What a game! Brief synopsis | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

What a game! Brief synopsis

Jan 29, 2010
Southend started well the wingers causing all sorts of problems. However nothing much came from them as Sonny and Ryan Edwards won everything. Almost identical to Peterborough we go 1 down this time Bradley the unfortunate man. Goal seemed to knock us for a bit and whilst Southend were good getting at the ball forward they couldn't add to the one goal either through some good defending or poor finishing and crossing. Only one real chance from a good piece of work by Blissett.

No idea what was in the half time cup of tea but boy did it work. Change in formation worked a treat. Blissett was winning most things in the first half but was so isolated nothing ever came of it. With Jervis in there with him suddenly we had a focal point and things started to happen. For 20 minutes we were the only team in it, although some wayward passing especially from Ainsworth when facing his own goal nearly caught us out. The goal when it came was well deserved and right off the training ground. The final 20 minutes was very open with both teams going for the win, great to see and must have been a good watch if you were neutral. Chances at both ends none more so that an effort from the unusually quiet Carey in particular was headed right for the top corner but somehow the keeper got enough of it to put it wide. Still time for a few scares at the end, good piece of sweeping from Luke and fortunately a shot straight at Luke from Kightly probably the best player on the pitch today.

Best 45 minutes I have seen from Songo'o, Blissett works very hard wins a lot and holds the ball well, Sarcevic had a very good second half, the centre backs won most things that came across. The full backs had tough games against two lively wingers. Ainsworth was decent going forward not so sure defensively.

Happy with what I have seen so far. We can and will hold our own at this level. There will no doubt be a few low points but we will also pick points up regularly enough to keep us happy. One thing you will never be able to throw at this team is lack of effort. Every last man gives his all and we should appreciate that win lose or draw.

Pip

Mar 31, 2004
Maidstone
Always interesting reading the opinions of others there but for me, the summary by Mongoose best reflects the game that I saw.

Sep 6, 2006
The first half performance was so disappointing after the way we played at Peterborough. Southend were majorly up for it after their 5.0 defeat and we couldn't get any kind of hold on the game. Looked a different side second half although we could easily have been further behind by then. Really pleased we went for the winner at 1.1 leaving ourselves open at the back but making for a cracking half. Somebody above suggested Fox may have been injured. I suspect it was just tactical. He is a good player but the game was not suited to him and we needed a more physical presence. Songo duly obliged and was excellent. Blissett did well with Jervis closer 2nd half. He cant play the lone role. Was very isolated 1st half.

Apr 15, 2016
Best game I've seen for years. League 1 quality better than I remember, maybe Southend are a top half team

Really impressed by the switches at half time, great to see 2 teams going for the win too

First time I've seen Edwards, he's what we were missing at the back last year. And Blissett just clicked second half - roll on next Saturday!

Apr 6, 2009
lien60":8oocd5pb said:
Heard a comment from a Southend fan on the way back to the train station that they reckoned Luke handled outside the box has anyone seen any highlights yet??

I also heard this on route to the train but not mentioned anywhere

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
Northern Green":4kjtmm8e said:
Best game I've seen for years. League 1 quality better than I remember, maybe Southend are a top half team

Really impressed by the switches at half time, great to see 2 teams going for the win too

First time I've seen Edwards, he's what we were missing at the back last year. And Blissett just clicked second half - roll on next Saturday!

The gap in quality seems much bigger than 15 years ago doesn't it? Maybe it's a good thing we didn't go up in 2015 under Sheridan - that team would have been completely out of its depth at L1 level.