Youngsters at Coach Road Tomorrow (Friday 7.30) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Youngsters at Coach Road Tomorrow (Friday 7.30)

Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
Fat_green_belly":t3ouaf77 said:
Yep. Thanks for the report.
This looks a really good result as they drew 0-0 with parkway recently and are fancied
to do well this season.
Also glyn hobbs and shane krac are well thought of at this level. If they
played of course. Also on the tavi website i recognised a few ex argyle names in
lewis coombes and dan evans? Also a pic of a jason vincent who may be the same boy
who was with us last season.
http://tavistockfc.com/team/
As for louis he may go out on loan this week. Hopefully over DAs 4 years we will
gradually see some of these boys come into the first team squad. Like gosling and
mason did back in the holloway era.

It was Ivybridge last night, not Tavistock.

David_Fisher":3qa01eh7 said:
Fat_green_belly":3qa01eh7 said:
This looks a really good result as they drew 0-0 with parkway recently and are fancied
to do well this season.
played of course. Also on the tavi website i recognised a few ex argyle names in
lewis coombes and dan evans? Also a pic of a jason vincent who may be the same boy
As for louis he may go out on loan this week. Hopefully over DAs 4 years we will
gradually see some of these boys come into the first team squad. Like gosling and

Oops! Where did i get tavi from?
There was a piece in the herald last week about em so it must
have etched itself in my brain. Not surprising. Plenty of space up there.
Ivybridge not so good then. W2 L5 now.
Crap performance then. Only joking.
Well done boys.

Feb 25, 2011
Saltash
Fat_green_belly":2n60c7cu said:
to do well this season.

I see little to suggest that DA will be looking to ensure our younger players make the breakthrough to 1st team football.

We didn't see it last year, we aren't seeing it this year (so far anyway).

If we don't see him looking to take a chance on youngsters as we look to secure promotion, I couldn't see us looking to give. a chance to youngsters if we were to be promoted.

Maybe there're not good enough (though personally I think it is hard to say that when they aren't being given a chance), are the players coming through of the right quality? Perhaps not.

Is that something that we can address?

Personally I think that one of the (many) things we need to have in place as a club, if we are to be successful, is an effective youth development system and right not that does not appear to be the case.

Perhaps in recent years when times have been hard we have not been able to focus on this area as much, maybe not things are on a slightly more 'even keel' (thanks to the hard work of JB and the current board) we could see developments in this area which bear fruit in years to come.

Everyone loves a homegrown youngster breaking through into the 1st team (don't they?)!

Phil Sloggett":2knay72d said:
Fat_green_belly":2knay72d said:
to do well this season.

I see little to suggest that DA will be looking to ensure our younger players make the breakthrough to 1st team football.

We didn't see it last year, we aren't seeing it this year (so far anyway).

If we don't see him looking to take a chance on youngsters as we look to secure promotion, I couldn't see us looking to give. a chance to youngsters if we were to be promoted.

Maybe there're not good enough (though personally I think it is hard to say that when they aren't being given a chance), are the players coming through of the right quality? Perhaps not.

Is that something that we can address?

Personally I think that one of the (many) things we need to have in place as a club, if we are to be successful, is an effective youth development system and right not that does not appear to be the case.

Perhaps in recent years when times have been hard we have not been able to focus on this area as much, maybe not things are on a slightly more 'even keel' (thanks to the hard work of JB and the current board) we could see developments in this area which bear fruit in years to come.

Everyone loves a homegrown youngster breaking through into the 1st team (don't they?)!
Yep i would love to see a complete team of local boys not just 1 or 2.
Gosling and mason played for us at championship level so i dont think we should rule out
youngsters making it in div1 although the standard in all leagues does seem higher now.
Now we are back at SWPL level again i am hoping that we return to that period of successful
youth to pro rate that we had back with holloway. Lots of boys coming through about that time. Leonard and laird?
Morrison? Last season was really all about getting us back up to this level again.
My guess is that when the boys attain a certain level then we will loan them out like we did with ashley barnes.
Tisdale does it all the time now. He had some down truro last season. Dorchester previously. A striker reid
already out to torquay. If we dont do this then i will start to agree with you about DA although gosling and mason
didnt go out on loan. So it isnt essential i guess.
I am a bit disappointed that louis isnt already out but i guess DA is looking at all these new strikers first
comparing. Also disappointed tisdale already in with TUFC as thats the level louis would most benefit from.
Lee hodges is at truro again now so maybe he will end up there. We need to up the standard if they improve.
Mind you he might get games in the checkacrap. If we are allowed to play a weakened team of course.
Overall i think we might have to be a bit patient as it all beds in.
A good thing to remember is how our youth development benefits the local leagues with good quality
players. Shown by some of the names i mentioned above. Feel quite proud of that.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Better for his development that he plays 60-90 minutes for the youth than sits for 90 on the bench in Blackpool. Ironically the Niron call up may hinder his first team chances - if he isn't available he cant be built into the side. He may have got a run out in the trophy.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
At least, Ben Purrington got his chance today and, if Gary Sawyer's injury is likely to keep him out for a while, I would assume that Purrington will continue in the LB/LWB position and will have the opportunity to cement a place in the side.

May 8, 2011
I do find it odd that the moans on here that local lads don't get a chance in the first team seem to ignore that Ben Purrington ( the same age as Rooney) is regularly in the first team squad and regularly plays.
It seems almost that people forget he is local.

Feb 25, 2011
Saltash
HC Green":34qdkzhx said:
I do find it odd that the moans on here that local lads don't get a chance in the first team seem to ignore that Ben Purrington ( the same age as Rooney) is regularly in the first team squad and regularly plays.

A good point, brilliant news. Hopefully Sawyer recovers from his injury soon but would love to see Purrington have an extended run in the team.

Feb 28, 2016
HC Green":3u7is41e said:

I don't forget he is an Exonian, although I think you have a point, I think people do forget about him in general, not just that he come through the ranks. I have often argued (although perhaps not on here), that in my opinion he is the most undervalued and underappreciated player (by both management and supporters) that I've known in my 18 years of regular Home park attendance.

His development and the opportunities afforded to him have been marginally better then most in recent years and he is now the last man standing from a really strong year group(Rooney is a year below, however if the DOBs on the internet are right then there is only 4 months between them). I certainly wouldn't say he plays regularly enough and he is no more regularly in the first team squad than Harvey was and like Harvey, he racks up a fair few appearances as being an 80th minute sub . He has had two good runs. I think he can consider himself hard done by that Holms-Dennis leaped frogged him in the pecking order. (If we had re-signed Kellett than I think it would have been fair that he would have had to wait for his chance/fight to get his shirt back and then fight to keep it) however I think Purrington was the better option out of him and THD at the time.

Last season many argued that there would be "competition" between him and Sawyer, what we saw was Purrington being used as cover for a Sawyer. Sawyer lost the shirt when he got suspended, Purrington played a blinder against Exeter in the LDV, won the shirt, if it were true competition between them, should have kept it until he got injured/suspended or made an howler or two deserving of being dropped. Instead he was dropped the very next game.

We know what we're going to get with Sawyer a fairly reliable, plodder. Although for my money he is starting to look slow and he's not going to keep going too much longer, we might get another season or two out of him. Or we could try someone who potentially could be a lot better player and I would emphasise potentially, who could go on to be a valuable asset to the club for the next decade or more. I think that is the cross roads we are at, which is why I'm disappointed Purrington hasn't started the season as first choice because I think if he is not happy with his chances this year, there will not be any more "given it another year to see what happens" . I think he will be off even if offered a contract and even if it means stepping down. We will be left with Sawyer fast approaching the knacker's yard. There is no recognised left back in either the Development Professional lads or the second year apprentices, under the current set up Law is at least 3 years from getting near the first team, so it looks like that position will be condemned to being filled by someone from the outside.

I also think in these days of squad numbers not really meaning much, it was an unnecessary and ill disposed gesture to strip Purrington of the number 3 shirt.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
I don't think people have forgotten Purrington at all, I think people think he deserves more of a chance than he's been getting and it's frustrating seeing him left out when he could easily fill that gap.

Feb 28, 2016
Fat_green_belly":32v7iv6b said:
David_Fisher":32v7iv6b said:
Fat_green_belly":32v7iv6b said:
to do well this season.

Oops! Where did i get tavi from?
There was a piece in the herald last week about em so it must
have etched itself in my brain. Not surprising. Plenty of space up there.
Ivybridge not so good then. W2 L5 now.
Crap performance then. Only joking.
Well done boys.

:lol:

It is the same Jason Vincent. I expect him to score when we play them, I had a gut feeling we would release him but I could understand him being hacked off, I believe he equalled Rooney's total of the previous season in the youth league.

Aug 12, 2015
mark you have overlooked the fact that jack calver has been playing left back in the peninsula this season and has played there on many occasions

Feb 28, 2016
Greenarmy1969":o54v7hhl said:
mark you have overlooked the fact that jack calver has been playing left back in the peninsula this season and has played there on many occasions

Yes he has and he has been decent there to so it was by no means an intended overlook of or an insult to Jack, who I rate very highly. However I believe his preferred position is midfield and its where he played Friday.

Aug 5, 2016
I like Calver too but feel he may have a better chance of progressing at left back than midfield due to what we have in place and what we have coming through the youth ranks. I really like the current set of second years who have been together a long time and gained considerable success together. It will be interesting to see what the next step might be for the development players Calver, Steer, Miller and Palfrey? Also the next step for the second years.

Feb 28, 2016
Dazzer":3i2tvd1m said:
I like Calver too but feel he may have a better chance of progressing at left back than midfield due to what we have in place and what we have coming through the youth ranks. I really like the current set of second years who have been together a long time and gained considerable success together. It will be interesting to see what the next step might be for the development players Calver, Steer, Miller and Palfrey? Also the next step for the second years.

It's certainly going to help I would agree, Centre Mid has really for some time now been where we've bringing lads through in quantity and quality. I think Jack can hold his own against everyone else there and compete with them but like you said if he can really make LB his own then there is less competition there so in theory could increase his odds. I think since Harvey left, for my money Calver is now the best free kick taker on the books to.

That's what Bill Palfrey successfully did, converted to RB from midfield after Mason Hughes left the setup. He has been a revelation there and looks like he is the Captain for that team now. I certainly thought from what I saw of him the last 2 years I thought he was one of our most improved players and I've spoken to a few people now, who saw more of them then I did last season, that were a bit surprised he didn't get offered a full pro contract. Which I think speaks volumes for him.

It is going to be interesting to see what happens to those boys on the new development contracts is going to be. I would have thought it should have been registering them so they could be in contention for the FL Trophy. (I've heard nothing to suggest we have done this.)

As for the second years I would imagine that they will wait and see what happens to those 4 before deciding to sign one themselves! I wouldn't be surprised sadly to see more people turning down contracts as Jones did this season.