Torquay v Argyle match thread, (commentary confirmed) | Page 9 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Torquay v Argyle match thread, (commentary confirmed)

An analogy if I may. I ran a marathon last year, and stuck to a rigid 4 month training schedule. However, I couldn't see how running super slow 4 times a week with a few sprints chucked in, plus a weekly long yet "easy" run every Sunday, would help me beat my personal best.

However, I stuck to the plan, I saw the training through, and come race day, I nailed it. Boy, did I nail it.

That's all pre-season games are. Conditioning for the big race, the season proper. I never look back at a training run I did in mid September and castigate myself for not running my fastest ever in that run. Why? Because it would have meant jack.

In the same way, pre-season friendlies are simply conditioning, getting up to speed, learning tactics, regaining fitness, getting the mindset where it should be. Results (in terms of the scoreline) are completely and utterly irrelevant. The real results are those which you won't see until the real action starts.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Cobi Budge.":1lmbwus4 said:
X Isle":1lmbwus4 said:
Cobi Budge.":1lmbwus4 said:
I have to say I'm a tad concerned we have only scored 2 goals in 2 games against lower league opposition.

I know it's good we are creating them, but we are missing a ridiculous amount of simple chances.

You never seem content unless there's something to worry about. Instead of politics might I suggest tabloid journalism?

Heaven knows how you'll react WHEN we lose to Swansea, my money is on an early appearance of the word 'crisis' :roll:

We're unbeaten, no-one's been crocked, we're getting fitter and if we're missing the icing on the cake then the icing is at least in the bag and cake itself seems sound.

.....is another more rational and pragmatic perspective.

I have no intention of entering Politics so I don't know where that came from :crazy:

I was simply pointing out the amount of sitters we are missing is concerning.

Doesn't mean I'm in any way negative about our prospects for the season.

Says the leader of the Young Torys.

Feb 9, 2011
PL2 3DQ":tulhxxh3 said:
A decent 45 minutes of football. We had a lot of possession, especially around the edge of the area but couldn't get many shots away, when we did they went wide or over.

Banton was our best player and looks to be back to his best, he and Smalley (who struggled) regularly swapped wings.

Hartley is not the tallest centre back but is a ball winner and is good with his feet.
I was impressed with Norburn, nice easy passes long or short.
Luke Young was dominated by Cox and Norburn and was largely anonymous until a late shot was saved by the other Luke.
Our full backs rarely ventured forward.
Torquay had a few chances mainly from long range.
In summary we need to turn good possession into chances and goals.

Really !!!! seen some green tinted posts in my time but this tops it :facepalm: :facepalm:

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
grumps":2f8pzfiw said:
PL2 3DQ":2f8pzfiw said:
A decent 45 minutes of football. We had a lot of possession, especially around the edge of the area but couldn't get many shots away, when we did they went wide or over.

Banton was our best player and looks to be back to his best, he and Smalley (who struggled) regularly swapped wings.

Hartley is not the tallest centre back but is a ball winner and is good with his feet.
Luke Young was dominated by Cox and Norburn and was largely anonymous until a late shot was saved by the other Luke.

Really !!!! seen some green tinted posts in my time but this tops it :facepalm: :facepalm:

I agree with Postey for the first 45 minutes Young was out of the game until he managed to have a shot late on. In the second-half against Harvey he was much more involved. A couple of solid tackles left Reid and Harvey in heaps at various times.

Sep 8, 2013
For me Hartley stood out. He and Nelson in CD look a good unit. Norburn was decent too with some good distribution. But, although we had a lot of possession, there was no real outcome. No incisive passes to set up clear-cut chances. Everything a bit of a muchness and easy to defend against. Yes, Banton did have a lot of the ball, but it's no good having a mazy dribble ending up nowhere. Lots of shots but none remotely near the target. Did the Torquay keeper make a save? Disappointed in Tomas. Agree that he looked petulant when everything did not go his way. Towards end of second half we seemed to resort to long high punts upfield (which, arguably, might have led to something, but also indicated that we had become short of ideas. Finally, I thought Torquay's energy levels were higher than ours. OK, it's only a pre-season friendly and fitness levels are being worked on, but creating and taking chances also need working on.

Penlee

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
Thomas has put on some timber (may be it is muscle) but he is a much bigger unit than last season. Norburn very good (did I see his Mrs in the stand?. Boco was there second half too apologies if already mentioned somewhere) and Hartley yapped all game especially to the lino. In a good way that is, really good to see compared to the mute defence of last season. Smalley impressed me first half and Cox did his usual, effective, Deschamps role in the midfield.

Special mention for Torquay centre back Aaaron downes who should have ben sent off (or withdrawn) for an off the ball stamp on Morgan which the linesman saw and resulted in a free kick on the edge of their box (blazed over byTthomas). A vendetta he continued for the rest of the game as MM constantly had the beating of him. Pity MM couldn't finish his one on one miss was horrendous

Thats said, this reminded me why I hate pre-season friendlies as they are pretty meaningless (certainly result wise)

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
grumps":3ik9gg5c said:
PL2 3DQ":3ik9gg5c said:

Ha! Your first post in three months and that's the best you can come up with. :)

tonycholwell

R.I.P
Jun 9, 2006
Somerset
PL2 3DQ":2208i66j said:
A good work out that lacked excitement and clear cut chances. We shaded the first half but Torquay were the better team in the second.

The wholesale changes during the second half didn't help the game with only three players completing the 90 minutes.

Our strongest team played the first half and dominated possession. Our second half were not so good and it's a concern that we lack strength in depth, hopefully one or two youngsters will come through. Bentley is a big lad.

Of the new players Hartley and Norburn impressed me the most. Hartley is a leader and attacks the ball.
The two full backs rarely went forward even for corners despite Mellor being 6 foot 2 inches tall.

The main aim is to get fit, play shape and form partnerships so mission accomplished. We look to have a very good first 11 with Thomas maybe replacing Smalley.

I think this a fair summary Posty.

Having watched the last 2 games it has been interesting watching the different combinations and formations that JS has tried.

I think it clear that he has more than a better idea who his best XI are and probably, his best 16.

In terms of formations, although they have invariably been described at 4 4 2 he has tweaked that and tried different things. The second half against Weymouth was a case in point, the OS say 4 4 2 but it was clear with a front 3 of Banton, Reid and Thomas he was trying something new. Similarly, in the first half of that game he tried , a diamond with Woots holding and Harvey at the top.

Last night was a more traditional 4 4 2 with Cox the holding player and Norburn the creator. The next 2 games will be interesting if any of these formations are continued with or some dumped. But credit for at least trying.

Nelson and Hartley look a good combination, Mellor looks at home and McHugh looked comfortable at left back. When he came on, so did Purrington, albeit, a bit rusty, but he does offer an overlap and an increasingly assured defender.

Last night River Allen gave an interesting cameo of what he offers. Frequently doing the unexpected to create space, regularly playing searching balls for people to run on to, rather than go backwards but sometimes prone to poor decision making.

It was also clear in the 2 games I have seen some players are saving a bit for League matches and did not commit wholeheartedly to tackles.

No goals last night, but Reid looks fit and raring to go as did Alessandra although some of the combinations are still a work in progress. It was good to see, well first half, the ball from keeper to defenders and moving forward by successive, quick passes. Easy on the eye and effective.

Pleasant evening out with some good company and catching up with old friends.

Dec 3, 2005
May have been asked in the previous 11 pages.

Torquay at HOME playing in all white and Argyle playing in yellow (yes I know its the away strip) but why did Torquay not play in their home strip and Argyle play in Green?

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
Penlee":1yfj9t5d said:
Thomas has put on some timber (may be it is muscle) but he is a much bigger unit than last season. Norburn very good (did I see his Mrs in the stand?. Boco was there second half too apologies if already mentioned somewhere) and Hartley yapped all game especially to the lino. In a good way that is, really good to see compared to the mute defence of last season. Smalley impressed me first half and Cox did his usual, effective, Deschamps role in the midfield.

Special mention for Torquay centre back Aaaron downes who should have ben sent off (or withdrawn) for an off the ball stamp on Morgan which the linesman saw and resulted in a free kick on the edge of their box (blazed over byTthomas). A vendetta he continued for the rest of the game as MM constantly had the beating of him. Pity MM couldn't finish his one on one miss was horrendous

Thats said, this reminded me why I hate pre-season friendlies as they are pretty meaningless (certainly result wise)
How do YOU know HIS missus ???? :whistle:

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
djg145":2nqyilwj said:
May have been asked in the previous 11 pages.

Torquay at HOME playing in all white and Argyle playing in yellow (yes I know its the away strip) but why did Torquay not play in their home strip and Argyle play in Green?
Torquay were unveiling their 3rd kit which is white and would have clashed with our stripes so we played in the away kit, happens quite a bit in preseason.

May 22, 2006
Argylegames":2qoqygo4 said:
Surprised Torquay has a third strip!

I was going to say this. Thought it was only big clubs with plenty of dumb fans ripe for the fleecing who had 3rd kits.