The fine margins and key turning points... | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The fine margins and key turning points...

Sep 6, 2006
GreenThing":nimpdg05 said:
Balham_Green"[quote="Balham_Green":nimpdg05 said:
GreenThing":nimpdg05 said:
Balham_Green":nimpdg05 said:
up_the_line":nimpdg05 said:
OK so by your logic the cross by Riley that sailed into the Devonport End at least 30 foot above anyone goes down as a chance?

Yep should have scored from it?!!! Not even worth arguing with him.

So by your logic, Paul Gascoine failing to get a touch on the low cross in the Euro 96 semis wasn’t a chance.

I’m not worth arguing with? Fair enough, sod off then.

Ok so to follow your argument how many of those types of chances did we have before we hit the post?

F’ing loads. I’m not worth arguing with so let’s leave it at that.

So we had 'loads' of the Gazza type chances before hitting the post in your opinion?! Hilarious. Watching a different game mate. You are right. Not worth arguing with.[/quote]

It was a bit of sarcasm as I lost interest in having a discussion with you when you waded in with the ‘not worth arguing with’ shyte. I’ll save it and have my conversations with the adults in future.[/quote]

With other people who think a cross is a chance perhaps! Lol

May 1, 2011
Quizmike":3aya8jaf said:
If only every time we'd kicked the ball towards the goal it had gone in. We'd be top of the league

Exactly and what Adams didn't acknowledge was that Blackpool had far more chances than us.

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
I fully agree with the doctrine of 'fine margins and key turning points'. If the classic cliche about promotion teams is ‘the ability to win ugly when not playing well’ then is the opposite the case with relegation candidates - ‘the ability to play well (relatively) and get nothing out of a match’? I really hope not, as that seems to be the pattern for Argyle at the moment. Having attended every match at Home Park this season - and used my iFollow subscription to watch subsequent footage of every minute of every away game so far - I find it difficult to conclude that they are really playing badly enough to be languishing at the bottom of the league.

Now, before the pitchforks and flaming torches come out I will hastily say that obvious failings in defence and the clear inability to hit the target often enough would seem to suggest otherwise. BUT every match I have seen has moments of control, style, shape and domination by an Argyle side that is comprised of players who appear to be passionately fighting for the cause. Of course, those moments are not yet sufficient enough to merit a succession of three pointers. Instead, we seem to be scrabbling about, vainly hoping that our fortunes will change and we can turn things around, much like last season.

In many ways yesterday’s performance typified the pattern of our season so far (and, for that matter, a mirror image of this time last season). A lot of endeavour, moments of class and threat (normally involving Joel Grant, and the TLC triumvirate following the second half substitutions) but despite the huffing and puffing, no points (or even goals) on the board. Having followed Argyle for over half a century (bloody hell!) I am well used to repeatedly poor and mediocre spells where the feeling is that the team could play until midnight without scoring. Those times are invariably associated with sad, no-hope teams and/or a poor management structure and/or in-fighting at board/owner level. I certainly don’t get that feeling here. Yes, the team is struggling to find its rhythm but that’s happened at key stages in every single one of Derek Adam’s seasons. What is equally the case, however, is that he has, by whatever means, managed the peaks and troughs to consistently confound the naysayers. Whether that’s through management skills and talent, pure luck or sheer bloodymindedness, he has improved season upon season. I am not one to go on blind faith alone but sooner or later (sooner, please!) things have got to turn around and a jammy deflection or a goal off someone’s backside could be the catalyst to a complete reversal of form - which, as we know, is temporary, whereas class is permanent. Fingers firmly crossed...

Apr 5, 2008
Thanks for you post mark ,nice to read a balanced sensible post here for a change rather than the usual junk or stupid bickering of each other.

Ray Stidwell

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 20, 2003
Penn, near High Wycombe
‘Zackly moles40, Very well said Mark58 & I too Thank You for your post, the like of which I’d intended to write once I’d found the time & the will.
I even found the final “TLC period” of the match exhilarating!. Disappointing, obviously, that we failed to “really penetrate” & score in that period , but we certainly weren’t playing “ relegation football, by a hopeless team”......
.....Of course it’s worrying as hell that we’ve become poorer, & porous, in defence, & we need a solution. I can imagine that the rest of the team feel frustrated as hell by that, (but at least they weren’t fighting each other! ( how bizarre was that sight in the 93rd minute!)).
Fingers firmly crossed indeed, & onto Charlton.

Screen Corner

🇭🇰🇭🇰🇭🇰🇭🇰🇭🇰🇭🇰
Dec 11, 2016
Balham, London.
Mark58":16pvttx5 said:
I fully agree with the doctrine of 'fine margins and key turning points'. If the classic cliche about promotion teams is ‘the ability to win ugly when not playing well’ then is the opposite the case with relegation candidates - ‘the ability to play well (relatively) and get nothing out of a match’? I really hope not, as that seems to be the pattern for Argyle at the moment. Having attended every match at Home Park this season - and used my iFollow subscription to watch subsequent footage of every minute of every away game so far - I find it difficult to conclude that they are really playing badly enough to be languishing at the bottom of the league.

Now, before the pitchforks and flaming torches come out I will hastily say that obvious failings in defence and the clear inability to hit the target often enough would seem to suggest otherwise. BUT every match I have seen has moments of control, style, shape and domination by an Argyle side that is comprised of players who appear to be passionately fighting for the cause. Of course, those moments are not yet sufficient enough to merit a succession of three pointers. Instead, we seem to be scrabbling about, vainly hoping that our fortunes will change and we can turn things around, much like last season.

In many ways yesterday’s performance typified the pattern of our season so far (and, for that matter, a mirror image of this time last season). A lot of endeavour, moments of class and threat (normally involving Joel Grant, and the TLC triumvirate following the second half substitutions) but despite the huffing and puffing, no points (or even goals) on the board. Having followed Argyle for over half a century (bloody hell!) I am well used to repeatedly poor and mediocre spells where the feeling is that the team could play until midnight without scoring. Those times are invariably associated with sad, no-hope teams and/or a poor management structure and/or in-fighting at board/owner level. I certainly don’t get that feeling here. Yes, the team is struggling to find its rhythm but that’s happened at key stages in every single one of Derek Adam’s seasons. What is equally the case, however, is that he has, by whatever means, managed the peaks and troughs to consistently confound the naysayers. Whether that’s through management skills and talent, pure luck or sheer bloodymindedness, he has improved season upon season. I am not one to go on blind faith alone but sooner or later (sooner, please!) things have got to turn around and a jammy deflection or a goal off someone’s backside could be the catalyst to a complete reversal of form - which, as we know, is temporary, whereas class is permanent. Fingers firmly crossed...

Great post

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I say again, 1 win in 14 league matches has little to do with fine margins, it has a lot to do with not being good enough. If it were a 3 or 4 games, maybe I could buy it, but not 14, that's a big stretch.

Oct 16, 2016
You’re on a roll Mr Budge

Too many trying to over complicate what’s staring them in the face

Not good enough

Screen Corner

🇭🇰🇭🇰🇭🇰🇭🇰🇭🇰🇭🇰
Dec 11, 2016
Balham, London.
Cobi Budge":1wov6unc said:
I say again, 1 win in 14 league matches has little to do with fine margins, it has a lot to do with not being good enough. If it were a 3 or 4 games, maybe I could buy it, but not 14, that's a big stretch.

You're missing the overall point ,

I'm saying we haven't yet had a key turning point yet and all it takes is a slice of luck etc to gain momentum.

Jan 6, 2004
Mark58":6izspr84 said:

Unfortunately taking chances and avoiding defensive errors are by far the most important facets of the game at this level. These are the very things that are the key to our current problems. They go the absolute heart of the issue and no amount of possession/pressure or anything else will make up for it. Until this is sorted out the results will continue as they are almost regardless of how good the rest of our play is.

Sep 6, 2006
I don't recognizer this analysis where we have missed loads of chances. One or two maybe. If you are at home and losing to an average side you would be completely useless not to create any chances at all. Chances were created v Posh but nowhere near as many as them so let's not delude ourselves. We are NOT dominating games in any way shape or form and deserve to be where we are.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
There was no fine margin for Blackpool's first.
Once they skipped down our right with Riley completely absent, no covering midfielder and the centre back pulled out of position as a result. Cleared or missed i cant remember. We didn't learn, it wasn't corrected.

Twice they skipped down our right with Riley completely absent, no covering midfielder and the centre back pulled out of position as a result. Cleared or missed i cant remember. We didn't learn, it wasn't corrected.

Thrice they skipped down our right with Riley completely absent, no covering midfielder and the centre back pulled out of position as a result. Goal

That's not a fine margin that's a glaring error which someone should have put right.

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
Balham_Green":w2tne0d8 said:
I don't recognizer this analysis where we have missed loads of chances. One or two maybe. If you are at home and losing to an average side you would be completely useless not to create any chances at all. Chances were created v Posh but nowhere near as many as them so let's not delude ourselves. We are NOT dominating games in any way shape or form and deserve to be where we are.

Game Set and Match.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Mark Pedlar":1pwt64o8 said:
There was no fine margin for Blackpool's first.
Once they skipped down our right with Riley completely absent, no covering midfielder and the centre back pulled out of position as a result. Cleared or missed i cant remember. We didn't learn, it wasn't corrected.

Twice they skipped down our right with Riley completely absent, no covering midfielder and the centre back pulled out of position as a result. Cleared or missed i cant remember. We didn't learn, it wasn't corrected.

Thrice they skipped down our right with Riley completely absent, no covering midfielder and the centre back pulled out of position as a result. Goal

That's not a fine margin that's a glaring error which someone should have put right.
If you have extended highlights on ifollow, take a look at O’Keefe’s part in those situations.

Foxy may not be the quickest but he would have used his experience and helped Riley out in those situations.