Jack Leslie statue | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Jack Leslie statue

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Agree with the Bob Jack idea too, but I just think the symbolism of Jack Leslie is irresistible. I'm really surprised the club haven't made more of this in the past and present.

You could even argue his presence at the club would perhaps even justify a small black footballers/sportsmen museum. Fascinating subject, not been done before to my knowledge, and what other club would it be more suitable for? A statue will do for now though, would love to see it done

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
I love the idea of a statue for Jack Leslie. I also like the idea of a museum.

It was only a few years ago that Plymouth Museum had a huge display of Argyle memorabilia on display...surely that stuff, via loans etc., could find it's way to a permanent home in the new grandstand complex?

I hate the idea of a "black footballer/sportsmen" museum, as I do with the "black solicitors/police officers associations".

Come on people, these are sportsmen and women who happen to be black, white, pink, yellow, straight, gay, christian, muslim, jew.

It really doesn't matter one iota their colour/creed/religion or anything else...celebrate their existence and for gracing us with their abilities.

Dec 3, 2005
jespafc":33pdln76 said:
gaspargomez":33pdln76 said:
Good idea. I would like to see something for Bob Jack as well, though. At least a flippin mural of people from that era.

I think, as has been stated before many times, that a mural of these players is a very tricky task due to the lack of high quality photographs available....it was the 1920s/30s after all....

A mural is best painted anyhow, just ask the Romans lol

There must be a budding artist amonst us or even suggest it to the University (Art and Design) get the University involved and some may even set their sat nav's for HP for a match.

Apr 15, 2008
London
Andy_S":314rdy21 said:

It was only a few years ago that Plymouth Museum had a huge display of Argyle memorabilia on display...surely that stuff, via loans etc., could find it's way to a permanent home in the new grandstand complex?

I hate the idea of a "black footballer/sportsmen" museum, as I do with the "black solicitors/police officers associations".

Come on people, these are sportsmen and women who happen to be black, white, pink, yellow, straight, gay, christian, muslim, jew.

It really doesn't matter one iota their colour/creed/religion or anything else...celebrate their existence and for gracing us with their abilities.

That's the whole point - it doesn't matter now, but it certainly did then. The prejudice he had to face teaches us a lot about the past.

And, why should a black solicitors/policeman/sportsman association bother you in the slightest?

Jan 27, 2012
Forget about all this "black" stuff- players like Leslie deserve a mural for who they are on football merit. Not because he is black. The teams of the 1920s and 30s were very successful, certainly better than our current bunch. And Bob Jack was the main man in the early days of pro football in Plymouth. Keep Home Park about football and not other things.

justanotherfan

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Why not Jack Leslie and Sammy Black together, what a partnership, 320 goals between them. In the case of a mural, googling Jack Leslie brings up some reasonable images.

Jan 27, 2012
Sammy Black is a good shout. The more I think about it, the more I would like to see at least a mural of the main players of the 20s and 30s- and despite what another poster said there are some pretty good photos of them even on google images. I am sure someone like chris robinson would have even more. We are talking about some of the clubs best ever footballers here.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
crownhillpilgrim":vcwbsr52 said:
Andy_S":vcwbsr52 said:

That's the whole point - it doesn't matter now, but it certainly did then. The prejudice he had to face teaches us a lot about the past.

And, why should a black solicitors/policeman/sportsman association bother you in the slightest?

Because the colour of your skin, your ethnic background, your religion, your sexuality should NOT be a barrier to any organisation.

We all bleed red stuff.

Jul 6, 2011
Yes Jack Leslie was a great player, no odds about that, but it would be hard to pick a single player from those times. I mean think about it, Wilf Carter, Bill Short, Alex Govan, David Jack (Bob's son), 'Jumbo' Jack Chisholm, Sammy Black... the list goes on and on and we haven't even mentioned Paul Mariner, Ernie Machin or Johnny Williams.
I personally feel if we were to see a statue put up it would have to be an all time faithful like Bob Jack:

'He managed Southend United for four years before enjoying a twenty-eight-year spell with Plymouth Argyle, leading them into the Football League in 1920. Regarded as one of the Devon clubs greatest managers, he took them to the Third Division South title in 1929–30, after taking the club to second in the division for a remarkable sequence of six consecutive seasons.'

wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Jack

Man was a legend and he didn't run off when a bigger club recognised his talents

Jan 27, 2012
Some of the players you mention above are from the successful 1950s team.
But I would also like to see some recognition of the successful 1920s and 1930s players, and something certainly should be done about Bob Jack who really must have made a big contribution in the early years and was around as early as the 1900s !!

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
gaspargomez":rmyelt6t said:
Forget about all this "black" stuff- players like Leslie deserve a mural for who they are on football merit. Not because he is black. The teams of the 1920s and 30s were very successful, certainly better than our current bunch. And Bob Jack was the main man in the early days of pro football in Plymouth. Keep Home Park about football and not other things.

I agree that he is judged purely on football merit, roughly 150 goals in 400 games ensures that. I just think he's the perfect symbol for the club, and we could forget he was black, but he was. In an incredibly hostile environment, he was one of the top strikers in the country and people around the country really should be aware of him. I agree that it's the symbolism I like, rather than just his abilities, but hey, a statue should be a symbol shouldn't it?

I also strongly dislike the idea of black solicitors/lawyers associations etc, they create division and too often stand for positive discrimination. Discrimination is discrimination, full stop. But there's a world of difference between that, and an exhibit highlighting prejudice in the past and celebrating the achievements of pioneers like Leslie.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Biggs":3c1mki4q said:
gaspargomez":3c1mki4q said:

I agree that he is judged purely on football merit, roughly 150 goals in 400 games ensures that. I just think he's the perfect symbol for the club, and we could forget he was black, but he was. In an incredibly hostile environment, he was one of the top strikers in the country and people around the country really should be aware of him. I agree that it's the symbolism I like, rather than just his abilities, but hey, a statue should be a symbol shouldn't it?

I also strongly dislike the idea of black solicitors/lawyers associations etc, they create division and too often stand for positive discrimination. Discrimination is discrimination, full stop. But there's a world of difference between that, and an exhibit highlighting prejudice in the past and celebrating the achievements of pioneers like Leslie.

I can remember my grandfather telling me that Jack Leslie was treated very badly by the FA, at that time. Apparently, they didn't realise that he was black and as soon as the "secret" was out, there was a massive amount of pressure placed upon him...to give up his England call up.

Jul 6, 2011
gaspargomez":253whnoh said:
Some of the players you mention above are from the successful 1950s team.
But I would also like to see some recognition of the successful 1920s and 1930s players, and something certainly should be done about Bob Jack who really must have made a big contribution in the early years and was around as early as the 1900s !!

Obviously I'm just quoting players over the years who have stood out, but I agree the Bob Jack years were special and should be commemorated in some form.

I think a memorial to Leslie within the new stand would be incredible. Obviously, it recognises the history of our club, at a time when many are concerned that the new Grandstand will be soulless and generic. I would be fully supportive of a museum inside the Grandstand, probably in the concourse where the restaurants and cinema etc. will be located. It wouldn't have to be expensive to get in, season ticket holders in free possibly? I think a small museum that recognises the history of our club, along with a larger statue of Jack Leslie, would be a wonderful testament to history.

Leslie's story is poignant and interesting, a great account of one man's (and one club's) struggle against the torrent of racism from English football's bosses in the 1920s. As was said before, what better for a club, it would indicate us as being a progressive and forward-thinking club. In my opinion, Leslie's story is one of the stories of struggles against racism that unfortunately has been left untold, because he played for an unfashionable team in the 1920s, whilst many can remember Viv Anderson etc. from their playing days, so more people have heard of him. The club should promote Leslie's story, and in a time where racism is a hot topic within English football, we can show that we are wholly against it.