Who do we want as our new Manager | Page 48 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Who do we want as our new Manager

Nov 18, 2011
If he’s referring to decision making structure rather than the actual decisions being made then that might rule him out as we have the same DoF, Head of Analytics, Head Coach setup
Given that he's been coaching abroad where our model is much more prevalent, it's likely that Reims have a structure similar to Argyle.

Still would be quite a reach but I'd certainly be happy if we managed to employ him.

Mar 1, 2024
Wigan
Given that he's been coaching abroad where our model is much more prevalent, it's likely that Reims have a structure similar to Argyle.

Still would be quite a reach but I'd certainly be happy if we managed to employ him.
That’s my thoughts. More to do with the actual decisions Sunderland are making which have gone from from reasonably sensible in recent history to absolutely insane this season

Nov 18, 2011
That’s my thoughts. More to do with the actual decisions Sunderland are making which have gone from from reasonably sensible in recent history to absolutely insane this season
That's what happens when your Chairman is a 27 year old who has entirely acquired their wealth from their parents.

The Louis-Dreyfus family have had a large influence on French football through their ownership of Marseille, certainly controversial at times which may have put off Still.

Thank god Argyle don't have a similar owner to Sunderland.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Sorry if this has been mentioned before, I haven't been following this thread, but if I understand correctly, we interviewed three candidates - Foster, Cook, and Barry. What are the odds that a data-driven process threw up three (more) scousers?
It does seem that Scots and scousers are disproportionately represented throughout the entire UK football business ..... presumably that is a cultural thing. Also now that at the Prem level more and more foreign coaches are attracted by the big money and taken up most of those roles then more Scots and scousers than ever are at the levels just below. So maybe it's not as surprising as it may at first appear although the fact we have a scouser as DoF is the more obvious factor as it means more of his contacts have that background.

Incidentally, it used to be true (I heard this stat about ten years ago) but per capita Scotland's football crowds are bigger than any other in Europe bar one - Albania*.....

*PS - I just Googled that 'fun fact' and Sky Sports now claim Scotland is number one with Netherlands second, but I wonder if they included Albania in that? (Yes, OK .... you really wouldn't want to get stuck in a lift with me 😊)

Kenny Pester

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Oct 17, 2006
Cattedown, Plymouth.
Bit of a left field choice but I think Ruben Selles at Reading would be a good fit. He's done a cracking job at Reading despite their current situation. You only need to look at how together the squad are and various tweets from their fans about him.

Nov 18, 2011
Bit of a left field choice but I think Ruben Selles at Reading would be a good fit. He's done a cracking job at Reading despite their current situation. You only need to look at how together the squad are and various tweets from their fans about him.
I'm never sure how transferable the experience gained from working at a crisis club is to working at a well run club like Argyle.

For example Wayne Rooney did a good job at Derby when they were falling apart but has shown nothing since to suggest that he's a capable manager outside of a crisis situation.

Jul 12, 2016
Is it too early for a poll ? Seriously though if we are safe next week does the appointment start to go into full swing or do we wait until seasons end? I personally think that we maybe wait til season end but want need it done by end of May to allow someone to mould there squad needs a rebuild this season with the rumoured departures. Will any investment possibilities hold up the process?
Bit of a dilemma.Unlikely that anybody will throw their hat in the ring until the season is over. Hold off and managers and players will be on holiday before too long.

Feb 23, 2022
Bit of a curve ball, but there is another Duff. Damien.
Currently managing Shelbourne in the League of Ireland - top of the premier league after 10 games. (I’d put the LoI at about League 1 level, with a sprinkling of Championship standard players…)

He’s a straight talker, had coaching experience with Neil Lennon at Celtic & was a hell of a player….
Just a thought.

Sep 7, 2006
London
It does seem that Scots and scousers are disproportionately represented throughout the entire UK football business ..... presumably that is a cultural thing. Also now that at the Prem level more and more foreign coaches are attracted by the big money and taken up most of those roles then more Scots and scousers than ever are at the levels just below. So maybe it's not as surprising as it may at first appear although the fact we have a scouser as DoF is the more obvious factor as it means more of his contacts have that background.

Incidentally, it used to be true (I heard this stat about ten years ago) but per capita Scotland's football crowds are bigger than any other in Europe bar one - Albania*.....

*PS - I just Googled that 'fun fact' and Sky Sports now claim Scotland is number one with Netherlands second, but I wonder if they included Albania in that? (Yes, OK .... you really wouldn't want to get stuck in a lift with me 😊)
Agree with this, and really dislike the "PLEASE no more scousers" comments that crop up.

Also, people over-simplify the whole "data-driven" approach. Argyle have made it clear they also take into account subjective, qualitative factors too.

Dewsnips network has proved useful many times, and he's presumably more likely to be able to get inside information and opinions on whether Liverpudlians are "k***heads", good coaches, etc.

On the other hand, I do think the Argyle bosses need to do - and it sounds like they are doing - some soul searching. I thought a telling line from the Hallett podcast was about ND sort of rolling his eyes about "another data-driven transfer target". These types of philosophical battles can be healthy, but it's hard to deny there was surely a lack of data on Foster as the head coach/manager. International youth tournaments...simply not the same, different level, less games, less competitive really.

Reactions: Ave IT

ping g5

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Dec 20, 2005
Jimmy Thelin, previously mentioned in dispatches here, just confirmed as Aberdeen boss from next season...

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
Is it too early for a poll ? Seriously though if we are safe next week does the appointment start to go into full swing or do we wait until seasons end? I personally think that we maybe wait til season end but want need it done by end of May to allow someone to mould there squad needs a rebuild this season with the rumoured departures. Will any investment possibilities hold up the process?
I don't think we can be mathematically safe until after the Millwall game at the earliest and, as that is only a week before season's end, I assume we will wait until we know what league we are in before recruiting.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Jimmy Thelin, previously mentioned in dispatches here, just confirmed as Aberdeen boss from next season...

Interesting and seems quite a coup. I think we can be looking at some pretty high quality candidates, from UK and abroad.

Reactions: MustardEagle