Jack Leslie statue | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Jack Leslie statue

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I'm almost certain this has been done before, but what a great statement it would be for Argyle to include a statue or memorial of Jack Leslie in the new stand. 132 goals in 384 games puts him in the top 5 (at the very least) of best ever Argyle players, but of course, he was also the only black professional player in the entire country during his time here. Do we make enough of this? Our name is unique, our location is unique, our under-achieving nature is unique, what an amazing, positive and inclusive statement to make clear to the world we also dismissed the racial prejudices of the time when other clubs buckled. A man who would have been the first black player to represent England but for the ignorance of the FA in the 20s.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/southwest/series6//jack_leslie.shtml

Argyle co-ordinator Peter Hall reminisces about the times he saw Leslie play.

"On August 26, 1933 - I was six years old - we played Manchester Utd and won 4-1.

"I always remember that Jack Leslie played a huge part in that win - it was a real treat to watch him play.

"He was everywhere, his passing was first class, and his shooting power was enormous. If there ever was an Argyle legend, it was Jack Leslie."

A

admisc

If we were to have a statue or something similar, it would certainly be a toss up between Jack Leslie and Bob Jack. Sadly it seems highly unlikely now, but it would have been great to have an Argyle museum of some sort in the new stand. With a history as relatively undistinguished as ours, it isn't celebrated to the extent it probably should be.

Bob Jack was Argyle's first ever professional player and went on to manage the club for 29 years, including taking the club into the Football League for the first time. But how many people have actually heard of him? I really think a good, fun museum celebrating the past would help to create a stronger identity among Argyle fans, particularly for younger Greens.

Mar 9, 2011
crownhillpilgrim":1nwvtoad said:
would love to see this... could be anice Pasoti closed season campaign. A Kickstarter campaign maybe?

Wonder what the costs would be for something like this? Pretty expensive I would have thought.

Jack Leslie is way before my time, but having read the link above, he would make a good choice if ever there was a time something like this could be done.

T

Tynan's Dad

These are the types of things we should be looking at for any new development.

Perhaps a 'Decades' monument in the style of Mount Rushmore with one key person from each decade of our existence, built into the wall of the new stand. Along with a museum and sports bar. Facilities that would benefit the club, such as a gym and hotel (to house trialists, opposition team, etc) that could also be used by Joe Public.

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
:thumbup:

Completely agree.

Think it's a terrific idea, and though there are of course other candidates for a statue, I think the symbolic nature of Jack Leslie would make it a very positive move.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
admisc":1kbeqsi1 said:
If we were to have a statue or something similar, it would certainly be a toss up between Jack Leslie and Bob Jack. Sadly it seems highly unlikely now, but it would have been great to have an Argyle museum of some sort in the new stand. With a history as relatively undistinguished as ours, it isn't celebrated to the extent it probably should be.

Bob Jack was Argyle's first ever professional player and went on to manage the club for 29 years, including taking the club into the Football League for the first time. But how many people have actually heard of him? I really think a good, fun museum celebrating the past would help to create a stronger identity among Argyle fans, particularly for younger Greens.

Obviously a great shout for Bob Jack. But Leslie gets my vote for the incredible message it sends out. To think he was close to being the first ever black England player an astonishing 50 years before Viv Anderson, is truly remarkable. That this club gave him that opportunity in a toxic environment for non-whites is something we should have shouted from the rooftops about a lot more, especially given the stereotypical (and false, in my experience) image of Devon and Cornwall as backwards. What better symbol for a forward-looking, progressive, family club?

A museum would be the ideal scenario, but it certainly doesn't look good from the plans. Perhaps if we can renegotiate the 0 in 6 retail units after (hopefully) the ice rink moves to Cottage Field, it could be a goer....

A

admisc

Biggs":20svdvlq said:
admisc":20svdvlq said:

Obviously a great shout for Bob Jack. But Leslie gets my vote for the incredible message it sends out. To think he was close to being the first ever black England player an astonishing 50 years before Viv Anderson, is truly remarkable. That this club gave him that opportunity in a toxic environment for non-whites is something we should have shouted from the rooftops about a lot more, especially given the stereotypical (and false, in my experience) image of Devon and Cornwall as backwards. What better symbol for a forward-looking, progressive, family club?

A museum would be the ideal scenario, but it certainly doesn't look good from the plans. Perhaps if we can renegotiate the 0 in 6 retail units after (hopefully) the ice rink moves to Cottage Field, it could be a goer....

Agree with all of that. Whoever was chosen, I think a campaign to raise awareness and interest in that person's story among fans and the wider community would be needed. Sadly Jack Leslie doesn't hold the same iconic status among fans as those who've been given statues at other clubs (Stanley Matthews at Stoke, Brian Clough at Derby, Michael Jackson at Fulham :lol: ).

I think you make a good point in the section I've highlighted, and a Jack Leslie statue and associated media campaign could hopefully give Janners something to be proud of regarding the club and go some way to combatting Argyle's position as a laughing stock among many Plymouthians.

Jan 27, 2012
Good idea. I would like to see something for Bob Jack as well, though. At least a flippin mural of people from that era.

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
gaspargomez":5v91sz87 said:
Good idea. I would like to see something for Bob Jack as well, though. At least a flippin mural of people from that era.

I think, as has been stated before many times, that a mural of these players is a very tricky task due to the lack of high quality photographs available....it was the 1920s/30s after all....

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
jespafc":2jtmzs1a said:
gaspargomez":2jtmzs1a said:

I think, as has been stated before many times, that a mural of these players is a very tricky task due to the lack of high quality photographs available....it was the 1920s/30s after all....

so there are only 6 people alive who ever saw them in the flesh?
so not many people to say: ' looks nothing like him!'. :think:
in which case do an approximation, it's the thought that counts!!

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
admisc":2nxetk6p said:

Bob Jack would be my choice, as has been discussed on other threads.

Cardiff City unveiled a Fred Keenor statue after some fundraising by the Cardiff City Supporters Trust and statue appeal committee raised the £85,000 needed. The money doesn't have to be raised by the time the stands ready as long as there's a space kept for it to go on. It's certainly possible.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-sout ... s-20276271