part of Plymouth.

What is it with the Cornish need for constant attention? Worse then the bleddy Irish.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
The Cornish are an integral part of our football club.

I've always believed there should be some recognition of that.

They may have 6 fingers, but they're our supporters.

Jan 6, 2004
TinTin":19scczoi said:
Green Flash

Perhaps you should change your name as seemingly your are obsessed with adding part or some of the Cornish identity to Plymouth Argyle ?

Are you a Cornish Councillor standing for re-election or an Independent candidate or a UKIP bod ?

I think the original idea is stupidity in its saddest form and am surprised/saddened that so many people have replied - including me !!

Maybe you should find another vehicle or forum to advertise your wares ?

Keep the Faith :scarf:

How bizarre. I am opposing the idea...or do you think I am employing some kind of reverse psychology technique?

I tend to agree about the Cornish being somewhat self-obsessed. You basically live in the rural hinterland of a large city - lets leave it at that...

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
A proud Cornishman here but Plymouth is not in Cornwall, it is Plymouth Argyle so why should fans from Bodmin, Liskeard and Launceston be treated any differently than those from Tavistock, Bideford and Ivybridge?
As a Cornishman I actually would not want to see PLYMOUTH Argyle playing in the black and gold, only a Cornish Pirates type club if ever formed. Truro City at their peak got gates of about 600 and most of those would have been Truronians and a few from nearby towns and I don't think they had hardly any impact on attendances at Home Park to be honest. If the franchise type set up ever came into football and there was a regional club for Devon and Cornwall for instance playing at tier 2 or above then it would be a whole different ball game as Plymouth Argyle would no longer exist in it's present format, it would in all probability be a new club with a new name.