Training | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Training

A

Ajax66

Phil Sloggett":14tdutf3 said:
I think this point is worth revisiting today.

The team (and the coaching staff, including Sheridan!) need to spend some quality time on the training pitch this week working out how we are going to set about breaking down Accrington Stanley and ensuring we pick up 3 points next Saturday.

Stanley having let five in yesterday will be spending quality time on working out how to stop us so I envisage a stalemate. 0-0 draw.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
jerryatricjanner":2n570qsd said:
Clearly an off day for the Pulls regime yesterday.
i agree.you can't get a good result every time,just ask chelsea in their recent fa cup match.the difference is tony pulis will work to arrest this defeat.our coaching set up is embarrassing.allegedly,john harbin reads social media,perhaps he could do a run down of the daily and weekly training that the players do in his page in the programme.sheridan,mccarthy and harbin should be dismissed

Jul 3, 2013
Steve Evans":2q0nze5d said:
Phil Sloggett":2q0nze5d said:
How often do the players train?
What do the players do in training?
Who takes the sessions?
Are the players working on the issues which keep cropping up in games?

When teams are struggling it is the work on the training pitch which determines whether the issues are ironed out. Will the team be sitting down to watch a re-run of the game from today and have it pointed out to them where they need to improve so that we can get back to winning ways?

I don't think that would be a bad idea.
a trusted friend of mine works in the life centre.the word training is completely foreign to the players when they go over there.

I would be very surprised if the players used the life centre for much more than a bit of fitness, swimming or just a bit of feel the ball work if conditions outside were awful.

Aug 5, 2005
philevs":2m9idc7a said:
Perhaps someone from the club can come on here and give some answers about training, PASOTI is advertised at the ground and perhaps this gives it some sort of officialness?

And tell the world about our training techniques? You forgot that this forum is viewed by people far and wide.

Apr 1, 2009
Steve Evans":2oz76v26 said:
jerryatricjanner":2oz76v26 said:
i agree.you can't get a good result every time,just ask chelsea in their recent fa cup match.the difference is tony pulis will work to arrest this defeat.our coaching set up is embarrassing.allegedly,john harbin reads social media,perhaps he could do a run down of the daily and weekly training that the players do in his page in the programme.sheridan,mccarthy and harbin should be dismissed

Just as a matter of interest, Steve, why does Sean McCarthy make your hitlist and Paul Wotton doesn't?

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Quizmike":5oi26zmp said:
philevs":5oi26zmp said:
Perhaps someone from the club can come on here and give some answers about training, PASOTI is advertised at the ground and perhaps this gives it some sort of officialness?

And tell the world about our training techniques? You forgot that this forum is viewed by people far and wide.
hartlepool have just hammered us mate.something is wrong with the training/team spirit. :furious:

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
xmastree":3lkcggjq said:
Steve Evans":3lkcggjq said:
jerryatricjanner":3lkcggjq said:

Just as a matter of interest, Steve, why does Sean McCarthy make your hitlist and Paul Wotton doesn't?
because sean doesn't give a flying f@nny about any other club other than swansea and wotton,who i would not make manager,has got green blood pulsing through his body and played over 400 matches for us.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
There is a big piece in the Plymouth Indie today about the guy who controls/edits all the video tape from the many cameras that are apparently around the ground! This is used for analysis by the manager in demonstrating to the squad just where they are going wrong. It amused me to read that apparently opposition teams also ask for copies in order that they can complete their own analysis. If all this data is available it begs the question as to just why the team has 'gone off the boil' substantially.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
We have nobody in the team with the confidence, or perhaps ability, to shoot accurately from 20/25 yards (OK Ryan Brunt managed that yesterday).

Even some of our more skilful players have one foot that is only used for standing on.

I would assume that if I was a professional footballer, there would be plenty of time for me to have one on one coaching time to use my other foot.

Even at league 2 level there is no reason that players cannot be encouraged to develop additional skills.

May 26, 2006
South Devon
Phil Sloggett":c2pz7g9j said:
GreenGreen":c2pz7g9j said:
What do you see as the issues?

A lack of ideas going forward. Passing the ball around (in a forward direction). Lack of goals. Getting players into the box when we are attacking (how many times did the ball end up in their area, only for their to be no one there!). Defending at set pieces and corners (though apparently they practised defending those all week). General defensive frailties. Shape. Communication / talking to one another. Confidence (the players seem to have lost a lot of it). Desire to play for the shirt.

Oh, and making sure the players know their individual jobs and how to carry out the manager's game plan!

I'd agree with all that. It's not rocket science is it?!

Oct 5, 2013
davie nine":1kcbol9j said:
We have nobody in the team with the confidence, or perhaps ability, to shoot accurately from 20/25 yards (OK Ryan Brunt managed that yesterday).

Even some of our more skilful players have one foot that is only used for standing on.

I would assume that if I was a professional footballer, there would be plenty of time for me to have one on one coaching time to use my other foot.

Even at league 2 level there is no reason that players cannot be encouraged to develop additional skills.

Fully agree.
It amazes me that some of our players, as professional footballers, only seem to be able to shoot with their 'good' foot, hence easy to shepherd them onto their 'bad' one and prevent them getting in a shot. Why not spend time getting good with the other foot as well? Working 3 hours a day isn't a lot, is it? They could come back and do an hour on these basics later in the day. I would want to if I were a pro, wouldn't have to force me! Same applies to basic ball control, so that the ball isn't continually bouncing off 2-3 yards away after the first touch and we lose possession. Other teams often just seem to have better ball control than us.

Feb 8, 2005
philevs":3txxll2x said:
davie nine":3txxll2x said:

Fully agree.
It amazes me that some of our players, as professional footballers, only seem to be able to shoot with their 'good' foot, hence easy to shepherd them onto their 'bad' one and prevent them getting in a shot. Why not spend time getting good with the other foot as well? Working 3 hours a day isn't a lot, is it? They could come back and do an hour on these basics later in the day. I would want to if I were a pro, wouldn't have to force me! Same applies to basic ball control, so that the ball isn't continually bouncing off 2-3 yards away after the first touch and we lose possession. Other teams often just seem to have better ball control than us.

We're in the bottom division of the Football League, mate, not the top of the Premiership. That's why we are where we are, isn't it?

Sometimes you lot expect far too much.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
jimsing":2qecs2bb said:
philevs":2qecs2bb said:
davie nine":2qecs2bb said:

Fully agree.

We're in the bottom division of the Football League, mate, not the top of the Premiership. That's why we are where we are, isn't it?

we should expect our players to be as fit and motivated as our recent conquerors,that giant team of the north east,hartlepool united.they hammered argyle.the management/coaching staff should be dismissed now! :furious:

G

Greenskin

Steve Evans":1kbveqyq said:
jimsing":1kbveqyq said:
philevs":1kbveqyq said:
davie nine":1kbveqyq said:

Fully agree.

we should expect our players to be as fit and motivated as our recent conquerors,that giant team of the north east,hartlepool united.they hammered argyle.the management/coaching staff should be dismissed now! :furious:

Jesus wept. In the past, quite a few people have been banned for allegedly being repetitively negative one trick ponies. What exactly was the difference between those cases and the inane ramblings of this bloke? Just wondering like.