The pitch is probably too good for us | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The pitch is probably too good for us

Jul 30, 2013
The Wicked Westcountry
I'm going to take the positives, in that Luke Young is going to be back in the squad. Wouldn't mind a 4231 with him and Blizzard and Hourihane CAM. Drop Wotton, failing to see what he really offers... Don't buy the leadership issue, especially seeing as he's actually incapable footballing wise and only ever seems to shout at other people and blame them, I could see why not all get on with him.

I think he'd be an interesting manager actually (realise I'm rambling now), probably some awful football but at least you'd know there'd be passion and a terrifying HT team talk if it wasn't going your way.

Don't think those comments about the pitch are that bad to be honest, he did what most of us did and kept the same team but realised that really he needed Young in there, but just didn't have him to call on.. That's his own fault though I know.

Young is easily the best passer we have and have had in a while, I have no doubts he's probably as good as any passer in this league. Will be good to have him back in I think.

Mar 14, 2009
Wow, he makes the other teams that we play against sound like they are well drilled passing teams.

Yet, some of them are the same hoof ball merchants like us. The difference is they can pass the ball to a player 5 - 10 yards away 8 out of 10 times where we do this, 4/5 times out of 10.

Its truly pathetic. Its us that has the advantage. We get to play on that pitch 23 league games a season. No bobbles or divots to blame for shooting or bad crosses.

Its just bad coaching if you cant get you players to pass and cross with a decent amount of accuracy. So is he now saying Luke Young is the one person in the whole squad who can pass with any amount consistency? If that is true, then it is a truly shocking statement about the rest of the team and what he thinks of them.

Time to take responsibility Mr Sheridan for your mistakes and if the coaches cant teach the players to pass, cross and shoot to league two level, then bring in someone who can!

Just to add, two years ago Luke Young was a very decent wide right midfield player. Since the Carl Fletcher "move him inside" he hasn't been as good. He is a good crosser of the ball and Argyle don't have a decent RM at present. Move him back and then maybe Morgan, for example, might get some decent supply, instead of having to work off punts up field and take 2/3 defenders on and then be barracked by Argyle players for being poor, even though that isn't his game.

TCL

Jan 25, 2012
Agree with the concensus that in the summer Argyle should bring in players that can pass & receive a ball, and ship out the players who are just hoofball type players.

P

PASTIE

Agree with putting Young wide right. Never as effective in the middle. Lacks the strength and disappears too much.

Mar 21, 2008
I remember well our horrendous pitch during Sturrocks 2nd stint when he just about kept us in the championship thanks to Mr.Gallagher, teams were going away complaining like hell that they couldn't play their football here... if we'd had a pitch like this during that season we'd have got annihalated by visiting teams.

At the time we complained about constant hoofball to Fallon but that kept us in the league and gave us an advantage on our pitch (probably), what stands out for me when I watch our team recently compared to opposition teams especially Oxford and Exeter as examples is that their players seem to want the ball and are able to accept it under pressure and move it on, whereas when a ball is played to our players under pressure we just panic and crumble giving the ball away.

It's really hard to gauge whether that it is a lack of skill (ie. an ability to bring the ball under control and have the awareness to find a team mate), or a lack of practice in training. It should be said though that it is something they do as a drill in the warmup, so it could also be factor number 3, a lack of confidence.

B

Big Ears

I asked on a separate thread what his excuse would be this time but, oh dear me Mr Manager, have you forgotten that half our games are played away from home?
So what will be the excuse next week?
" the lads couldn't pull their socks up as the kit man shrunk them in the wash"
The players must know by now that there's no consequence if they don't do as they're told OR could it be that they are following the Managers instructions?
This man needs to go although I don't believe he will as Mr Brent would have to pay his compensation.
At the moment he doesn't need to as we are still getting the same amount of people through the gates, so from a business point of view, it's a steady ship.
Another season of very poor football to come I feel.

L

lambanog

UncleBuck":3luemuh7 said:
Graham Evans":3luemuh7 said:
Absolutley pathetic . Don't blame the pitch , blame the crap manager and the garbage he has signed.

I agree that he's signed a load of inferior garbage but it is true that the billiard table pitch of ours is an own-goal on our part and costing us points.

Teams that are drilled to play football on the deck must think they've died and gone to Wembley when they come down here. It's like a chance for them to experience a once in a lifetime dream match on a perfect pitch. They relish the opportunity to express themselves and let rip with flair and panache.

Whereas Argyle on the other hand launch hoofballs into the stratosphere.

Absolutely infuriating.

Totally agree, a superb pitch that visiting teams who are used to a lot worse can bring the best out of themselves. It's called raising your game, our visitors seem to be able to do it on this pitch , but us ??

Nov 26, 2010
Swindon
lambanog":m44woeji said:
UncleBuck":m44woeji said:
Graham Evans":m44woeji said:
Absolutley pathetic . Don't blame the pitch , blame the crap manager and the garbage he has signed.

I agree that he's signed a load of inferior garbage but it is true that the billiard table pitch of ours is an own-goal on our part and costing us points.

Teams that are drilled to play football on the deck must think they've died and gone to Wembley when they come down here. It's like a chance for them to experience a once in a lifetime dream match on a perfect pitch. They relish the opportunity to express themselves and let rip with flair and panache.

Whereas Argyle on the other hand launch hoofballs into the stratosphere.

Absolutely infuriating.

Totally agree, a superb pitch that visiting teams who are used to a lot worse can bring the best out of themselves. It's called raising your game, our visitors seem to be able to do it on this pitch , but us ??

Raising our game . . . isn't that why we have a performance manager? Just what does a performance manager deliver as it is obviously not working.

Sep 25, 2003
Carbis Bay
Lundan Cabbie":2u7ec77b said:
It would be such a shame to dig that up although if Argyle get to the Premier League it would have to be replaced in the second year. From next year under soil heating is to be mandatory in the Prem from a club's second season in the top flight.

We'd probably have to move to a new, bigger ground anyway (nice position to be in though).

Jul 7, 2006
The following are direct quotes from the officail Argyle site.

Sheridan states:

“We’re at home, on the best pitch in the league, and we can’t put two passes together,” he said.

“The pitch is like Wembley. So why do we struggle with the ball?”
Read more at http://www.pafc.co.uk/news/article/pitc ... 9cbhUCg.99

So lets recap - hmm - in the recent past the Manager(loose term) has stated that their have been leadership problems on the pitch and now these lowly paid young professional sportsmen(oh gosh I only get £75,000 a year) can't pass the ball.

So it is all the players fault and now the pitch is to blame. Does Sheridan not accept that he is the gaffer and the buck stops with him. If he and his staff are not responsible for motivation, improving skills and teamwork then who the hell is I would like to know.

The abject failures in front of 2 of the seasons biggest crowds is not going to encourage people to renew their tickets. Quite the opposite.

Come on Sheridan TAKE SOME RESPONSIBLITY FOR GOODNESS SAKE.
Better still do the decent thing and leave.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
narrowboat":3bb9t227 said:

Sheridan states:

“We’re at home, on the best pitch in the league, and we can’t put two passes together,” he said.

So lets recap - hmm - in the recent past the Manager(loose term) has stated that their have been leadership problems on the pitch and now these lowly paid young professional sportsmen(oh gosh I only get £75,000 a year) can't pass the ball.

So it is all the players fault and now the pitch is to blame. Does Sheridan not accept that he is the gaffer and the buck stops with him. If he and his staff are not responsible for motivation, improving skills and teamwork then who the hell is I would like to know.
The abject failures in front of 2 of the seasons biggest crowds is not going to encourage people to renew their tickets. Quite the opposite.

I`ve bought mine!!!!! :scarf: :scarf:

Jul 7, 2006
justanotherfan":3jb8ixgs said:
narrowboat":3jb8ixgs said:

Sheridan states:

I`ve bought mine!!!!! :scarf: :scarf:

Yes so have I but the real point isn't about us regulars but the potential thousands who have seen recent games who aren't going to lay out their hard earned money to watch a team that doesn't seem to have any heart.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
I follow your drift narrowboat (no pun intended), but after 50+ years remain sceptical about returning fans from the once a season wonders no matter what.

Oct 23, 2013
Block 12
We should be using the pitch to our advantage as it is proberly the best pitch in the league and we are the only team which plays more than 1 league game a season on it . But we don't use the pitch to our advantage because we don't have the players to do so. We need to sign a couple of midfielders in the summer and stop Blanchard from distrabuting the ball

Aug 15, 2008
It's the best pitch outside the premier league and Championship.

Mind you it cost us a Fortune.....