Your scouting network. | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Your scouting network.

Aug 10, 2006
posh have done this for a good few years spent money on non league players played them and then sold them on for big money, we have had good young players in the past but for what ever reason mangers won't give them a good run in the team, Ashley barnes is a good example not good enough for mariner yet playing regular football in the premier league.
PLAY FLETCHER AND HE WILL SCORE HE WON'T IF HE'S SAT ON THE BENCH.

lyndhurst green":3oy2imrz said:
Fat_green_belly":3oy2imrz said:
Nooney and george somebody from southport?
3 of them went on to be sold for big money.
Worth a try.

George Donnelly. Knocked around the FL for a bit, now playing for AFC Liverpool ...no, me neither.

Players all sold for big money. Not by Argyle. But by the teams who picked at us when the administrators came calling.
Thanks LG thats him. I kept on thinking landon for some reason but i am sure he was in shiltons era.
Yep unfortunately admin hit us hard in lots of ways.

Mar 23, 2008
Think if you get someone from non league you can also get someone different, with a certain style and spirit ala Vardy. Football has become very coached and sterile and sometimes the raw spirit and desire of a mon league player can really add something, Blissetts battling lifter the crowd last night for example.

Sep 6, 2006
Fat_green_belly":2adf3oru said:
We did this in luggys second stint.
Andy king was the scout at the time. Sadly passed away now if memory serves me correctly.
Nooney and george somebody from southport? Bolasie from malta and jamie mackie from another more
crappy non league outfit. 3 of them went on to be sold for big money.
Worth a try.

I think Bolasie was spotted by some bloke on holiday in Malta! However Adams certainly doesn't seem to have contacts overseas. Halmosi, Buzacky etc weren't bad were they?

Oct 24, 2013
Deacster":2jkz3kjx said:
Think if you get someone from non league you can also get someone different, with a certain style and spirit ala Vardy. Football has become very coached and sterile and sometimes the raw spirit and desire of a mon league player can really add something, Blissetts battling lifter the crowd last night for example.

And yet the latest post of the 'Brief Synopsis' thread talks about him as a National League reject. We Argyle fans can't agree on anything!

Aug 3, 2017
Do not forget Ashley Barnes on the Argyle non-league purchases.

Sadly, we have no money to pay for people which makes scouting non-league impossible.

I think the Posh are the Southampton of the football league. Develop players, sell them for a decent price. What was it Ā£22m on 8 player sales, right? That's a lot of money to reinvest.

With our administration sadly, we let all our talent leave for pennies.

Ashley Barnes, Jamie Mackie, Yannick Bolasie, Joe Mason, Jason Punchoun, Christian Walton, Lloyd Jones, Jack Stephens and Ryan Leonard. I do not think for those 9 players we got Ā£1.5m for the lot!

Apr 15, 2016
Posh also have Barry Fry, who's always had an eye for a striker. And they have developed and sold on shedloads in the last decade (Washington, Assombalonga etc). If I were a non-league striker, I'd be hoping they'd come in for me.

Let's hope Blissett is the first of a line of successes for us

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Oct 31, 2010
We have a Chief Scout, Gregg Strong, so presumably there are other scouts reporting to him.

Sep 28, 2003
London
lyndhurst green":17w08y6b said:
Deacster":17w08y6b said:

And yet the latest post of the 'Brief Synopsis (sponsored by Goldbergs Solicitors)' thread talks about him as a National League reject. We Argyle fans can't agree on anything!

Because he's 27, and wasn't exactly banging them in for Torquay in the Conference. That's not the kind of player that we're lamenting missing out on.

999mattyg

āœ… Evergreen
šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
Andy Holland":3nufbg72 said:
A good point raised about our scouting network though.

Why don't we ever get these promising young players in from lower leagues like other clubs do? Instead we're signing players like Blissett, who although he tried hard is simply not good enough for league football, let alone to lead the line for a League 1 club.

We picked up Noone and Barnes from non league years ago, where are these kinds of signings now?

I'll tell you why! It's because there are so many bleddy premier league scouts in the SW! The region is crawling with them! They snap up all the talent. If a kid has a chance to sign on with Soton, or any other of the fricking corporate
so called football teams, over Argyle we will lose out the majority of the time!

Jul 30, 2015
Plymouth
Peterborough haven't been lingering in the bottom league for the last few years. Give us a few years of stability and we'll be back to spending money on players. For now, it's not right. We've got the tools to stay up, let's not panic.

Aug 3, 2017
PL2 3DQ":1lfmrwk6 said:
We have a Chief Scout, Gregg Strong, so presumably there are other scouts reporting to him.

Strong gets sent to watch our upcoming opponents. I'm not sure he is scouring the non-league for any gems.

Jul 13, 2006
If only we had a successful ex manager nearby who clearly had an eye for a young player we could employ.
Oh yes, we have. That's too bloody logical and makes far too much sense. Why don't we employ him as head of Sponsorship- that"ll teach him!
Its interesting you talking about the Prem teams and the hold they have. I recently had a look around Millfield School- incredible facilities and coaches. Their past pupils are listed and it's like a who's who of sporting talent. Anyway they are linked with Southampton.

Balham_Green":2uur4xsh said:
Fat_green_belly":2uur4xsh said:
We did this in luggys second stint.
Andy king was the scout at the time. Sadly passed away now if memory serves me correctly.
Nooney and george somebody from southport? Bolasie from malta and jamie mackie from another more
crappy non league outfit. 3 of them went on to be sold for big money.
Worth a try.

I think Bolasie was spotted by some bloke on holiday in Malta! However Adams certainly doesn't seem to have contacts overseas. Halmosi, Buzacky etc weren't bad were they?
Yep, they were all great signings BG. Im sure akos came under bobby williamson but hardly
featured for us(mainly pulis) until holloway turned up. Then i think akos was involved in some way in
persuading timar and halmosi to join us here. All 3 were brilliant for us.
From memory DA did sign quite a few from overseas for ross county towards the end of his tenure there. In fact their
fans were arguing that he brought in to many up there and broke his successful team up to quickly. He has also signed this dutch keeper for us this season.
Also, i forgot to mention earlier that we brought in punch from barnet who were conference at the time during that spell with andy king as scout. He also later went for big bucks. We were definately targetting lower league players at that time.

Princerock

ā™£ļø PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
Has anyone mentioned Paul Mariner from Chorley in 1973....who scouted him ?