What a game! Brief synopsis | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

What a game! Brief synopsis

Oct 14, 2015
Chuckled at the chant to Anton Ferdinand when he tried to square up to big Ryan Edwards
" Your just a s--t Rio Ferdinand" Obviously got to him by his reaction to the Plymouth fans.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Welwyn Pilgrim":2fpyu3u3 said:
Chuckled at the chant to Anton Ferdinand when he tried to square up to big Ryan Edwards
" Your just a s--t Rio Ferdinand" Obviously got to him by his reaction to the Plymouth fans.

Most predictable chant of the day, but still funny :)

May 16, 2016
Biggs":pqyum2c7 said:
Quintrell_Green":pqyum2c7 said:
The stats on the game are interesting on the BBC Sport website. They read ;-

Corners Southend 16, Argyle 5

Shots Southend 16 Argyle 10

Possession Southend 57% Argyle 43%

I was not present, but these figures appear to be at odds with some of the reports, unless Argyle were very dire first half?

Southend had a hell of a lot of corners and Argyle WERE under par in the first 45, yes. But those stats don't mean anything in any game, really.

What if a side is being hammered 3-0 but has a big go to get back into the game in the last 10 minutes? They'll probably end up with more corners and shots than the winning team. Stats don't remotely paint the picture of a game.

Yeovil have scored 7 goals in their last two away games but lost both. You're right, stats are just that - stats and not a description.

Sep 23, 2005
My Southend supporting pal who was there quoted exactly the same stats at me but conceded we had more shots on target and but for 2 flying saves by their keeper we would have won it. He thought they were totally inept up front and Brown's team selection and game management useless.

Nov 18, 2011
If I was a Southend fan I'd be concerned at how they had so many corners but never really created any opportunities from them, I only recall one of them in the first half looking threatening.

May 16, 2016
Biggs":5xd9pfjj said:
Welwyn Pilgrim":5xd9pfjj said:

Most predictable chant of the day, but still funny :)

Sadly for me, the most predictable one coming through my headphones in SE Cornwall was the usual drivel aimed at our keeper.

Mar 14, 2009
Joe Totale":1dwhdd81 said:
If I was a Southend fan I'd be concerned at how they had so many corners but never really created any opportunities from them, I only recall one of them in the first half looking threatening.

Considering our recent corner issues, especially from last season, this is good news that hopefully our defence can take positives from this season.

Also we are creating opportunities from set pieces.

Mar 6, 2011
London / Plymouth
A few of my thoughts - for what it's worth..

First time seeing us this season, so hard this is purely based on today's performance.

First half; we were just not at the races. We appeared sluggish, losing 50/50s across the park, and the plan seemed to be playing long up towards Nathan Blissett or Jake. Nothing seemed to stick, the ball constantly coming back towards us and Southend moved it around well to open is up. Despite being fortunate for their goal, could have easily been 3 or 4 by half time. Carey found himself coming deep to get possession but with little outlet.

Second was a different game. Seemed to have more desire, higher work rate and better shape. Surprised to see Foxy off (injured?) but Sonogo played well when he came on, looked lovely and got involved. Ainsworth (despite a few errors) did much more for me than Grant. Looked to get on the balli and worked hard.

Our purple patch had them rocked - looked a different, more confident team, and could sense a goal coming on that momentum.

Blissett should've scored but chose to pass around the keeper - which went badly wrong, perhaps he's short on confidence? That said, 2nd half he was holding up the ball nicely, bringing others in.

Carey's shot looked in, but for a decent stop from their keeper, whilst we pushed Southend looked good on the break but we kept a goood shape and recovered well.

Edwards and Bradley looks a solid partnership, Miller hit and miss - Sarcevic (sp?) looks fresher, fitter and worked hard.

Overall, happy with a point, especially based on the first 45.

GA in good voice too - good afternoon out.

lien60

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2006
plymouth
Heard a comment from a Southend fan on the way back to the train station that they reckoned Luke handled outside the box has anyone seen any highlights yet??

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Two away games and both games the home keeper has been MOM which says a lot for what we are doing.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
The first half wasn't good, we offered very little going forward and we looked a bit disjointed & open at the back, so credit to Adams for changing things at the break, he made the right subs.

In the second half, things seemed to click more, Jervis moving up top brought Blissett to life and he was a different player, Songo'o & Ainsworth were both very good, and Carey did well on the left. We deserved our equaliser, scored by the excellent Edwards, and after that, I was pleased we didn't sit back, we went for the win, and unfortunately a superb save from their keeper and a couple of last ditch tackles prevented our second.

The difference in quality & intensity from L2 to L1 has been clear over the first few games and it's great to watch!

Green Army were in great voice, good point on the road.

Dec 2, 2010
Just back from the game. Another early (own) goal and Argyle were not just at it enough, despite the Carey and Blisset efforts. The pitch certainly didn't help and it was a masterful switch by DA at half time, something just told you that Argyle weren't out of this yet.

Songo'o was what we needed and Ainsworth can run at players. Blissett was excellent in the second half and with Jervis alongside him things were finally starting to happen.

A well deserved points and a good return from three tough games. Optimistic.
What a great signing Edwards is proving to be!