who should be rested for the Shrewsbury game? | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

who should be rested for the Shrewsbury game?

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Would rest

Hartley, Mc Hugh
B Reid
R Reid, Alessandra

These players have been the spine of the team and will benefit from a little rest whist giving others the opportunity to get some game time

If any of these got injured on Saturday it would be a big blow so probably not worth the risk IMHO

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
samjones":2u72ex77 said:
Would rest

Hartley, Mc Hugh
B Reid
R Reid, Alessandra

These players have been the spine of the team and will benefit from a little rest whist giving others the opportunity to get some game time

If any of these got injured on Saturday it would be a big blow so probably not worth the risk IMHO

So what about Super Luke ?

samjones":1gykakur said:
Would rest

Hartley, Mc Hugh
B Reid
R Reid, Alessandra

But imagine the scenario whereby we rest all of those players and concede a couple of goals early. This would be disastrous as it would give Luton encouragement and would be very difficult to stop the waves of Shrewsbury attacks even if we got three of these players back on. We must only start relaxing and assume we're in the playoffs midway through the second half when its obvious the 8 goals won't be overturned. Having said that, I'd rest Rueben simply because he's not playing well and he needs a rest.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Dreamgreen":2tey1q4f said:
samjones":2tey1q4f said:
Would rest

Hartley, Mc Hugh
B Reid
R Reid, Alessandra

So what about Super Luke ?

I don't think a keeper exerts the same level of energy as an outfield player and I'm sure he is capable of handling the extra game.
Yes it would be a loss to lose him through injury but the risk is probably greater with an outfield player especially when tiredness sets in.

Also we can't rest everyone and chance Luton scoring 4 or 5 which is unlikely but not impossible if Stevenage play a reserve team resting their team for the playoffs which they are guaranteed.

Apr 30, 2011
I'd definitely rest Reid from full contact football for 2 weeks. McHugh has also beem struggling with an injury. I'd also like Brunt, Ansah, Cox (if available) and Banton to get decent rum outs as we may need these players if struggling in Play offs. Like others have said, we don't want to risk getting hammered but I genuinely believe that the players coming in will see this as a chance to get into the team so they would (you'd like to think) want to be giving it their all.

To play our strongest team and get beat 3-0 with picking up a suspension and injury along the way would be absolutely terrible preparation for the play-offs. If R Reid plays as badly as he has the last few games due to injury in the play offs then we have no chance anyway so to play him now would be foolish.

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
Without joining the "eternal pessimist club", i think we should field a strong team for this one.

Stevenage can't move from their current position so have nothing to play for - and can rightly rest players for the play-offs. This makes Luton's job slightly easier.

I would be reluctant taking a team into this game that was significantly weakened at the risk of a 3-0 defeat with it feasible that Luton could "do a job" on Stevenage and overhaul us.

Also keeping the team consistent may help us in the play-offs rather than chopping and changing.