Messageboard Home  | Fantasy Football  | Predictions  | Club Info  | About P@SOTI  | Privacy Policy  
Until the end of season:

The Home Park refurbishment will be completed in It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The fine margins and key turning points...
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:37 pm 

Zoo Corner wrote:
I know many of you will be wallowing in despair, gazing into the distance out the window, sitting on your sofa miserable without the ability to communicate to loved ones all while your fingers start twitching as you grab your phone and log into social media to write another negative comment about anything PAFC related.

How many of you have really thought about your comments in a deeper context and questioned yourself if you would be writing the same comments if it wasn't for a slight change?

Perhaps Ladapos effort was ruled to cross the line yesterday?
Perhaps Sarcevic put away his chance 6 yards out against rovers?
The list goes on...
And now question the difference in what you would have been writing.

It is those fine margins that can turn a season around. We just haven't been fortunate (or skillful) enough to take advantage of those key moments. I have seen enough this season (think Coventry second half, rovers last 20 minutes , parts of Portsmouth second half) where I, and the rest of you would have seen that we do have the ability to be a good side and achieve something but we just haven't took advantage of our opportunities.

When we eventually do, which could be Saturday. We will start building momentum. There may be moments when we return into a bad run of form but remember, that will be temporarily.

So, please try to think about things in a wider context at this early stage of the season and have some faith.

**looking forward to receiving comments below which sums up the point I'm making above **

I am not a frequent poster on these boards. I am definitely what others would label a 'green-tint'. I agree that there are fine margins in games and I am all up for optimism and support (e.g. while I am by nature not a hugely vocal supporter, I never jeer, never boo, never leave early and try to remain positive).

I was away on holiday for the first home game of the season. However, I thought that in the first-half against Wycombe Wanderers we looked quite good. Canavan did not have a lot of pace but I felt that he had a good footballing brain and his distribution was good. I was not overly impressed with the full-backs but thought they were as good if not better than what we had last year - though Sawyer would still have been my choice. It looked as if Wycombe might score and all the more so as we defended deeper and deeper and when they brought on the man-mountain that is Akinfenwa it was not such a surprise that the almost inevitable happened.

Against Peterborough United we were undone by two costly and very early mistakes. Macey, the young goalkeeper, who had made a good start to the season made a real howler, followed by, in my opinion, a worse mistake from Canavan, and down 2-0 to the top-of-the-league side who looked on their game and the match was all but over. I know we went from bad to worse but perhaps the score-line was a little harsh.

But yesterday, against Blackpool, it all looked very different. The loss of Ness, probably our best player so far this season, before the game, and Canavan early on were bound to have some impact, but we should have a big enough squad to cope with these things - after all, later in the season when injuries and suspensions kick-in we need at least 15-18 players ready to step up and play a dozen or so games.

The Bradley-Vyner partnership was a cut above League 1 standards. I don't see that being replicated unless we bring someone quick on the ground into the back four. Hopefully, we can bring in a loanee who will offer what Vyner offered last year. It doesn't mean he will be perfect (Vyner made some mistakes) but he needs to be quicker than what we have.

We all know the difference that Diagouraga made to our midfield composure last year. Again, we need a loanee who can bring some composure to the midfield. Carey and Lameiras are the sort of players who play well in winning teams. Fox has been a great player but is struggling with his age. Songo'o (probably my man of the match yesterday) has a role to play in the squad but, despite a brilliant 40 yard pass yesterday, does not bring composure and distribution to the midfield. I would have to say much the same for Sarcevic.

I am on the fence regarding Ladapo - he had a good game yesterday and could have so nearly scored with a clever back-heel but he is being asked to do a very demanding job (lone front runner), often against two big strong centre backs, with very little protection from the match officials. I think Taylor is a great player - whether or not he is fully fit I couldn't say. However, he is basically a non-shooting, rarely-scoring target-man and not set-up to be a prolific goal-scorer. That's okay, providing that people to whom he is distributing the ball (normally well in my view) are going to hit the target, which clearly they are not. Joel Grant also had a reasonable game yesterday but I don't think he is the answer.

While confidence counts for a tremendous amount in any team, and we are very low on that, there were three things yesterday that really disturbed me.

1. When Wootton came on for Canavan, he and Edwards looked as if they had never met. Things improved a little but unfortunately Blackpool had scored by then.

2. With about half an hour to go, Adams brought on Taylor and Lameiras - I don't think many people would have disagreed with that. But Ladapo was having a good game and while like-for-like substitutions can sometimes be necessary, when you are losing 1-0 at home to a poor team, it's not a matter of freshening things up in the hope of snatching an equalizer (as it can sometimes be when you are playing well against a good side and just need to tweak things a bit) but a matter of needing a complete change. We had plenty of possession but certainly weren't doing much with it.

3. With a few minutes to go they had two players sent off - a belated if unexpected last straw of hope. Our response, however, was not to run at them and try to find holes but to let them but all nine remaining players back in their box and lump long balls in there. I am no master tactician (like some on these boards!) but surely most people can see that was clueless?

Just because we had a great run after a poor start last season is not guarantee that we will have a great run after a poor start this season. You tend to know what your challenges are after 10 games. That will come all-too-quickly now. I am not necessarily saying that Adams is not up to the job (Pellegrini at West Ham United is in a similar situation, albeit at a different level) but I am saying that, after yesterday's performance, I am worried and I am hoping that we can get two or three more players in.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:37 pm 

The team have to win back over the supporters not the other way round.

They need to go out under the leadership of Adams and Co and show us what they want to do the seAson.

The support is and always will be there in core but boy do they need to match us right now.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:40 pm 

It's 1 win in our last 15 now.

Unfortunately I don't think that's down to 'fine margins', if it were no wins in 4 or 5 maybe, but 15?

We simply haven't been good enough.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:05 pm 
Auction Winner, Player Sponsor #1 18/19, Player Sponsor #2 18/19, PALFC Sponsor #1 18/19 and PALFC Sponsor #2 18/19

Yesterday we should have been 2 down before they scored. Their miss/slice wide and header over from 6 yards out were clear cut chances which if we'd missed I'd be upset about.

We weren't at the races for the first 15 minutes. They attacked down our right at will - at one point I wondered if our back 4 had ever played together as they were like strangers who had never met. They kept finding their number 9 and luckily he was poor or things could have been much worse.

Our hoofball tactic is failing miserably. Even in our darkest days last season we tried to play through midfield.

It's going to be another long winter if things don't go our way soon but I'm still convinced there's 4 teams worse than us in this league - we just don't know who they are yet.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:15 pm 

Football changes so, so quickly. And often unexpectedly.

There’ll be teams out there who’ve made a flying start to the season, who will drop like a stone as the months go by.

Likewise, there’ll be teams including Argyle, who can’t buy a win at the moment but WILL improve and do well this season.

We’ve finished top 7 in the last three years, and we know we have quality League One players (the front three especially) despite the noises on this forum.

In my view, the greater threat to us is panicking and ripping it all up to risk something much worse, rather than patience and sticking with the proven manager and team to get it right.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:33 pm 

GreenThing wrote:
Balham_Green wrote:
GreenThing wrote:
Balham_Green wrote:
GreenThing wrote:
Balham_Green wrote:
And if my aunt had testicles...
Excuses aren't good enough. It's blatantly obvious to most the team is not playing well. You make your own luck.we could have been 2 or 3 down before Ladapo's effort.

.... or we could have been 2 or 3 up. If your Auntie had testicles works both way.

Just a small difficulty there. We did NOT create 2 or 3 chances. Apart from that a perfectly reasonable argument! ?!

We did, though. Sawyer was getting up the wing and getting crosses in. Those were chances that we should have capitalised on. It seems that a shot off target or saved are only classed as a chance, when a cross 6” too high is not seen as a chance, but is arguably a better chance than a long range shot.

We could have been 3 or 4 up, we could have been 4 or 5 down. Your Auntie could have balls, but your Uncle might also have nice tits.

The only thing that matters is that the crosses need someone on the end of them, shots need to be on target and if we’re going to insist on letting the opposition come onto us and defend inside the box, the defence have to win the headers. There’s only a few areas which are letting us down, key areas. Get them right and there’s not really much needed to turn the tanker around.

A cross is not a chance! Doesn't make any sense. If we had played better passed better crossed better shot better yes we could have been 3 or 4 up but quite unlikely with those players.

A cross is a chance. Put a cross into the area where the striker doesn’t connect with it is a just as much a chance as someone drilling it wide from 20yds. The work has been done, just the finish is missing.

None you are very confused. A chance is when there is a goal scoring opportunity not somebody out on the wing with the ball who needs to deliver to somebody us. If you don't understand that you haven't even got the basics

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:45 pm 
Site Admin, PALFC Sponsor #1 18/19 and Player Sponsor #1 18/19

I don’t understand the basics??? If someone crosses the ball into the area and someone fails to get his head on it, that is a chance that has been missed. I’m sorry that confuses you, but if you don’t understand the basics, what can I do?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:50 pm 

If only every time we'd kicked the ball towards the goal it had gone in. We'd be top of the league

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:22 pm 

GreenThing wrote:
I don’t understand the basics??? If someone crosses the ball into the area and someone fails to get his head on it, that is a chance that has been missed. I’m sorry that confuses you, but if you don’t understand the basics, what can I do?

OK so by your logic the cross by Riley that sailed into the Devonport End at least 30 foot above anyone goes down as a chance?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:29 pm 

up_the_line wrote:
GreenThing wrote:

OK so by your logic the cross by Riley that sailed into the Devonport End at least 30 foot above anyone goes down as a chance?

Yep should have scored from it?!!! Not even worth arguing with him.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:33 pm 
Site Admin, PALFC Sponsor #1 18/19 and Player Sponsor #1 18/19

Balham_Green wrote:
up_the_line wrote:
GreenThing wrote:

So by your logic, Paul Gascoine failing to get a touch on the low cross in the Euro 96 semis wasn’t a chance.

I’m not worth arguing with? Fair enough, sod off then.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:35 pm 

Shankster wrote:
Can’t polish a turd

And this team has a plethora of poor footballers. That’s the point

You can when they are really cold/frozen ..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:37 pm 

GreenThing wrote:
Balham_Green wrote:
up_the_line wrote:
GreenThing wrote:

So by your logic, Paul Gascoine failing to get a touch on the low cross in the Euro 96 semis wasn’t a chance.

I’m not worth arguing with? Fair enough, sod off then.

Ok so to follow your argument how many of those types of chances did we have before we hit the post?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next