who should be rested for the Shrewsbury game? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

who should be rested for the Shrewsbury game?

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
From the OS":1yl17i1s said:
There are a few of them carrying knocks and I will make a decision this week. Reuben [Reid] has played today but he was only around 70% fit, because of his thigh and foot. I asked him to play and he put a shift in for an hour.

“Carl McHugh’s got a knock, Peter [Hartley] has got a knock, Kelvin [Mellor] has got a knock, but they all wanted to play, and it might just give me a chance to look at one or two next week, against a very good team.”

Read more at http://www.pafc.co.uk/news/article/shre ... sDp8VPC.99

So sounds like those 4 could be rested. If Hartley and McHugh are out we might see a formation change unless Bentley comes in.

Luke;
Jones, Nelson, O'Connor, THD;
Reid, Cox, Norburn/Blizzard;
Banton/Harvey/Ansah;
Lewi, Brunt.

Jul 29, 2010
It's a tricky one this.

You want to preserve your players as best you can but at the same time you don't want to completely lose all concept of shape, roles and responsibilities and mess with their heads going into (hopefully) the play-offs. I'd say Reuben is a given, likewise anyone on a booking away from a suspension (assuming booking tallies carry on into the play-offs). Beyond that though i'd retain some consistency and the only 'rest' should come from simply allowing them to drop their work rate to 'tick over' if the 'eight goal spread factor' isn't playing out. Then make some early substitutions with the fringe players.

I say 'hopefully' the play-offs because we have not yet ensured it. Graham Westley has even more reason to rest his players and if he puts out a 'scratch side' you could see a Luton side with everything to play for getting properly into them. With Shrewsbury going for the championship if we too put out a fringe side the 'eight goal spread factor' is by no means impossible.

No, stick to broadly the same side and sent them out at 3pm to play 100%. Then you retain the option if it's going to plan at half time or 60 minutes to let the players drop to 'testimonial game' levels of work rate and tackling and see that through to the final whistle.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Only Reid IMO. Shrewsbury are a very good side and still have a shot at the title. We may require an eight goal swing for things to go against us, but stranger things have happened. Not to mention Stevenage may also rest players against Luton. We shouldn't be taking too many risks.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
tonycholwell":2tzo0ux7 said:
I think Sheridan should be rested.
Nah he has enough rest as it is. Now where has that Evans fellow been hiding these past couple of days?

Aug 10, 2006
nobody we could do with getting a result at shrewsbury to build a bit of confidence going into the play offs.

Apr 6, 2009
alex-d":6w4suggy said:
katkin":6w4suggy said:
I think just Reid unless anyone else has niggles.

If Hartley were to get another yellow would it still be a one game ban?

The cut-off for yellow cards was after the Mansfield game so he's safe from a ban

thank you - then i'd just rest Reid

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
It is a tough one, but it looked like McHugh was struggling again towards the end on Saturday. He'd be crucial for the Play-offs , so I'd probably bench him and have AOC start at centre-back.

I'm not sure that resting Reuben for one game will make much difference.

No wholesale changes - playing momentum is important, even if we were to lose.

Feb 21, 2011
Reuben looks like he needs a rest as does Mchugh, be interesting to see if he gives Banton a shot up top disappointing though he's been this season he does have that bit of magic in him even though it's been sadly missing all season one goal could kick start him and its players like that who can win you one off games.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Difficult to rest McHugh and slot in O'Connor without Cox to replace him as a defensive midfielder. We've seen Norburn, Blizzard and even Bobby Reid in the role and none of them have really filled me with confidence. Guess the other option would be to bring in Purrington (wrong side), Jones, or Bentley as the centre-back and move one of the other two but I wouldn't go big on that as an idea either. Another other option would be to play Purrington and Mellor in a flat back 4 and leave O'Connor just in front. 4-1-4-1 with Alessandra and THD in the wide roles and Brunt on his own, and Banton and Bobby Reid pushing up alongside?

Too disruptive IMHO - just rest Reid unless McHugh is likely to break down.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
The only other players other than R. Reid you can probably afford to rest are Bobby Reid and Lewi, with Banton, Ansah and Brunt slotting in there places.