Training | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Training

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Greenskin":2s3pci8p said:
Steve Evans":2s3pci8p said:
jimsing":2s3pci8p said:
philevs":2s3pci8p said:
davie nine":2s3pci8p said:
We have nobody in the team with the confidence, or perhaps ability, to shoot accurately from 20/25 yards (OK Ryan Brunt managed that yesterday).

Even some of our more skilful players have one foot that is only used for standing on.

I would assume that if I was a professional footballer, there would be plenty of time for me to have one on one coaching time to use my other foot.

Even at league 2 level there is no reason that players cannot be encouraged to develop additional skills.

Fully agree.
It amazes me that some of our players, as professional footballers, only seem to be able to shoot with their 'good' foot, hence easy to shepherd them onto their 'bad' one and prevent them getting in a shot. Why not spend time getting good with the other foot as well? Working 3 hours a day isn't a lot, is it? They could come back and do an hour on these basics later in the day. I would want to if I were a pro, wouldn't have to force me! Same applies to basic ball control, so that the ball isn't continually bouncing off 2-3 yards away after the first touch and we lose possession. Other teams often just seem to have better ball control than us.

We're in the bottom division of the Football League, mate, not the top of the Premiership. That's why we are where we are, isn't it?

Sometimes you lot expect far too much.
we should expect our players to be as fit and motivated as our recent conquerors,that giant team of the north east,hartlepool united.they hammered argyle.the management/coaching staff should be dismissed now! :furious:

Jesus wept. In the past, quite a few people have been banned for allegedly being repetitively negative one trick ponies. What exactly was the difference between those cases and the inane ramblings of this bloke? Just wondering like.
are you happy with the way the club is doing at the moment.i give credit and criticism where it is due. :furious:

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
TomLannigan":ph6wplit said:
I remember last season every Thursday was an open training session, can anyone confirm if this is still happening?
yes it is but unfortunately the players stopped turning up. ;)

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
Steve Evans":18tk0ilt said:
i give credit and criticism where it is due.

I'm struggling to recall any of the former from you. If JS managed to sign Messi on loan for the remainder of the season and we won our next game 30-0, you'd find some reason to have a dig at Sheridan.

Jun 13, 2012
Sunderland
I think there's a distinct lack of context going on in this discussion.

Take a breath and step back. Look at where we have come from and where we are today. Yes we lost to bottom of the league, the performance was shoddy and we should be right to moan about it, but when we were down there a few seasons ago how do you think we stayed up? We fought for our lives and upset the odds.

We finished 10th last season and all we want is progress. We are currently 10th with 1/3 of our season left, let's wait until May before calling for the managers head. I agree with jimsing we expect too much and need to realign these expectations.

Keep the faith because most of the time that's all we have.

COYG

Jun 13, 2012
Sunderland
Admittedly not as much as I did when I lived in Plymouth but this isn't about how often I watch Argyle, it's about realising we took one hell of a beating through admin and creditors.

We have made vast improvements over the last 3 years, the league table reflects this, but when the sh!t hits the fan there's no point calling on the club to sack the manager midway through the season. We all want promotion but if that doesn't happen progress is what is needed.
If we are sat here in May and finish 15th I'll be the same as you, wondering where we are going. But as of 2nd February we've matched last season, now let's see where we go.

Apr 15, 2008
London
pafcchris":2v1p7zho said:
Admittedly not as much as I did when I lived in Plymouth but this isn't about how often I watch Argyle, it's about realising we took one hell of a beating through admin and creditors.

We have made vast improvements over the last 3 years, the league table reflects this, but when the sh!t hits the fan there's no point calling on the club to sack the manager midway through the season. We all want promotion but if that doesn't happen progress is what is needed.
If we are sat here in May and finish 15th I'll be the same as you, wondering where we are going. But as of 2nd February we've matched last season, now let's see where we go.

What- mid-table League 2 rather than bottom 5 League 2 - not that much of an improvement.

Jun 13, 2012
Sunderland
crownhillpilgrim":3nvoz96q said:
pafcchris":3nvoz96q said:

What- mid-table League 2 rather than bottom 5 League 2 - not that much of an improvement.

My point being we aren't there yet. In my opinion we need to see out the rest of the season and evaluate from there. If we manage the playoffs then it's improvement and a step forward. If we finish mid table then that's not good enough and the people in charge will need to take action.

Results since Christmas haven't been good enough, now it's down to the manager and players to turn it around.

COYG

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
pafcchris":vhq3s1ue said:
crownhillpilgrim":vhq3s1ue said:
pafcchris":vhq3s1ue said:

My point being we aren't there yet. In my opinion we need to see out the rest of the season and evaluate from there. If we manage the playoffs then it's improvement and a step forward. If we finish mid table then that's not good enough and the people in charge will need to take action.

Results since Christmas haven't been good enough, now it's down to the manager and players to turn it around.

COYG
chris,did you go to the hartlepool match on saturday?if you did what do you think was wrong?

Sep 6, 2006
Steve Evans":1b14nl75 said:
pafcchris":1b14nl75 said:
crownhillpilgrim":1b14nl75 said:
pafcchris":1b14nl75 said:

COYG
chris,did you go to the hartlepool match on saturday?if you did what do you think was wrong?

I hate to defend Sheridan, and I wasn't there on Sat but we did have almost half an outfield team of new players. That's takes a while to settle.
Whilst on the issue I dont think Sheridan is up to it but he is not helped by a very inexperienced backroom staff who seem to get away with little criticism.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Balham_Green":1uahi1bn said:
Steve Evans":1uahi1bn said:
pafcchris":1uahi1bn said:
crownhillpilgrim":1uahi1bn said:
pafcchris":1uahi1bn said:

COYG

I hate to defend Sheridan, and I wasn't there on Sat but we did have almost half an outfield team of new players. That's takes a while to settle.
Whilst on the issue I dont think Sheridan is up to it but he is not helped by a very inexperienced backroom staff who seem to get away with little critiicism.

new players signed by him when he chose to sign them.
Backroom staff that he wanted presumably?

Sorry the word is ... Manager .. not Shouldersloper!! :facepalm:

Oct 5, 2013
pafcchris":4fb8i05w said:

Take a breath and step back. Look at where we have come from and where we are today. Yes we lost to bottom of the league, the performance was shoddy and we should be right to moan about it, but when we were down there a few seasons ago how do you think we stayed up? We fought for our lives and upset the odds.

We finished 10th last season and all we want is progress. We are currently 10th with 1/3 of our season left, let's wait until May before calling for the managers head. I agree with jimsing we expect too much and need to realign these expectations.

COYG

This thread being about Training, do you have any concerns on that level, from what you see on the pitch?

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
philevs":2h3mceo4 said:
pafcchris":2h3mceo4 said:

COYG

This thread being about Training, do you have any concerns on that level, from what you see on the pitch?
he hardly ever watches 'em phil.luckily for him he decided to live nearby in sunderland.