Jack Leslie statue | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Jack Leslie statue

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
MannameadGreen":2hn7nljx said:
I think a memorial to Leslie within the new stand would be incredible. Obviously, it recognises the history of our club, at a time when many are concerned that the new Grandstand will be soulless and generic. I would be fully supportive of a museum inside the Grandstand, probably in the concourse where the restaurants and cinema etc. will be located. It wouldn't have to be expensive to get in, season ticket holders in free possibly? I think a small museum that recognises the history of our club, along with a larger statue of Jack Leslie, would be a wonderful testament to history.

Leslie's story is poignant and interesting, a great account of one man's (and one club's) struggle against the torrent of racism from English football's bosses in the 1920s. As was said before, what better for a club, it would indicate us as being a progressive and forward-thinking club. In my opinion, Leslie's story is one of the stories of struggles against racism that unfortunately has been left untold, because he played for an unfashionable team in the 1920s, whilst many can remember Viv Anderson etc. from their playing days, so more people have heard of him. The club should promote Leslie's story, and in a time where racism is a hot topic within English football, we can show that we are wholly against it.

100% MG.

999mattyg

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
Andy_S":2whut25c said:
I love the idea of a statue for Jack Leslie. I also like the idea of a museum.

It was only a few years ago that Plymouth Museum had a huge display of Argyle memorabilia on display...surely that stuff, via loans etc., could find it's way to a permanent home in the new grandstand complex?

I hate the idea of a "black footballer/sportsmen" museum, as I do with the "black solicitors/police officers associations".

Come on people, these are sportsmen and women who happen to be black, white, pink, yellow, straight, gay, christian, muslim, jew.

It really doesn't matter one iota their colour/creed/religion or anything else...celebrate their existence and for gracing us with their abilities.

A JL statue is great idea and it does matter. This man was called up to play for England until they found out he was a black player. Racism is still around. Whilst I agree with your last sentence, the statement this sends out is too good to ignore. Plymouth Argyle Football Club, one of the first inclusive clubs in the football league! Outstanding!

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
999mattyg":2zq1ile8 said:
Andy_S":2zq1ile8 said:

It was only a few years ago that Plymouth Museum had a huge display of Argyle memorabilia on display...surely that stuff, via loans etc., could find it's way to a permanent home in the new grandstand complex?

I hate the idea of a "black footballer/sportsmen" museum, as I do with the "black solicitors/police officers associations".

Come on people, these are sportsmen and women who happen to be black, white, pink, yellow, straight, gay, christian, muslim, jew.

It really doesn't matter one iota their colour/creed/religion or anything else...celebrate their existence and for gracing us with their abilities.

A JL statue is great idea and it does matter. This man was called up to play for England until they found out he was a black player. Racism is still around. Whilst I agree with your last sentence, the statement this sends out is too good to ignore. Plymouth Argyle Football Club, one of the first inclusive clubs in the football league! Outstanding!

I'm with you all the way Mattyg.

My comment was in reply to someone who was suggesting that Argyle have a "black footballers museum", hence my comments about the colour of a player's skin shouldn't matter, we should celebrate who they are not what they are.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Andy_S":ymggi015 said:
999mattyg":ymggi015 said:
Andy_S":ymggi015 said:

My comment was in reply to someone who was suggesting that Argyle have a "black footballers museum", hence my comments about the colour of a player's skin shouldn't matter, we should celebrate who they are not what they are.

That was me, a little bit over the top yes, but an exhibit on the subject in any Argyle museum would be more than appropriate. I did start the thread in the first place so you can let me off :angel:

Such an irresistiible symbol for the club though, Bob Jack would be one of the other few perfect candidates, but Leslie holds national and worldwide appeal. I mean, you could quite easily see a film being made about his story. Of course, you could say 'who cares about that, Bob Jack deserves it more', but it's something to think about if PAFC are looking at creating even more of a positive identity

999mattyg

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
Pafcintheplace":3gef0oss said:
If anyone is worthy of a statue it should be Tommy Tynan IMO

Whilst TT is a club legend, it wouldn't make the same international statement that a statue to Jack Leslie would. It could also be argued that Jack Cock or Wilf Carter are as notable as TT.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Biggs":3bvtzo61 said:
Andy_S":3bvtzo61 said:
999mattyg":3bvtzo61 said:
Andy_S":3bvtzo61 said:

That was me, a little bit over the top yes, but an exhibit on the subject in any Argyle museum would be more than appropriate. I did start the thread in the first place so you can let me off :angel:

Such an irresistiible symbol for the club though, Bob Jack would be one of the other few perfect candidates, but Leslie holds national and worldwide appeal. I mean, you could quite easily see a film being made about his story. Of course, you could say 'who cares about that, Bob Jack deserves it more', but it's something to think about if PAFC are looking at creating even more of a positive identity

Oh ok then...if you insist! :lol: