1966 and all that | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

1966 and all that

stewthenoo

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 24, 2005
YELVERTON
IJN":12qsdmac said:
I hope it's shown in Scotland.

:funny: ,,,,and who was the first team to beat England after their World Cup win? That must make us World Cup beaters. :cool:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Jim Baxter lived three doors up from us Stew. We never heard the last of it .

Barrie Davis

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Oct 26, 2005
Torbay
I had the chance to meet Ken Wolstenholme shortly before he died as he lived in Churston, near Paignton and I asked him about 1966, not the WC Final, but the FA Cup Final. His recall was amazing, considering his age and the number of games he had seen. He said "Yes, Everton went a goal down inside 5 minutes to a McCalliog goal and Ford scored with half an hour to go. Everton up against it at 2-0 down but Trebilcock, recently bought from Plymouth Argyle, got on the end of two knock downs to bring them level and Derek Temple collected the ball in the centre circle to run through and score the winner." Nice man.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Barrie Davis":33rcwauj said:
I had the chance to meet Ken Wolstenholme shortly before he died as he lived in Churston, near Paignton and I asked him about 1966, not the WC Final, but the FA Cup Final. His recall was amazing, considering his age and the number of games he had seen. He said "Yes, Everton went a goal down inside 5 minutes to a McCalliog goal and Ford scored with half an hour to go. Everton up against it at 2-0 down but Trebilcock, recently bought from Plymouth Argyle, got on the end of two knock downs to bring them level and Derek Temple collected the ball in the centre circle to run through and score the winner." Nice man.
I would so love to have met him.
Did he also tell you the story about having to go and see Mike Trebilcock on the morning of the game, once he knew Catterick had picked him? It appears that his producer told Wolstenholme that he could not call the player Trebilcock (rhyming with lock) on national TV. He would have to call him Trebilcock (rhyming with Coe).

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Barrie Davis":30wi1qky said:

Great old commentator who gained immortality with his 'they think it’s all over' shout.
Mind you, the description of the last goal isn’t quite right. I know because I was there and had it imprinted on my mind. My first ever O W L S match.

Hopeful long ball out of Everton’s area. Wednesday defender Gerry Young tries to trap it instead of booting it clear, about twenty yards inside his own half. Ball goes under his foot. Temple runs through to score the winner. Remains the only FA cup final where a team have come back to win in normal time after being 2-0 down. Still gutted. :banghead:

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Poor old Gerry Young, a loyal 1-club man who was a great servant to Wednesday, but will be forever remembered for that one particular moment.

What is less well remembered is that Norman Hunter made the identical mistake at the same end at Wembley in 1973, allowing Lato to score for Poland which meant that England did not make the 1974 World Cup. But in fairness to Norman, I still reckon Shilton should have saved it.

Jun 27, 2019
demportdave":1a6tm4ya said:
Poor old Gerry Young, a loyal 1-club man who was a great servant to Wednesday, but will be forever remembered for that one particular moment.

What is less well remembered is that Norman Hunter made the identical mistake at the same end at Wembley in 1973, allowing Lato to score for Poland which meant that England did not make the 1974 World Cup. But in fairness to Norman, I still reckon Shilton should have saved it.

I saw that goal in the Bobby Moore documentary the other day. If I didn't know any better I would stake a fair amount of cash on Hunter and Shilton being on bribes to lose that day. It was such a terrible goal that included mistakes from both of them that you wouldn't expect to see at Sunday League level never mind an international at Wembley!

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
demportdave":10wjr0nk said:

Definitely it was a right howler.

Anyway really enjoyed the channel 4 coverage of the final.