1 goal in 5 away from home | Page 9 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

1 goal in 5 away from home

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
Balham_Green":lv4ikrxb said:
So you have completely disregarded the post above which talks a lot more sense - apart from 54 not being enough potentially. We need one other team apart from bottom 3 to have bad run. If they dont it could be tight with our shocking away form and tough fixtures at home. Now where was that humble pie thread?
Yes or if we beat our tough games we could finish top half, we don't know yet. I admit even though we're 12th we're still in a relegation fight. But then on the other hand the statisticians on the catch up thread have only given a 7% chance of relegation, which is extremely unlikely. So basically barring a miracle we're safe.

Even if you're going to be pessimistic and say we'll lose those games we'd still stay up, but just finish bottom half in all likelihood. :thumbup:

Mar 14, 2009
Voice_of_Reason":12v3x4ir said:
Apologises.

You do however, comment on our "shocking" away form.

We are 12th in the "away" form table (2nd in the home). The much feared Doncaster have 2 wins from their last 11 and would love to be in the form we are in.

If our away form is shocking, what word would you use to describe the away form of the 11 teams who's away form is currently worse than ours?

See "form tables" can be misleading. Do you take it off the last 5, 10, 15 games???

I think the only table that really matters is the league one table. Then if you spilt that table into home & away form you will see we are 20th in the away league with only Wimbledon scoring less goals away from home than us and Bradford City having worse overall goal difference than us.

https://www.soccerstats.com/homeaway.asp?league=england3

This season is a repeat of last seasons away form. You can have all the 5, 10 game form tables you like but im afraid the same outcome is shown. Under Adams in league one away from home Argyle simply dont score enough goals away from home to be competitive.

Scroll down the page from the link provided and it shows where the problem with Adams is. 64% of our goals scored at home and 34% of them are away. This wouldn't be an issue if overall we are a team that score a lot of goals. However we aren't, so that stat makes things even more damning.

I always wondered why at home when we win many of our games finish 2-1 at HP and that stat makes it pretty clear. Defensively we are good/bad/indifferent either home or away with 49% of goals conceded at HP and 51% away. However, at home we score enough goals to make up for any defensive fraities by our attacking prowess on the Home Park pitch. However, those defensive frailties cant be covered up away from home because we simply don't have enough attacking threat and penetration as scoring only 16 away goals tells us.

Voice of Reason

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
MGM - depends what side of the fence you sit on.

Go back through the thread, you are about the 9th person to raise the issue with "form tables" and of those people, the majority then point out we are playing an in-form Bristol Rovers and should be worried, without a hint of irony.

At what point of the season did we select/stumble upon the current line up, between Christmas and New Year, Sawyer returned, KL in goal (Macey has done well the last few games), went with Eddy/Canavan. From that point we have been very good. Faultless, no, but our 2019 record of played 13, won 7, drawn 3, lost 3 compares very favourably with the vast majority in the division.
We have improved immeasurably from the shambolic early season performances, no one has looked like thrashing us, even the games we have lost Wycombe, Sunderland Fleetwood, we were in the game for large periods, certainly at Sunderland it could be argued a stronger referee would have rightly awarded us a penalty during a spell where we were well on top.
We aren't perfect, far from it, but we shouldn't be a nervous quivering wreck for the remainder of the season, the four teams that have to come to us must all think - crikey look at their home record since Xmas, i'll take a point.

I take your point about away goals, but i think DA had to make a decision when we were bottom as to the best way out of the predicament and his way was to play a very rigid (and was perhaps dull) system. In an ideal world he'd probably love to have Aiden McGeady on the books and play with width and gay abandon, but from where we were, that isn't or wasn't a realistic outlook to take.

Jul 19, 2018
London
argyle.life
Metal_Green_Mickey":1u7ff4bh said:
Cobi Budge":1u7ff4bh said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":1u7ff4bh said:
It’s nothing to do with Ladapo. Wish people would stop having a go at him. He does well on the scraps he gets.

Who ever plays upfront doesn’t get the support they need. It’s a system issue.

Not having a go at Ladapo?

He suits games when we play passing football & really look to have a go. Taylor suits games when we need to make the ball stick.

Both of them have attributes & flaws, they suit different situations hence why they should be rotated.

It's not a system issue, it's that Ladapo doesn't suit the system when we come up against the better sides, just as Taylor wouldn't be as effective against the lesser teams when pace & penetration matter more.

Ok, dont we play the same type of system currently as we did last year?

So why last season were we one of the lowest goal scoring teams all season away from home in league one? Didn’t we have Taylor up front then?

We just simply don’t create many chances as an away team and it puts a lot of pressure on people to score the one or two opportunities they get.

During the period in which Taylor was fit, Argyle ranked tenth for away goals per game (1.22). Only failed to score in one game - Charlton away - in which Taylor himself hit the post following an excellent fingertips save.

Without Taylor Argyle scored at a rate of 0.71 goals per game away from home.

Mar 14, 2009
Voice_of_Reason":u28qm01o said:
MGM - depends what side of the fence you sit on.

Go back through the thread, you are about the 9th person to raise the issue with "form tables" and of those people, the majority then point out we are playing an in-form Bristol Rovers and should be worried, without a hint of irony.

At what point of the season did we select/stumble upon the current line up, between Christmas and New Year, Sawyer returned, KL in goal (Macey has done well the last few games), went with Eddy/Canavan. From that point we have been very good. Faultless, no, but our 2019 record of played 13, won 7, drawn 3, lost 3 compares very favourably with the vast majority in the division.
We have improved immeasurably from the shambolic early season performances, no one has looked like thrashing us, even the games we have lost Wycombe, Sunderland Fleetwood, we were in the game for large periods, certainly at Sunderland it could be argued a stronger referee would have rightly awarded us a penalty during a spell where we were well on top.
We aren't perfect, far from it, but we shouldn't be a nervous quivering wreck for the remainder of the season, the four teams that have to come to us must all think - crikey look at their home record since Xmas, i'll take a point.

I take your point about away goals, but i think DA had to make a decision when we were bottom as to the best way out of the predicament and his way was to play a very rigid (and was perhaps dull) system. In an ideal world he'd probably love to have Aiden McGeady on the books and play with width and gay abandon, but from where we were, that isn't or wasn't a realistic outlook to take.

Maybe I'm wrong and your right. Its just an opinion I have. You have made several really good arguments to be fair.

As for the form table I just try to look at it as a collective because I think you can pick n choose bits which suits a case you want to make.

I hope we stay up and I hope next season DA goes on to prove me wrong.

Sep 6, 2006
Kentishgreen":2amj8zz5 said:
Balham, try the predictor on The Fishy. If we beat Rovers and Scunny and take no other points from our remaining fixtures then we stay up. Simple as. As has been said before there’s no room for complacency but neither is there room for doom laden scaremongering. What will be will be but we’d have to lose every single one of our remaining fixtures to go down. Realistically is that going to happen? Yes we had a bad run in last year but the circumstances are completely different this year.

Big ifs that. And if it goes to last game of season anything could happen.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Balham_Green":2125m2xz said:
Kentishgreen":2125m2xz said:
Balham, try the predictor on The Fishy. If we beat Rovers and Scunny and take no other points from our remaining fixtures then we stay up. Simple as. As has been said before there’s no room for complacency but neither is there room for doom laden scaremongering. What will be will be but we’d have to lose every single one of our remaining fixtures to go down. Realistically is that going to happen? Yes we had a bad run in last year but the circumstances are completely different this year.

Big ifs that. And if it goes to last game of season anything could happen.

I think the Scunny game will be a dead rubber.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Balham_Green":1ccdm1ov said:
Voice_of_Reason":1ccdm1ov said:
Balham you really are a prize.

What disregard? Someone has given their opinion - i've given mine, welcome to the world of debate.

As for 54 points not being enough, what odds would you like that 54 isn't enough?

Read it properly. I said I disagreed with him that 54 may not be enough!
In the season I referred to earlier (Championship 12/13), after 38 games Peterborough were in the drop zone on 42 points. Exactly what 21st place Walsall are on now. And whilst that league table wasn't quite as tight as this one, where there are 9 teams within 3 points of the drop zone, it wasn't far off - there were 9 teams within 6 points.

54 will probably be enough - but I wouldn't bet my house on it, at all.

Mar 16, 2009
London
The way I see it, these are the games we should be confident to win.

Charlton (H)
Gillingham (A)
Barnsley (H)
Doncaster (A)
Accrington (A)
Scunthorpe (H)

That’s 18 points.

Should be enough to stay up.