The Herald getting worse! | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The Herald getting worse!

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
Emeraldinho":123yw7x5 said:
It's all very well banging on about proof-readers etc, it's the general dumbing down and student rag language and level of reporting that grinds my gears. For example, a recent report about the travellers in Plympton referred to them 'rocking up' to said playing fields. Excuse me, rocking up? And how about the piece on the thoughtless parking of some individual on the Barbican at the weekend which linked to a video clip entitled 'How To Park Like a T**t'? Is that really the best the Herald can do?

I'm afraid I have to agree with you there. Those who aspire to make a career from journalism should be capable of first class communication and proof reading/sense checking their own copy. The newsletters I receive from my Daughters' schools are written to a higher standard. I do understand the need to cut costs, but the quality of some of the reports in the Herald does make me despair--surely some of the senior staff run an eye over the copy before it is released?

Jan 3, 2013
On their website they're banging on about BLACKBURN chasing players from gillingham! I thought that it was the PLYMOUTH Herald

May 8, 2011
Yesterday they ran a story about Songo'o being in court today.
You would have thought they would have had a reporter there to see what happened and report back 'live'. But I haven't read anything yet perhaps as it was in Bodmin it was too far away.

Aug 5, 2016
PL2 3DQ":c0z3phv3 said:
Last week they had a report on a funeral of a local guy who sadly died in a car accident. He was a Liverpool fan, the report said the Anfield anthem "You'll Never Walk Again" was played at the funeral.

I hate to admit I actually laughed out loud at that gaffe!

What annoys me about that HITC website is they make up spurious rumours and litter it with newspaper speak, such as 'sources close to the club told us', and 'we understand' before writing something quite specific about a transfer rumour that was totally invented in their heads. Yet they write as if they are Martin Samuel with a source on every side of a big deal.

The kids at the Herald have adopted this awful writing trait, none more evident than the Rickie Lambert transfer rumour that they picked up from here and ran with. Their imaginations ran a little too wild on that one. The reported as if they had a source on the inside of a deal that wasn't happening.

Jan 3, 2013
pearces greens":2fws2j98 said:
Also at the end of the report on Songo today on page six, that he is due to play for Argyle tonight against Torquay at "Home Park"

Classic! Is that the same reporter who said our first game was against Brizzle Rovers?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
davie nine":mbdbx3x8 said:
PL2 3DQ":mbdbx3x8 said:
It will be interesting to see if there's a Herald presence in Holland to report on the pre-season training. I don't think anyone travelled out to Holland last season.
I thought that Argyle's media reporter, Rob McNicholl, did very well on that tour.

I like Rob's style, he always seems to be less 'club' when talking about PAFC. If he sees a poor move or a less than great performance he tends to call it.

Jan 6, 2017
Plymouth
I have to agree, I find the majority of Herald articles an embarrassment to read, generally riddled with typos, spelling mistakes, poor grammar and incorrect references.

It's clear that a lot of the articles are written by "reporters" who have little or no knowledge of the topic they are reporting on. That said, we live in a world where cost management is high on the agenda and it's much more efficient to employ a 16-year school leaver, with a Grade C in English, than someone with a degree in journalism!

Someone mentioned proof reading? I doubt that's even a role anymore. They just rely on spellchecker!

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
davie nine":1ghroiwd said:
PL2 3DQ":1ghroiwd said:
It will be interesting to see if there's a Herald presence in Holland to report on the pre-season training. I don't think anyone travelled out to Holland last season.
I thought that Argyle's media reporter, Rob McNicholl, did very well on that tour.

It looks like the Herald haven't sent anyone out to Holland again but Rob McNicholl has started his excellent daily diaries again on the club website.

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
phil-thefluter24":2yfw07al said:
Take it proof readers are a thing of the past now? Once again we are brain washed into accepting sloppiness!

Sadly, they met their demise over 20 years ago!

tonsk

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 19, 2003
Plymouth
www.dastardlys.co.uk
Pogleswoody":2hylo7wn said:
Alan Turing":2hylo7wn said:
phil-thefluter24":2hylo7wn said:
Take it proof readers are a thing of the past now? Once again we are brain washed into accepting sloppiness!

Sadly, they met their demise over 20 years ago!

Yes, regretfully proof readers are a thong of the post! :coat:

fyuzvarorqvsmuifvian.jpg

;)
tonsk