WMN interview with James Brent (23rd November) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

WMN interview with James Brent (23rd November)

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
John Eldridge":3i51a0q8 said:
Off track a bit but the tunnel area, dugouts and facade look like they all need a tidy up and some paint.
The Pompey pictures on GOS back this up. It's all looking a tad shabby :thumbdown:

There was also a recent thread saying how shabby the front entrance was looking plus (my personal gripe) Keith Todd's New World emblems still adorn Home Park.

dunlop

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
Forget the Mickey Mouse stand it looks like we are going to get at the best is a Micro stand fitted out by Pondlandwith with a promise by Brent that the two ends can be built to increase the capacity if needed.

Is there one thing Brent has said since he took control ever been true.

Looking back at history when the bulk of of our support was from the forces is pointless, we are a changing city let's start to look forward.

May 22, 2006
I'd start with a small stand and keep it that way.

If we do get to the Prem then we'll be descended upon by the sort of people who wear half-and-half scarves, who come to football for the "experience", and who have bought into the whole "passion" and "drama" thing. When I was a kid, I used to fantasise about Argyle getting to the Prem. But that was before the Prem became so unrelentingly naff.

It's a bit like following a band I suppose - you wish them well and hope that they make enough money to stave off poverty, but you'd be devastated if they made it big, because that would mean sitting down the back of the O2 (or some other soul-destroying "arena") with a load of dribbling cretins baying for the "hits".

We're too cool for the Prem. 17,000? Make it 15,000. Plymouth Argyle - staying small and cliquey forever (hopefully).

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
Andrew Owen":3nqgr5fm said:

If we do get to the Prem then we'll be descended upon by the sort of people who wear half-and-half scarves, who come to football for the "experience", and who have bought into the whole "passion" and "drama" thing. When I was a kid, I used to fantasise about Argyle getting to the Prem. But that was before the Prem became so unrelentingly naff.

It's a bit like following a band I suppose - you wish them well and hope that they make enough money to stave off poverty, but you'd be devastated if they made it big, because that would mean sitting down the back of the O2 (or some other soul-destroying "arena") with a load of dribbling cretins baying for the "hits".

We're too cool for the Prem. 17,000? Make it 15,000. Plymouth Argyle - staying small and cliquey forever (hopefully).
But surely being a football fan you would like your team to achieve the highest status possible? The Premier League might not be what it used to be but I would do anything to see Argyle mix in with the big boys, even if it is a short spell.

May 22, 2006
Steve.PAFC2012":1a6qrs68 said:
Andrew Owen":1a6qrs68 said:

But surely being a football fan you would like your team to achieve the highest status possible?
Meh.

Apr 4, 2004
20,000 would be nice. But I'd be happy with the 18600 as planned in the original Barr design right now. Don't think either will happen. Our best chance is to be right up there in the promotion mix and get a couple of sell outs. The club will hate having to turn paying customers away. Just maybe then the whole thing will get looked at again.

N

NorfolkGreen

Ah it's nice to see the inability to accept others opinions without being rude or insulting has not gone away.

B

Baby Face Johnson

NorfolkGreen":1wy8h6lo said:
Ah it's nice to see the inability to accept others opinions without being rude or insulting has not gone away.

Who? The thread all looks relatively cordial to me, for a change.

Jan 27, 2012
What were the largest home gates during the first season back in the Championship under Williamson ? I know the average gate was pretty high. I think if Brent's proposed new mini-grandstand was built then, Argyle would have been locking fans out. I dont have the figures in front of me to be sure of my facts though.

B

BallboyEGS1958

Seeing lots of people are having various degrees of what type of stand we should or should not have, why not if this is all pie in the sky wishes go the whole way.
I go along with BFJ “sugar daddy option”
Knock down all that there at present and build a completely new setup that is fit for multiple use, which would suit the city of are size. Let’s build and have a multipurpose stadium now that sounds good to me, “after all it’s only someone else’s money being spent”

Oct 24, 2010
gaspargomez":ljpsfpvf said:
What were the largest home gates during the first season back in the Championship under Williamson ? I know the average gate was pretty high. I think if Brent's proposed new mini-grandstand was built then, Argyle would have been locking fans out. I dont have the figures in front of me to be sure of my facts though.
One third of the home gates were in excess of 17,000. This for me is the biggest argument against the new stand. The proposed capacity would have been far too small for that season and think how the gates would have increased if we had progressed and built a decent Championship side instead of struggling for most of our years in that league

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Agree with some Richard but let's not re-write history eh? Which is it? Holloway's fantastic team were within a sniff of the Prem, or we struggled??

I didn't see a lot of struggling out of those six years if I'm honest, I also didn't see rampaging attacking football from the mastermind that is Holloway either.

What I did see though was a team far better than the support it got from sleepy old Plymouth.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
IJN":3arhx521 said:
Agree with some Richard but let's not re-write history eh? Which is it? Holloway's fantastic team were within a sniff of the Prem, or we struggled??

I didn't see a lot of struggling out of those six years if I'm honest, I also didn't see rampaging attacking football from the mastermind that is Holloway either.

What I did see though was a team far better than the support it got from sleepy old Plymouth.

Agreed, it wasn't until that second to last year in the Championship that we actually "struggled". Steady progression up through the division is how I remember it, sadly upwards progression was met with falling attendances as the one dayers got tired of seeing former Premier League teams at Home Park.

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
Andrew Owen":2yy8w220 said:
Steve.PAFC2012":2yy8w220 said:
Andrew Owen":2yy8w220 said:

But surely being a football fan you would like your team to achieve the highest status possible?
Meh.

great resopnse but i kind of see where you are coming from.

I can see it now. Argyle v Man Utd, Premier league. Attendance 45,000 (away support 35,000, 33,000 of which live within 5 miles of the new sparkly ground called something cool like The Barclaycard Stadium)