Why would any player want to move here | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Why would any player want to move here

Feb 15, 2005
The airport thing is a myth in that we have two airports within an hour of the city centre, Exeter has many routes to UK destinations and Newquay has services to London and other major cities. If you live in Londn it can and an hour to get to the airport?

Jul 2, 2014
Being a football fan sucks much of the time - this is true of every team. I bet Man City fans are, on average, every bit as disappointed and frustrated as we are - all that "flair", all that money, all that everything, and they are still p*$$ed that they didn't actually win anything this season.

Argyle fans are absolutely fantastic, especially those who travel to away games.

Fans are usually going to be disappointed - it is the nature of the game - actually, its pretty much the nature of life - how we deal with disappointment is what matters.

Some fans want to vent their disappointment - sometimes fairly and accurately, and sometimes unfairly and in personally nasty ways. Well, Argyle fans are a pretty much a good sampling of society and that's how people are. We know, on Pasoti, who vents, and who is irrationally biased against or for someone associated with the club.

Fans want players, managers, owners and everyone associated with the club to be as passionate as we are - and we what that passion expressed openly for us to see (as we do with our wives and girlfriends). The more passionate we are as people, the more we want to see that passion in our club.

John Sheridan, for all his strengths (and he has many), does not often express a lot of passion in interviews or in his body language in the dugout. In person (and in his language pitch-side) he is passionate. That lack of open expression when fans are disappointed or frustrated during a game or after, really sets a lot of people off. We see it here and elsewhere.

We loved Ian Holloway right up to the moment he walked out on us, in part, because he was so expressive (remeber him "bleeding green".) In some ways Holloway's very open expressiveness only highlights Sheridan lack of it.

When Reuben's body language looks like he is not 110% physically and emotionally engaged, fans get angry and express it - its true of every player, fair or not.

If we win, all is forgiven; if we lose, nothing is forgiven. At the end of the season, we lost.

Players. coaches, managers etc. understand the deal and rationally try not to take it personally. But they are people too and stuff gets through to them to some degree.

I do not think players sign for any team based on what they think the fans are saying on the forums.

I do believe that Sheridan is aware that he is not popular among the fans. I think he will only factor that into a decision to stay or go if he thinks that it will impact his ability to succeed next season. I personally feel that he, like most people, want to win wherever he is.

Salary is important, but football is about striving to win every time - anyone without that in their gut does not go far in the sport.

Pasoti is like any conversation, we try to be tolerant of others who we disagree with, but it is hard when they use nasty, sarcastic, or needling language. I am one of the "optimists" and reading others bitch and moan is a drag. So when we have a c%@p game, I stay away if I can for a few days. If I can't (too often), I have only myself to blame when I get angry as some of the posts I read.

If we stand back and think rationally about Argyle, what we have been through over the past five years, the millstones will still carry, this was probably an "okay season." We won some games that we were passionate about (Exeter, Portsmouth) and lost a bunch that we desperately wanted to win. Our performances as well as our results were better than they have been since our financial downward spiral began after Holloway's tenure. Still, setting all of the recent history aside, we are "big enough" (meaning fan based and related revenue) to be at least a full league above where we are.

:scarf:

CarolinaGreen

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
Jun 10, 2006
Raleigh, North Carolina
up_the_line":3vwirzfq said:
Just wondering like, what's better...a fan who bitches and moans at continuous dross but goes to the majority of games, or someone far more sane who doesn't bother at all??

I think people like you ought to be thankful that after the last decade there are still actually people left with enough passion for the club TO bitch and moan rather than just walk away from the club and do something else on Saturdays

In any case our apparently awful support wasn't enough to put off the umpteen loans who came to home park last season

Can we just ban all opinion that doesn't come from fans who show up for games please. We idiots who live at a distance, in this age of information, have no logical/sensible opinions worth listening to. Quite frankly I'd like to reduce the access to this forum to just the die hard 4k that always show up, as they are the only ones who really care.

Thanks

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
buck197":21i5qydv said:
The airport thing is a myth in that we have two airports within an hour of the city centre, Exeter has many routes to UK destinations and Newquay has services to London and other major cities. If you live in Londn it can and an hour to get to the airport?

It would be interesting to see a full analysis that shows how far you can get from an airport entrance doorway in a given amount of time (say 45 minutes, 1 hour etc) for different airports. I would have thought that most of the bigger, more central airports take a lot longer to get out of and clear of than, say, Exeter, and then the traffic around them is likely to be heavier too. So you can probably live a lot further from Exeter than, say, Luton, Birmingham International, Manchester airports etc. and not have to travel any longer to catch a plane. Obviously the range of destinations would be more limited though. I suspect that the idea of poor air transport links from Plymouth is a bit of a red herring (as the above post suggests).

Aug 10, 2010
I have to pitch in on this one. I'm a loyal fan and have lived in the states now for going on ten plus years. Prior to that I attended every home game and many away games from the dismal days in division three to the Championship. I haven't seen a game at home park since my last visit but Iam every part a fan as a regular attendee. What I hate is the constant drivel that comes out of the mouths of the fan who says he has more rights than me because he's a paying customer. Here is the hard truth back in the early nighties we were woeful. If we didn't get relegated that was an achievement. Then along came a new board and then a manager and we went on a trip to the promised land. Our support grew as well but it wasn't to be and we dropped as did are fans. The board ran away and as a club we were left with nothing. No one wanted to buy us no manager wanted to pick up the task. Then along came what we have now and with a low fan base and low income have in my opinion done an alright job. Look at Luton as an example. To finish in the playoffs have a player with 20+ goals on a beer budget ain't bad. So to the original post well said I get what you are trying to say. It is the fans the more we as fans invest the better are club will do but the people of plymouth care more about Man U Liverpool and arsenal. Change that and we can dart talking about the rest

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Cobi Budge.":ug97mm68 said:
Biggs":ug97mm68 said:
crownhillpilgrim":ug97mm68 said:
Our fans are second to none and we have two-thirds of a very good ground at this level... With players coming from a higher level, though, I could see how, in every other regard, the club is more than a little tinpot.

Agreed. The lack of any kind of decent training ground, academy, gym, press facilities etc is more than a bit concerning. There doesn't seem to be any foundation.

Correct.

Look at Bury, investing in their side sensibly, investing in their youth sensibly, securing the use of Carrington which is a remarkable training facility, they are laying foundations for a better future.

We just look a bit tinpot at the moment.
Is it sensibly? The chairman seems to be putting a lot of money into them, is it sustainable?

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
CarolinaGreen":11h48l5s said:
up_the_line":11h48l5s said:
Just wondering like, what's better...a fan who bitches and moans at continuous dross but goes to the majority of games, or someone far more sane who doesn't bother at all??

I think people like you ought to be thankful that after the last decade there are still actually people left with enough passion for the club TO bitch and moan rather than just walk away from the club and do something else on Saturdays

In any case our apparently awful support wasn't enough to put off the umpteen loans who came to home park last season

Can we just ban all opinion that doesn't come from fans who show up for games please. We idiots who live at a distance, in this age of information, have no logical/sensible opinions worth listening to. Quite frankly I'd like to reduce the access to this forum to just the die hard 4k that always show up, as they are the only ones who really care.

Thanks

What in God's name are you on about? Where have I said that exiled fans have no right to an opinion? I lived in Manchester for a decade and certainly had an opinion. My post was saying that people (in Plymouth) who still bother to turn up ought to be appreciated even if they do have the audacity to moan at how poo we are...it had nothing to do with exiled fans who obviously cannot feasibily attend. I was merely saying that those who still go cannot be criticised for having the odd moan about the dire standard of the team right now

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
buck197":us17akpp said:

I think in terms of tourism it's meaningless. I've just booked a trip to Rome and at no point did I really look up how long it would take to get to the centre from the airport (about an hour, I see now). If you want to go to the place, 45 mins will never put you off.

In terms of players, staff and general business trips, I think it is more important. Regular or weekly trips back and forth would be so much more palatable if the airport was an easy 5-10 mins away rather than 45.