Youngsters at Coach Road Tomorrow (Friday 7.30) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Youngsters at Coach Road Tomorrow (Friday 7.30)

Aug 5, 2016
I like Calver but a bit light in the midfield for me and needs to keep it simple a bit more. Always looking for the worldly pass rather than keeping it simple. Strikes a nice deadball, did not think it was his best night Friday but a very good goal. I really like Palfrey and was also surprised he did not sign professional terms. He looks the most likely of the four I think.

The second years look very strong this year right the way through. I think Bentley, Battle, Richards, Fletcher sand Rooney in particular have stood out for me in the under 18, pre season and Peninsular games that I have seen last season and this. The pack behind look good too but less consistent. Some very difficult decisions for the club and as you say can imagine a few of them not being happy with a development contract with little to no link to the first team. We shall see.

Aug 12, 2015
having watched many youth games I disagree that calver is to light for a midfield player he has stood his ground with many players much bigger than himself Exeter away luke bowl last year great example and his range of passing is excellent so why not use it but agree palfrey has come on leaps and bounds but still think all four will struggle to get any game time they don't train with first team so are not in adams window every day

Aug 5, 2016
Yes I agree if they are not training with the first team etc then you wonder the direction of travel at the end of this season for these four players. Don't know how many scouts are or will be attending Peninsular games. Tough one for the boys but at least they are still part of the set up at this point.

Feb 28, 2016
Greenarmy1969":1y4x26nt said:
having watched many youth games I disagree that calver is to light for a midfield player he has stood his ground with many players much bigger than himself Exeter away luke bowl last year great example and his range of passing is excellent so why not use it but agree palfrey has come on leaps and bounds but still think all four will struggle to get any game time they don't train with first team so are not in adams window every day

I had heard this as well which does beg the question, where the "Professional" part of Professional-Development comes into it. Would also agree bout Calver I think he is pretty hard tackler and more than holds his own. I was particularly impressed with him doing that on another occasion as well as the one you mention against a big U18 Oxford last season at Seale Hayne. I would have said Taylor was the one who, if anybody was light in midfield however he seems to have really bulked up a bit.

Dazzer, I think your right the second years are all real quality, I would add that Sam Ryan always stood out for me whenever I've seen him so I hope he can come back from his injury the same player. I think McAuley has got off to a really good start.

With regards to the first years I think they'll get the consistency in time it'll come as they build confidence and concentration . I've been particularly impressed with Elliott Crawford at Centre Half and Mike Cooper the Keeper so far.