The fine margins and key turning points... | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The fine margins and key turning points...

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Balham_Green":nfoa3av4 said:
I don't recognizer this analysis where we have missed loads of chances. One or two maybe. If you are at home and losing to an average side you would be completely useless not to create any chances at all. Chances were created v Posh but nowhere near as many as them so let's not delude ourselves. We are NOT dominating games in any way shape or form and deserve to be where we are.

Absolutely spot on.

Having more shots than your opponent in a game doesn't mean you created the better opportunities.

Against Blackpool, I only remember 1, perhaps 2 clear sights of goal, whereas Blackpool should have been out of sight after half an hour.

Against Peterborough, we had double the number of shots, but they scored 5, we scored 1, simply put they created quality opportunities, we didn't.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Cobi Budge":1m8flcm8 said:
Balham_Green":1m8flcm8 said:
I don't recognizer this analysis where we have missed loads of chances. One or two maybe. If you are at home and losing to an average side you would be completely useless not to create any chances at all. Chances were created v Posh but nowhere near as many as them so let's not delude ourselves. We are NOT dominating games in any way shape or form and deserve to be where we are.

Absolutely spot on.

Having more shots than your opponent in a game doesn't mean you created the better opportunities.

Against Blackpool, I only remember 1, perhaps 2 clear sights of goal, whereas Blackpool should have been out of sight after half an hour.

Against Peterborough, we had double the number of shots, but they scored 5, we scored 1, simply put they created quality opportunities, we didn't.

It raises the question as to just what point does a shot become a quality opportunity. I would argue that depends on who is actually shooting at the time.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I'd describe a quality opportunity as one where you'd expect there to be a 50% or more chance of the player scoring. Shot stats are therefore completely pointless, Songo'o had a 35 yard volley fly up to the roof in the Devonport, probably less than a 1% chance of that going in, but it still gets counted.