The immutable law of the ex (Mellor & Matt) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The immutable law of the ex (Mellor & Matt)

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
GreenLDN":2vz5ybzc said:
Argy1e":2vz5ybzc said:
Blackpool reckon they might have a clean bill of health by the end of the month, so Jamille Matt is presumably in contention to face us, however, at the tail end of preseason and first league game Matt wasn't starting and he only started the League Cup game because of other injuries to strikers.

That's because he's not actually that good. I said it when we had him, and I'll say it again now - He was the right player at the right time but I wouldn't want him here permanently.

A look at his prior goal scoring records tells you he is, at best, a 1 in 4 striker. He fitted our system last year, and to give him credit, gave his all for us while he was here.

He is, however, a very average player, and that's why he can't get a game for them.

(It'll be just my luck now that he has a blinder and scores a hat-trick against us).

46 goals in 148 games, according to Wikipedia. Lots of those goals were in the Conference but that's being quite young (was 25 in December), missing an entire season in 2014/15 and an ensuing stop-start career since.

Some players just 'fit' and thrive at a certain club, and in my eyes Matt was one of those players. We really shouldn't have let him fall through our fingers, in my opinion.

Helston_Green":3ujxm3yl said:
mervyn":3ujxm3yl said:
This phrase was coined by the late Brian Glanville, imo the best football journalist ever, and describes his opinion that ex players on their first return against their old side tend to produce an outstanding performance for all the obvious psychological reasons.

Saturday's game with Mellor on the other side will be interesting. I'm pleased he went for all the reasons previously discussed on here, but I have to admit his 'bambi on ice' incursions into the other side's half created an occasional panic, though I'm sure Sawyer will cope. What do you think?

Brian Glanville is still alive and a regular columnist in World Soccer Magazine.

Thank you HG. I suspect I've reached the age where I assume that anyone ten years older than me must be dead.

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
PL2 3DQ":1tj3148z said:
Ross":1tj3148z said:
i'm more concerned about Jamille Matt than Mellor.

Matt has a knee injury and hasn't played for nearly three weeks, he was subbed in the 17th minute in his last game.

Blackpool have a nice long trip to Crystal Palace tomorrow. :)
Let's hope that knee is still too dodgy for one last weekend.
I think he could do some damage sadly.