The immutable law of the ex (Mellor & Matt) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The immutable law of the ex (Mellor & Matt)

John Cooper

Cream First
Brickfields Donor
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 20, 2011
Peverell
Imagine if Blackman was still at Blackpool? Blackpool LB and RB having their best day of the season, could've been interesting

Mar 6, 2011
London / Plymouth
Was it against Pompey a few seasons back where he was absolutely quality?

Fwiw I liked Mellor - confidence is a funny thing, think there's a player in there.

Best of luck to him, aside from against us. Hope he's shown some respect

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Ross":212ldj2f said:
i'm more concerned about Jamille Matt than Mellor.

Matt has a knee injury and hasn't played for nearly three weeks, he was subbed in the 17th minute in his last game.

Blackpool have a nice long trip to Crystal Palace tomorrow. :)

... this
earl grey":39e9k1rh said:
I liked mellor and thought the stick he got was OTT, I was crying out for him against west brom and Luton, but fully understand his limitations. Hard working chap who got people off their seats (for various reasons). Hope he gets respect but has a non eventful game

... and this
Ross":39e9k1rh said:
i'm more concerned about Jamille Matt than Mellor.

COYG

Sep 23, 2014
plymouth
Would have been a great attacking right midfielder for us this season, we have nothing going down the wings now, defending wasn't his strong point though, good chance we might get a penalty Saturday, would have him back though.

Nov 7, 2012
Plymouth
I always feel the best way to deal with an ex player is ignore. Starve them of oxygen and give them nothing, well maybe until we are winning 3-0 haha

Oct 14, 2015
I can't, unfortunately, make this weeks game at Blackpool but no doubt the GA will be out in force. Whilst Kelvin wasn't the most popular person on these boards last season I do hope that despite this he gets a good welcome from the travelling fans. Personally, I liked the bloke, his surging runs down the wing and the anxiety amongst us fans wondering what he'll do next. Okay so his decision making wasn't as good but alway gave 100% and that's what we ask off our players. Similarly with Matt, not sure if he'll be playing as got injured very early on in the season.So two players who played their part in us reaching Wembley....but decided to move on. Neither did anything sinister to warrant a bad reception ....

Aug 2, 2016
Totally agree. I don't think that you should target ex-players unless they have done something to deserve it. These 2 clearly have not. Whilst Matt expressed a desire to stay at HP, he had a better offer closer to home. How can you blame him for taking it? I will be there and I will be applauding them and I hope the GA demonstrate their class and do likewise. Can't say I'd feel the same about Carl McHugh.

Apr 15, 2016
Fairly sure Matt is injured, and I too hope the travelling GA give Mellor some light applause. I've spoken to a Blackpool fan on another forum and he had this message for me:

'Cheers for Mellor, I've only seen him play once so far but that was enough to know that he's complete and utter garbage'

:wave: :clap: :funny:

H

Helston_Green

mervyn":q22ytw1g said:
This phrase was coined by the late Brian Glanville, imo the best football journalist ever, and describes his opinion that ex players on their first return against their old side tend to produce an outstanding performance for all the obvious psychological reasons.

Saturday's game with Mellor on the other side will be interesting. I'm pleased he went for all the reasons previously discussed on here, but I have to admit his 'bambi on ice' incursions into the other side's half created an occasional panic, though I'm sure Sawyer will cope. What do you think?

Brian Glanville is still alive and a regular columnist in World Soccer Magazine.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Blackpool reckon they might have a clean bill of health by the end of the month, so Jamille Matt is presumably in contention to face us, however, at the tail end of preseason and first league game Matt wasn't starting and he only started the League Cup game because of other injuries to strikers.

Feb 5, 2015
Argy1e":2aq0z3yj said:
Blackpool reckon they might have a clean bill of health by the end of the month, so Jamille Matt is presumably in contention to face us, however, at the tail end of preseason and first league game Matt wasn't starting and he only started the League Cup game because of other injuries to strikers.

That's because he's not actually that good. I said it when we had him, and I'll say it again now - He was the right player at the right time but I wouldn't want him here permanently.

A look at his prior goal scoring records tells you he is, at best, a 1 in 4 striker. He fitted our system last year, and to give him credit, gave his all for us while he was here.

He is, however, a very average player, and that's why he can't get a game for them.

(It'll be just my luck now that he has a blinder and scores a hat-trick against us).

Aug 5, 2016
PAFC is for life":1ngscv75 said:
Sawyer has been turned inside out this season and has been caught out of position way too often, so Mellor may well have a field day. But I hope not

If Mellor is intent on being anywhere near Sawyer, I suggest it will be our left winger who could have a "field day" on the counter attack. Especially if that man is the in-form Graham Carey.