Torquay v Argyle match thread, (commentary confirmed) | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Torquay v Argyle match thread, (commentary confirmed)

C

Cobi Budge.

PRESTO":3vqpy04e said:
"Things in the stand could turn pretty nasty quickly"

What are you on? This is not a war zone its a bl--dy football league for heavens sake.

Clearly you don't remember games leading up to Fletcher's departure.

I remember Argyle 0 Wycombe 1, the most hostile I've ever see home park toward club and manager.

C

Cobi Budge.

X Isle":cxuw3m1x said:
Cobi Budge.":cxuw3m1x said:
I have to say I'm a tad concerned we have only scored 2 goals in 2 games against lower league opposition.

I know it's good we are creating them, but we are missing a ridiculous amount of simple chances.

You never seem content unless there's something to worry about. Instead of politics might I suggest tabloid journalism?

Heaven knows how you'll react WHEN we lose to Swansea, my money is on an early appearance of the word 'crisis' :roll:

We're unbeaten, no-one's been crocked, we're getting fitter and if we're missing the icing on the cake then the icing is at least in the bag and cake itself seems sound.

.....is another more rational and pragmatic perspective.

I have no intention of entering Politics so I don't know where that came from :crazy:

I was simply pointing out the amount of sitters we are missing is concerning.

Doesn't mean I'm in any way negative about our prospects for the season.

S

Sporting Lipson

Pre season is often played at 75% it's about game time and seeing the shape of the team. Don't over read things.
As for marvellous Marvin I was told by a former player when I asked about him. " you make your own mind" and he couldn't stop :funny:

Jun 23, 2011
Plymouth
I couldnt care less about these games. Fitness training, nothing more. Lets get some competative games played before we start whining.

Jan 4, 2012
PL2 3DQ":304luqgy said:
A good work out that lacked excitement and clear cut chances. We shaded the first half but Torquay were the better team in the second.

The wholesale changes during the second half didn't help the game with only three players completing the 90 minutes.

Our strongest team played the first half and dominated possession. Our second half were not so good and it's a concern that we lack strength in depth, hopefully one or two youngsters will come through. Bentley is a big lad.

Of the new players Hartley and Norburn impressed me the most. Hartley is a leader and attacks the ball.
The two full backs rarely went forward even for corners despite Mellor being 6 foot 2 inches tall.

The main aim is to get fit, play shape and form partnerships so mission accomplished. We look to have a very good first 11 with Thomas maybe replacing Smalley.

:thumbs: Pretty much agree with the accurate post above. I was standing on the Popside(Thatchers Stand) in line with the 18yd line when Marvin lifted his shot over the bar. Why he did the difficult when a simple roll under the 'keeper was on baffled me.

I didn't hear the total attendance but it looked like a good 600/700 Argyle fans in the stands and on the terrace. :clap:

Apr 30, 2011
Bermudian Green":1rp8jew4 said:
X Isle":1rp8jew4 said:
Cobi Budge.":1rp8jew4 said:
I have to say I'm a tad concerned we have only scored 2 goals in 2 games against lower league opposition.

I know it's good we are creating them, but we are missing a ridiculous amount of simple chances.

You never seem content unless there's something to worry about. Instead of politics might I suggest tabloid journalism?

Heaven knows how you'll react WHEN we lose to Swansea, my money is on an early appearance of the word 'crisis' :roll:

We're unbeaten, no-one's been crocked, we're getting fitter and if we're missing the icing on the cake then the icing is at least in the bag and cake itself seems sound.

.....is another more rational and pragmatic perspective.

Young Cobi does put me in mind of a young Lance-Corporal Jones.

Pasoti gold!

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
I think what's really worrying here is the amount of one-upmanship within PASOTI

As long as you realise there are older wiser people than you there is no problem :lol:

Jun 11, 2012
Norburn again looked the part.

As did Allen in the last 15/20. He without a doubt looks a better option than Tyler, who I'm still completely unconvinced by.

Decent workout without any major injury concerns. On to the next one...

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
I'd agree with the post about Harvey and indeed Thomas. Both looked lightweight, both gave away too much possession and neither looked particularly effective.

Sorry Postey I have to disagree. I thought Smalley did OK. Good in the air and linked well with Reid which was more than can be said for Banton. Banton looked good on the ball but was too keen to shoot rather than pass to a better placed colleague - we should have had 2 or 3 if Banton had been playing for Argyle rather than Banton FC. If he plays he needs to play in the middle not wide on the left or right where he never gets to the by-line to make a dangerous cross.

First half was good. Second was poor. God help us if we lose Cox to injury.

Aug 28, 2012
PL2 3DQ":zewvu1zo said:
A good work out that lacked excitement and clear cut chances. We shaded the first half but Torquay were the better team in the second.

The wholesale changes during the second half didn't help the game with only three players completing the 90 minutes.

Our strongest team played the first half and dominated possession. Our second half were not so good and it's a concern that we lack strength in depth, hopefully one or two youngsters will come through. Bentley is a big lad.

Of the new players Hartley and Norburn impressed me the most. Hartley is a leader and attacks the ball.
The two full backs rarely went forward even for corners despite Mellor being 6 foot 2 inches tall.

The main aim is to get fit, play shape and form partnerships so mission accomplished. We look to have a very good first 11 with Thomas maybe replacing Smalley.

That's pretty much how I saw the game with one exception to your earlier post - have to disagree that Cox dominated Young - Cox was solid as always but lacks any creativity, thought Young was excellent and his dead ball delivery was a cut above anything that Argyle came up with. Also thought Thomas was very petulant looking to blame everybody else for mistakes rather than looking closer to home.

Good workout for both sides nonetheless.

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
Smalley looked alright but again he's a player that doesn't look to beat his man. Everytime he got the ball he'd look to go back to Mellor. First half we passed it around well keeping possession without any real end product. Morgans laughable, as is Harvey in CM. Bentley looks good at RB, big powerful lad. Nelson and Hartley look solid, McHugh reassuring. Banton does look very sharp and this could be his year to push on. I think we need 2/3 experienced versatile players however because I don't have much faith in the younger lads.

Nov 4, 2012
Pretty dull game, Banton and Morgan missed sitters, Argyle were the better team first half keeping good possesion, Torquay were better second half, Banton looks sharp, defense looked very solid, fair result and decent workout.

Dull game that always looked like it was going to be 0-0. Better in the first half but we didn't turn possession into clear-cut chances. Banton was tricky and showed an improved work rate but ran dead alleys and overplayed it too often. Norburn is a flashy player with a lot of pizazz but disappointed tonight for me, gave the ball away a lot. Hartley, Nelson and Cox were all good. Mellor and McHugh as full-backs didn't go forward enough, I'd prefer to see Purrington and Mellor.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
And there you have it.

A 0 - 0 draw against Torquay in pre-season and already there are 20 different views of the game!

:crazy: