This season (enjoyment?) | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

This season (enjoyment?)

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
We have been grinding out results all season nothing spectacular this is what is needed at this level and we have had our share of luck, the aim was to get promotion we are on track to achieve that we just have to keep grinding out results.

Nov 16, 2006
This is an odd one really - we're actually the sixth top scorers in the league so, in comparison with others teams in our division, we can't be without entertainment value.

I think that a lot of the 'lack of enjoyment' still stems from last season's blow-up, which has stopped a lot of people feeling able to just enjoy the ride and thinking that as we've been in the top three for the majority of the season, there's no reason to think that we won't be there come May.

There must be some sub-conscious as to why a team that has won 60% of its games, scored a perfectly decent amount of goals whilst keeping it fairly tight at the other end, comes across as 'not enjoyable' to watch.

Mar 14, 2009
ChepstowGreen":1xzy98ej said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":1xzy98ej said:
You only have to see the reaction on here between a win and a defeat. In numerous games this season we have performed poorly yet lost, and dug out a victory. Yet the difference in reaction by the fans for both type of games highlights the fact it's all about winning. I mean literally, all about winning and l guess that's the sad fact of modern society.

For most fans it has always been just about winning, I don't there's anything new about that?

When Arsenal were winning titles under George Graham they would glory in the 'One Nil to the Arse-e-nal' chant.

Sure they might prefer Wenger's style of football but many at the Emirates would I'm sure take Graham's brand of play if it meant they won the league again, and in a heartbeat too.

Look at the long ball systems which dominated with (relative success) through the 1980s as well. Ugly but effective.

Personally I am somewhat in the middle. Generally speaking, I'd rather we played some beautiful football even if not necessarily as effective (Shilton's team in 1994 is still my favourite ever).

However this season it is and has always been about results and getting out of this division, and Adams has provided us with a great opportunity to do just that. I think this is why the constant griping at performances by some, has proved a bit irritating to others who value promotion and results absolutely the most important thing.

Playing defensive/negative football & losing - unacceptable
Playing defensive/negative football & winning - acceptable
Playing great football & winning - desirable
Playing any type of football, grinding results out, and getting out of Division Four this season - An absolute must

Sky believe football began in 1992. Leicester City a new name on the premier league trophy. It's still the old division one, with just a few less teams. It almost like they try and make it an insignificance because somehow the football is better since 1992. Well it isn't.

All that's happened is we have foreign investors who think they know about football but clearly don't. We have the foreign players who aren't quite the best in the world. They are mostly in Spain. We have wages that rising beyond belief that soon it will be normal to pay someone 500,000 a week for playing football. We have english players you can't buy because their inflated prices are ridiculous. You foreign coaches who don't have the time to develop English talent because they have to achieve results, or they will get the sack, unless your a Mourinho or Guardiola. You go into stadia in the premier league and your paying over inflated prices just to watch a football match. A day at the football doesn't cost you £20. As Argyle fans we talk about the promise land and the need to get out of league two. Yet where we are heading for isn't that glamorous for a fan when you will end up paying 3 or 4 times what you do now for football. Only the other day it was reported Sheffield Wednesday were charging £47 a ticket for the Newcastle game. Yes it was Newcastle, but if Argyle ever did well in that league because of our away following we would get caterogrised in the same manner.

Unfortunately, some of the stupid things that have happened in the premier league have trickled down the pyramid ladder.

League two football should be all about youngsters coming through. Yet just like the premier league mangers feel they don't have the luxury of time to embed the youth players into the first team playing squad. So you see a lot of journeyman go from club to club. Only the smaller clubs like your Morecambe's or the clubs in financial ruin like Leyton Orient do you see youth given a chance from their own youth development programme because they have no other alternative. Sure you have youth players from the premier league and championships clubs joining league two teams. However, that's not your own talent your developing. Also you often find they will be shipped back to the club we borrowed them from and more often than not never look to get a chance in their first team. Tanner is a prime example of this.

Foreign owners who are destroying the fabric of some football clubs. The managers being sacked left, right and centre. The should be quite a number of managers who have had a few years in the job in the low leagues so they can learn their trade. Some are lucky to last six months. Adams should get 2 to 3 years l believe. Sheridan had two years but had ran out of ideas and didn't really want to be here. However, with Adams he has more going for himself. Even if weren't to go up this year he deserves another year because he still has a lot to offer Argyle. Yet if we weren't promoted you hear people say he needs to be sacked. Somehow, the impatience of being a plastic premier league fan has tricked all the way down to league two.

It's seems that in football, like in life now, everything has to be achieved now. The days are building something seem to be over. If this isn't true why do you often see teams get promoted and instead of giving a manager time to adapt they end up sacking him after 6 months in the new league.

Football use to be more than just about result. There was enjoyment to be had despite the result. Now because of what it costs people to watch and the way society has changed in how it interacts the stakes are much, much higher. Instead of a manager putting out a team to entertain and get a result the entertainment goes out the window as he knows the only thing that will keep him in a job is results.

You might say it always been about results. Well there were clubs like Crewe who played with a certain passing style, win, lose or draw. Now even those clubs are disappearing because they need to get out of league two.

Somewhere, football has lost its way.....its identity and more importantly the enjoyment from the grass roots.

Oct 21, 2015
I agree this season is a mixed bag of emotions on a roller coaster going up or down every week...and I don't like rollercoasters!.
Personally I 100% put this down to the bitter disappointment last year, not only witnessing the capitulation into the play offs but also all the pre Wembley build up and excited anticipation ruined by that gutless no show by those players in green. Travelling back for hours after the game feeling like we have been kicked in the stomach and sharing a train with fellow greens who had nothing to say other than feeling totally let down was a miserable experience and not easily to forget. So, unfairly perhaps, that hangover of resentment meant that there was little room for debate entering the new season....Argyle owe us big time and nothing less than promotion will do. Unlike perhaps previous promotion years there is those mixed emotions of wanting to enjoy the moment but lurking in the background is the fear of "blowing up" at any time. If we were a mid table side last year with no expectations and found ourselves in the top three all season this year I am sure Home Park would be rocking with support. So Adams and almost a completely new set of players have had to convince us that this time they are the real deal and the Home Park Judge and Jury will not relax until we are CERTAIN that we are going up. With only eight games left and with such a massive points advantage perhaps we should start giving the team a bit more slack and start to enjoy the ride a bit more.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Well I’ve really enjoyed this season – and looking forward to a great finale to it. We (me and my lad) have been lucky in the games we’ve been to as we haven’t seen a single defeat (well apart from an honourable one against Liverpool) and although the football hasn’t always been exhilarating I haven’t once come away wishing we hadn’t gone – and there have been more than a few times I’ve absolutely loved it. Exeter, Carlisle, Stevenage, Pompey, Yeovil – even surrendering a 3-1 lead against Wycombe were all games we came away from absolutely buzzing about. Chuck in a wonderful trip to Anfield that will forever be etched in the memory and a hugely enjoyable return leg and (touch wood) a promotion to come & I’d say this ranks as one of my favourite ever Argyle seasons.

For those that are moaning I do wonder quite what they’re hoping for – I long ago came to terms with the fact that although I may fantasise about us one day reaching the Premiership and doing a Leicester (or even just reaching the upper echelons of the Championship again) – it will probably never happen and even if it did then in all likelihood it will turn out to be a big let-down for some of the reasons MGM gives. The journey will probably be more enjoyable than the destination – so if you’re not enjoying the ride now, perhaps it’s time to think about why you’re aboard at all ?

Jan 6, 2004
Ave_IT":36dswlp7 said:
Well I’ve really enjoyed this season – and looking forward to a great finale to it. We (me and my lad) have been lucky in the games we’ve been to as we haven’t seen a single defeat (well apart from an honourable one against Liverpool) and although the football hasn’t always been exhilarating I haven’t once come away wishing we hadn’t gone – and there have been more than a few times I’ve absolutely loved it. Exeter, Carlisle, Stevenage, Pompey, Yeovil – even surrendering a 3-1 lead against Wycombe were all games we came away from absolutely buzzing about. Chuck in a wonderful trip to Anfield that will forever be etched in the memory and a hugely enjoyable return leg and (touch wood) a promotion to come & I’d say this ranks as one of my favourite ever Argyle seasons.

For those that are moaning I do wonder quite what they’re hoping for – I long ago came to terms with the fact that although I may fantasise about us one day reaching the Premiership and doing a Leicester (or even just reaching the upper echelons of the Championship again) – it will probably never happen and even if it did then in all likelihood it will turn out to be a big let-down for some of the reasons MGM gives. The journey will probably be more enjoyable than the destination – so if you’re not enjoying the ride now, perhaps it’s time to think about why you’re aboard at all ?

This is a fair point, presumably Argyle fans are Argyle fans because they enjoy watching lower league football - if not, really, you should invest in a sky subscription instead.

Jul 18, 2011
The Warnock team was well drilled and effective but it was not great football. The same goes for Sturrock. The last exhilarating team I saw was the Tony Waiters one in 74-5 when Mariner and Rafferty were on fire and each netted more than 20 goals.

Aug 3, 2008
Plymouth
Abbotts Ann Green":e9z0qtp7 said:
The Warnock team was well drilled and effective but it was not great football. The same goes for Sturrock. The last exhilarating team I saw was the Tony Waiters one in 74-5 when Mariner and Rafferty were on fire and each netted more than 20 goals.

But that was in the old 3rd division not against teams of sloggers and hoofers.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
pilgrimage":egv9wnhg said:
Abbotts Ann Green":egv9wnhg said:

There were sloggers and hoofers back then, believe me, in the 3rd Division. There were no overseas players in huge numbers taking team places in Division One and Two as there are now. The standard in the current SKY One league is better because the British produced players, on average, do not get the same number of opportunities to play in the First and Second tiers of English football, and they find a niche for themselves in a lower league.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
pilgrimage":wrty381d said:
Abbotts Ann Green":wrty381d said:

I would have thought there were plenty of teams of sloggers and hoofers in the old first division in the 70s, let alone the third!

C

Cult Of Personality

Knarf Reprah":1n37s9hj said:
I watch The Arsenal to be entertained, I watch Argo to see them win.......end of

I watch Arsenal to be enteratined... on european nights and against West Brom.

I dont watch Argyle just to see a team win . I want to see my team win well and play football the way it should be played

Mar 18, 2014
The manager has to pick the style and tactics that he believes in, and suits his players. I loved Shilton's team, but all we got was a relegation!! I watch Barca on TV, and it's like , wow!! But I don't then expect Argyle to be doing the same, or compare our number 10 to theirs.

Oct 16, 2016
It isn't JUST entertainment, often it's the frustration of what's happening in front of your eyes that you can see but Adams can't

But that's the life of a fan/ supporter

Mar 8, 2016
On the whole it's been enjoyable I think, we've played some excellent football at times, yes some matches have been frustrating as shankster mentions above but I think this is mainly because we know how the team are capable of playing, this is league two football remember, it's not always going to be pretty, do people not remember how we won this league back in 2002?